The ThrottleStop Guide

Discussion in 'Hardware Components and Aftermarket Upgrades' started by unclewebb, Nov 7, 2010.

1. hexaae

hexaae Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Is there a way to run TS ignoring 'ExitTime=n' paramter in the .ini?
    I wanted to create a shortcut to run TS without having to modify the ini every time.
    Maybe also a parameter to launch TS forcing GUI ON (not iconified ) even if you saved to iconify it in the tray as default? :)

Small request
    Can you add CPU Type info on FIVR and other customizing panels? I've seen many sshots on the internet of your program, and thought it would be easier to immediately understand what's the CPU users are talking about from their screenshots ;) Maybe (f.e.) " (i7-8750H)" added to the window tile would be enough.

joluke and tilleroftheearth like this.
  2. cucubits

cucubits Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    @unclewebb when you get a few moments, please check out my post here:

http://forum.notebookreview.com/thr...71-owners-lounge.826856/page-11#post-10891267

Discovered something interesting and I'm not sure if it's ThrottleStop related or not but it may be worth taking a look. It's not just one isolated case, it was replicated on another 703GX too.

In short, the ROG G703GX would appear to be locked (couldn't change voltages and TRL in FIVR) but a simple action of putting windows to sleep and waking it up magically unlocks these settings. After a windows shut down, this needs to be repeated to unlock again.

I'm digging around wondering how windows messes this up. Anyone seen this behavior ever anywhere?

pressing and tilleroftheearth like this.
  3. unclewebb

unclewebb ThrottleStop Author

Reputations:
    Are you using the Task Scheduler to start ThrottleStop and if you are, did you follow the guide in the second post of this thread? Before I do some testing, I want to see if your problem is Windows related.

I agree that adding the CPU name to each window is a good idea. I too get frustrated when searching the web for ThrottleStop screenshots and not being sure what CPU TS is running on.

Why would anyone want to exit ThrottleStop, ever? :D
    Not a bad idea but no plans to continue working on TS at the moment.

@cucubits - I was reading on the TPU forum about the same thing where doing a suspend / resume cycle unlocked the offset voltages. My question over there was, is Intel XTU installed? If it is I would delete it. Do some testing and try to isolate this problem. Is it the bios that initially sets the lock bit and then forgets to set it after a suspend / resume cycle or is Intel XTU or any software that uses XTU involved in this problem. I know TS does not lock the offset voltages. That would be a dumb thing to do deliberately. Who is guilty of this?

Papusan and tilleroftheearth like this.
  4. cucubits

cucubits Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Interesting.
    No, I don't have Intel XTU installed. I will dig around some more and post back if I figure it out.
    I wonder if it's the same on a completely clean windows install (without all the asus crapware).

5. t456

t456 1977-09-05, 12:56:00 UTC Moderator

Reputations:
    Not entirely sure if this really does what you want to accomplish, but if it's a parameter in the .ini then you could use a small script to modify its content prior to starting TS. Make two scripts, create a shortcut to both and you can choose to start it with the specific parameters you want.

Use this for a .cmd in the ThrottleStop folder and it will keep the current .ini values except changing the DCExitTime value to 0 (disabling this function):
    Code:
    echo on

set replacestring=DCExitTime
    set replacevalue=0

type ThrottleStop.ini | findstr /B /I /R /V /C:"%replacestring%=.*" > ThrottleStop_temp.ini
    echo %replacestring%^=^%replacevalue%>>ThrottleStop_temp.ini 2>&1
    copy /A /Y ThrottleStop_temp.ini ThrottleStop.ini
    del /F /Q ThrottleStop_temp.ini
    start /B ThrottleStop.exe
    And a second .cmd to start TS with a value for the DCExitTime:
    Code:
    echo on

set replacestring=DCExitTime
    set replacevalue=123

type ThrottleStop.ini | findstr /B /I /R /V /C:"%replacestring%=.*" > ThrottleStop_temp.ini
    echo %replacestring%^=^%replacevalue%>>ThrottleStop_temp.ini 2>&1
    copy /A /Y ThrottleStop_temp.ini ThrottleStop.ini
    del /F /Q ThrottleStop_temp.ini
    start /B ThrottleStop.exe
    Of course, you can set the 'replacestring' and 'replacevalue' parameters with anything you like (say 'CPUColor' and '0x12AA03', respectively). Or modify it a bit to change more initial startup values at once.

The command window that's popping up can be hidden through a small .vbs, which then becomes the effective startup script:
    Code:
    Set WshShell = CreateObject("WScript.Shell")
    WshShell.Run chr(34) & "ThrottleStop_notimeout.cmd" & Chr(34), 0
    Set WshShell = Nothing
    Code:
    Set WshShell = CreateObject("WScript.Shell")
    WshShell.Run chr(34) & "ThrottleStop_timeout.cmd" & Chr(34), 0
    Set WshShell = Nothing
    The resulting Options page when starting the notimeout vbs vs. the timeout vbs:

[​IMG] [​IMG]

To make things work nicely with Task Scheduler you can also set a few registry settings a bit more lenient. These helped me to get a more consistent behaviour when auto-starting the .vbs:
    Code:
    Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Lsa]
    "LimitBlankPasswordUse"=dword:00000000
    [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System]
    "EnableLinkedConnections"=dword:00000001
    Made an archive with all of the startup scripts:
    ThrottleStop - startup scripts.7z

Queen 6 and tilleroftheearth like this.
  6. Tmansdc

Tmansdc Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Ok in my msi gp63 leopard with an i7 8750h I have the cache and core set to -.1582 and gpu, unslice and system agent set to -.0703.

Until 24 hours ago everything worked fine. I have every setting known to people turned to max performance and power. Prior to 24 hours ago my FID wouldn't go under 38 for any core and would even jump to just shy of 41 if allowed. Since then though the fid has dropped as low as 32 for cores and intermittently drops to as low as 24 for a few seconds.

I used to get between 1205 to 1230 in cinebench r15 but now it's between 1140 and 1190.

Did I accidentally damage my processor? Over usage? Registry file I need to change? What?

Thank you very much.

7. michel40

michel40 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Ok my bad. I did read the post, but missed the red line... idiot.
    Yes, launch with the Task Scheduler. The problem was the gray bax into the conditions "stop if the computer switches to batetry power"

Papusan and tilleroftheearth like this.
  8. Papusan

Papusan JOKEBOOK's Sucks! Dont waste your $$$ on FILTHY

Reputations:
  9. michel40

michel40 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    LMAO :D

I read so many things as I am trying to lean how to undervolt correctly. Maybe someone could help, as I'm hitting my limits.

I got a 7700hq and the stable setting I found are : CPU core and cache -105v, IGPU IGPU unslice and system agent -60v
    1ST goal is to lower cpu temp one AC profile.
    2ND goal is battery on DC profile.

So considering the very different things I read, my questions are :
    - Should I try to undervolt less cache to undervolt more core?
    - If I undervolt less IGPU IGPU unslice and system agent, may it help to undervolt more core?
    - What is the most important to lower CPU temp?
    - What is the most important to lower power consumption
    I'm a bit confused with everything I fonud here and there.
    Thanks

10. Papusan

Papusan JOKEBOOK's Sucks! Dont waste your $$$ on FILTHY

Reputations:
    1 - Try both ways + as well Core and Cashe equal. Only testing (trial/error) will confirm what's works for you.
    2 - Nope, I don't think so.
    3 - Voltage and proper done thermal paste/pads. Be sure heatsink is in good shape.
    4 - See point 3