The Smallest MXM Laptop

Discussion in 'Gaming (Software and Graphics Cards)' started by DataShell, Sep 22, 2018.

1. Prema

Prema Your Freedom, Your Choice

Reputations:
    Taping CPU PINs (on a 500 bucks chip) to prevent broken boards/CPUs, loosing features like g-sync, questionable performance and not being able to use any of Intel's current and future ME security updates without bricking the system is maybe something a rare percentage of user stuck with an old system is willing to do, but not really advisable to someone looking to invest into a new system with Plug'n'Play support which they get right out of the box with a P7 or P8-TM-Series model.

Last edited: Sep 23, 2018
    FTW_260 and sicily428 like this.
  2. aaronne

aaronne Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:

Ok going in order to reply:
    Taping? not problem, there are many other way to burn every MoBos also without mod (from z170M oc formula bios mod back to march, there are no documented burn'd motherBoard).

Lost gsync? Nvidia licensing problem, VS user upgrade path. Every street has its light and dark.

Questionable performance? blah blah here or proof.

Are any know IME exploits working or just vulnerability found? Don't mind, users from big company aren't using this type of product but only locked machine from contractor vendor (Dell,HP etc.) so the adoption/update percentage is also low here.

3. Prema

Reputations:
    It may have been the best solution for your skill set and situation as you already pre-owned that model.

Looking forward to see the actual performance of the 9900K in there!

I don't know about the MSI return rates, but at least on Clevo models these adventures have already burned a bunch of hardware. User just tend to vanish for RMA instead of posting their failures in public.

Why would anyone in his right mind, who wants to purchase a new system, shed out the money for an old MSI or old Clevo model if they can have a new model with none of the above problems.

It is simply not advisable to the majority of user.

4. aaronne

aaronne Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    http://hwbot.org/submission/3880750_alex_ro_superpi___32m_core_i7_8700k_4min_8sec_47ms

7.34Ghz 8700K LN2 cooling on z270 Asus moBo, 6th place world record (today, 1st place on 12/06/2018)

Also this remeber me an old trick from xeon771 to sk775..

Really strange words, I should only answer in this way

upload_2018-9-23_13-24-22.png

My choice is freedom

Prema likes this.
  5. Prema

Reputations:
    This is not about desktop hardware with sufficient cooling and Liquid Nitrogen is it? ;)
    We tested experimental Mods early this year on all older Clevo P7/P8 DM, DM3 & KM1 and every tester gave me the exact same feedback:

The systems stock cooling, designed for 6700K & 7700K, couldn't even keep the system cool enough with the new chip to hold stock clocks over more than the duration of a few benches (tested with all other throttle than temperature removed from the firmware).
    New TM models stock cooling can run a 8700K in the 5Ghz+ all core region all day long without breaking a sweat and even for them doing the same on a 9900K is a challenge.

Testing was done with very advanced user that knew exactly what they where doing. User that don't return a system because it doesn't perform as advertised. User that don't brick it by running simple security updates or put in a new CPU without taping PINs properly.

You and I can do whatever we want with our own hardware.
    What I can not have are broken systems being returned to Clevo due to a firmware I made available without thinking about the consequences:

http://forum.notebookreview.com/thr...m-owners-lounge.809621/page-159#post-10795651

Maleko48, Falkentyne and Arrrrbol like this.
  6. Raidriar

Raidriar ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)

Reputations:
    Lmfao

Aroc, Prema and Falkentyne like this.
  7. Prema

Reputations:
    Yeah I wish it was a joke...I guess you won't be surprised that even some reseller are selling the new chips with old boards, to get rid off old over-stock, with neither taping the CPU nor letting customer even know what they are buying into...they think if it boots their job is done.

Aroc and Maleko48 like this.
  8. Mobius 1

Mobius 1 nͫٴiͤٴcͫٴeͤ੮Һ૯ ცɿ૭ ૭ค ̷̧̟̭̺͕̜̦̔̏̊̍ͧ͊́̚̕͞ עٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴ

Reputations:

Just like any *good* manufacturer: Dell, HP, Clevo/Sager, Lenovo, Acer, ASSus, MSi, (some other niche brand here)

[​IMG]

Maleko48 likes this.
  9. Charles P. Jefferies

Charles P. Jefferies TG Lead Moderator Super Moderator

Reputations:
    Not that it's entirely related, but this Shuttle mini-PC uses MXM. It's 7.5(L) x 6.5(W) x 1.7(H) inches. Smaller than any laptop that uses MXM, I think. It would be practical to transport from place to place if you had a display where you were going.
    Those people must be rocket scientists in training ...if it launches into orbit, it's good. One try is all you get, right? ;)

Charles