The Reseller Guide

Discussion in 'What Notebook Should I Buy?' started by Galm, Apr 16, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Galm

Galm "Stand By, We're Analyzing The Situation!"

Reputations:
    Update: more finalized guide. Tiers removed. They're too misleading, even the past "tier 1s" have disappointed me. The descriptions should be more useful. The order is alphabetized to minimize bias.

I'm asked a lot about the reseller options in the United States. So this is going to be a breakdown of the gaming laptop resellers mainly focused on the United States with a few others mentioned.

To avoid being overly specific and angering people, there are no tiers

All companies will get a brief description of what they sell, and if they offer anything unique.

Please note, I did not bother defining oems vs resellers. If you want me to clarify that you're an OEM company reps let me know.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    AvaDirect
    - They offer the 120Hz displays on the Clevo P650HP6 and they have very competitive prices, undercutting Sager on some models.
    Active Reps: None

CyberPowerPC - Poor Pricing, they do offer some interesting models like the GT83 barebones (well priced, MX brown non RGB keyboard). Most other units can be had cheaper from elsewhere. Quality control is somewhat questionable as they claim they touch their notebooks but they may not.
    ActiveReps: None

Eluktronics - Prices on their normal website are decent. But what makes this company stand out is their Newegg and Amazon sales. I've seen P650RP6 units under 1100 dollars on Newegg before. So keep an eye out on their stores on Amazon and Newegg if you're looking for a deal. Their N850 models have a better IPS display than most of the rest with 72% NTSC vs 45% on most.
    Active Reps: @Eluktronics

Eurocom - An almost exceptional reseller. They do a lot of great things. For a little extra you can get the Prema bios if available, and they have a lot of good custom machines. The MSI 16L13 is their own creation from partnering with MSI and is a glorious 15" with soldered parts and up to a GTX 1080 (sold by a few other places too). They also created the 780W power supply for beefy systems. Their downfall is ram and storage prices. They are... Quite frankly poor. They have a repeat customer and student discount of 10%. (They stack too) So if you are going to keep using them or are a student and get a basic config you can get a good deal. The 256GB 850 Pro drive is also a decent price on certain machines if you need a drive. Note they are not Eurocom Europe.
    Active Reps: @Eurocom Support @EurocomTechspert

Falcon Northwest - Their prices are so high it's ridiculous. A Clevo P650RP6 starts at 2200 dollars! It's normally like 1600 for a similar config! If you want the laptop full body painted and are rich, this is an option... Their warranty, sales, and effort are Tier 1 class. But their prices are just horrific.

GenTechPC - Another standout Sager reseller for offering liquid ultra repastes, they also offer many other brands. They often offer great deals on thermal compound upgrades. Conductive pastes are often almost free.
    Active Reps: @GenTechPC

HIDEvolution - Similar to Obsidian these guys delid cpus, use shims (though I believe not soldered), and also repaste with liquid ultra as standard. Additionally, they offer silicon lottery high binned cpus and factory overclocking. HID also sells many different brands. They also have a great reputation for customer service, and if cost isn't an issue have an impressive albeit pricey global warranty. Also a Prema partner for that unlocked goodness.
    Active Reps: @Donald@HIDevolution @Ted@HIDevolution @Zoltan@HIDevolution

iBuyPower - There is nothing directly wrong with them. They have a nice active forum rep and good options. Their main problem they need to fix (which would make me change their rank) is their pricing is higher than most of the Tier 2's without any value added service. Without things like delidding, conductive paste, or overclocking I can't really recommend paying extra. Let me know if they can spec out better in the future.
    Active Reps: @Johnksss@iBUYPOWER

LPC-Digital - Perhaps the best Sager reseller in the U.S. LPC Digital is known for great customer service. However, one of the things that edges them a bit above the rest is for enthusiasts they offer the Prema bios mod for high end Clevo models.
    Active Reps: @Larry@LPC-Digital

Malibal - Banned from NBR for censorship. They do offer the Sharp Displays on P650 units. They also went dark on like every other site at the same time.

Mythlogic - Prices aren't great. They also don't even offer hard drives... Only ssds. An HID config is cheaper for the same machine. And HID is usually more expensive than a respective Sager. Customer support needs work. Negative experiences reported here recently. Customer support was once quite good, but seems to have dropped in enthusiasm in recent years.
    Active Reps: @mythlogic

ObsidianPC - If you want a Clevo these guys are one of the best. One of the few not in the U.S. I'll be talking about, these guys set the gold standard for how to sell you a high end machine. Not only do they delid cpus, they even solder shims onto the cpu IHS, and repaste with Condonaut. Great reputation for customer service, and they'll even show you benchmarking results they used to test your machine.
    Active Reps: @John@OBSIDIAN-PC

OriginPC - Prices are higher than HID... They don't do anything better than them though (or as much as them)...

Prostar - Nothing too special, but they have pretty competitive prices and multiple brands. Worth a price check if you're in the market for a machine.
    Active Reps: @Prostar Computer

ReflexNotebook - Another Sager reseller. Currently only selling Sager's they may be a good choice for Canadian customers as they have a .ca domain along with a .com

XoticPC - Xotic is another reseller that sells many different brands. One of the things I currently find interesting about them is they offer some newer Xotic branded Clevos that can feature the Prema bios. Line up isn't complete yet, but it's good to see. They also offer a great mod shop if you want a custom looking laptop.
    Active Reps: @Tanner@XoticPC @pat@XOTICPC

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So that's the reseller guide in a nutshell.

Rep's pm me if I got something wrong. I compared prices by taking models and getting the configs as exact to each other as possible.

@Mr. Fox @Papusan @ryzeki @hmscott @LunaP @TomJGX @Raidriar @Khenglish @Prema @Phoenix @Meaker@Sager (I didn't count you as a reseller, I'll change if you want) @don_svetlio @pendragonfalls @PendragonInc @DackEW @Dackzy @iunlock @zergslayer69 @DeeX @Cass-Olé @triturbo

Last edited: Oct 2, 2017
  2. yutzybrian

yutzybrian Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I have ordered from at least one reseller of each tier, list looks pretty solid to me :vbthumbsup:

3. Galm

Reputations:
    Which three if you don't mind me asking. I see the HID.

4. yutzybrian

yutzybrian Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    XoticPC: Sager NP9872-S and CyberPowerPC Fangbook

woodzstack and Galm like this.
  5. The Strategist

The Strategist Living with Hope

Reputations:
    Informative list, appreciated efforts. You just need to make sure about the classification fairness, and clarify the evaluation criteria to be clear for everyone, and the list should be updated periodically depending on those companies achievements and failures.
    My laptops ordered from XoticPC, Eurocom and AvaDirect for the last 16 years. My 1st DTR laptop was Eurocom 1100 (K6/300 machine).

Last edited: Apr 26, 2017
    woodzstack likes this.
  6. Galm

Reputations:
    Of course. Most resellers should be tier 2. That's "normal".

Higher requires above and beyond cooling services like delidding and OCing etc...

Tier 2.5 talks about why they are there.

Tier 3 has issues and is all described. All the three you talked about are all fine, they don't do anything above and beyond, or anything alarming.

I'm mostly ignoring CS experiences unless they are consistently alarming.

woodzstack and The Strategist like this.
  7. Mobius 1

Mobius 1 Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    woodzstack likes this.
  8. Galm

Reputations:
    Yeah I debated including him. I wanted to wait for his website to get more established.

It's like a Tier 1 but to be blunt a little riskier since he isn't as well established as the others. I'm a fan though.

woodzstack and The Strategist like this.
  9. The Strategist

The Strategist Living with Hope

Reputations:
    Yes I'm a fan as well, he helped and supported me with my GPU's problems, I expect him to have a promising future.
    @woodzstack

woodzstack likes this.
  10. edit1754

edit1754 Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    I'll also add: Eluktronics seems to use better FHD displays for at least the cheaper N850 series than other resellers I've checked with.

Eluktronics uses 72% NTSC color gamut IPS FHD displays in theirs, whereas Sager and Prostar last I checked were using 45% NTSC color gamut IPS FHD displays -- though they do mention they cycle their screen models out often. If this is important to you, I would contact each company's sales departments when you're about to place your order, to see what's currently being used for the panel.

Though as with the 4K config options offered by most Clevo resellers, the 4K option in the Eluktronics models is PenTile (RG/BW) not-true-4K. For this reason, if you're looking for a GTX 1050 Ti and want a great screen, my recommendations are: Eluktronics N850 if you want FHD, Dell Inspiron 7567 if you want 4K, knowing of course that if you choose 4K on this GPU you will have to run most newer games in non-native res, and also that for this price you might be able to get a GTX 1060 + FHD laptop instead.

Once you at least start getting into G-Sync models, all companies are using 72% NTSC color gamut panels for FHD, if I'm not mistaken.

Last edited: Apr 27, 2017
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.