The Ranger returns to the USA

Discussion in 'Motorized Vehicles' started by Mitlov, Jan 14, 2018.

1. Tsunade_Hime

Tsunade_Hime such bacon. wow

Reputations:
    All I'm saying is, I think the Ridgeline doesn't sell well because people don't think it's a real truck. If Honda truly did something amazing with the Ridgeline that is so radically different or better than a traditional truck, but they haven't. Alot of trucks are purchased by construction sites, used as delivery cars (though I don't really think you need a pickup for that), towing and hauling alot of crap. I honestly don't understand why Honda even bothered with redesigning and remaking another Ridgeline and pouring money into the marketing campaign. I'm sure it's development costs are shared with that and the Pilot/Odyssey, but meh, I don't feel like it is compelling. I think I can agree, I like the Ridgeline 1st gen compared to the 2nd gen styling, but the 1st gen wasn't that good looking TBH.

To be perfectly honest, I can see Mazda axing the 6 and the 5. The 3 sells in great numbers to justify a redesign and updates, but they barely sell 6's compared to the CX-5/3. Since the divorce from Ford and a limited partnership with Toyota, Mazda in general doesn't have the resources right now to do major overhauls of everything all at once, hence the shared engines, infotainment. In general all sedan sales are dropping, Ford is strongly rumored to axe the Fiesta in America, they are halting a Fusion redesign. Not saying the 5/6 are bad at all, the 6 is probably the "sportiest" mid sized sedan under like 30k, you need to go European to get a more dynamic mid sized sedan and pay closer to 40-50k. I think the new Honda Accord could rival the 6, but Honda generally makes the Accord a good balance of comfort and sportiness, so IMO it's probably a good half step below the 6 in handling and fun factor. The 5 is kinda funky, we did look at one. I kinda wish they made it a tiny bit longer so the rear trunk would have more space with the 3rd row up.

Wasn't the R50 Pathfinder unibody? The OG Pathfinder was basically a Frontier with a cap on the roof, and R51 was a return to a pretty true offroading SUV. Also I hate Nissan's VG V6 engines, damn timing belt and horror stories of working on VG30's in 300ZX, *shudders*. I don't think the VQ series V6 engines are any less durable? VQ40DE is pretty damn impressive, 266-270 hp, almost 300 ft lb of torque. My friend has an '01 Frontier with the VG33ER (supercharged variant).

2. saturnotaku

saturnotaku Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    The Mazda 5 has been dead in the US since 2015. It was sold in Canada as late as last year, and the company recently announced that it would be halting all minivan development and production by the end of this year. The 6 is being significantly refreshed for 2018, and Mazda is finally addressing its largest weakness - power. The CX-9's turbo four-cylinder will be available. They're also taking the 6, and their other vehicles from the 2016 CX-9 going forward, upmarket. A loaded 6 turbo will probably cost somewhere in the $36,000-$38,000 range. You might think that's the wrong strategy, but more than half of the brand's CUV sales consists of top-line Grand Touring and Signature trim levels. Even at a much lower sales volume and with far less incentive spending compared to Honda, Toyota, or Nissan, Mazda can still turn a profit if people are ponying up for the most expensive models.

Here's a sad statistic - Mazda sold less than 35,000 6 sedans in all of 2017. Toyota sold more than 43,000 Camrys in December 2017 alone.

The R50 Pathfinder was unibody. I actually preferred the looks of the Infiniti version - the QX4.

3. Mitlov

Mitlov Shiny

Reputations:
    It doesn't matter if the Ridgeline has 50% of the sales of the Frontier or 10% of the sales of the Silverado if they're making money on every one they sell. Fully-loaded family-friendly midsize pickups tend to have very, very high profit margins.

It's like asking why Apple sells Macs if they're always going to be outsold 10-to-1 by Windows PCs, and more so in the enterprise context.

4. Support.2@XOTIC PC

Support.2@XOTIC PC Company Representative

Reputations:
    I see them everywhere in suburbia. They're not doing much work, just function as a pickup occasionally. Which is probably all the owner needs.

5. Mitlov

Mitlov Shiny

Reputations:
    If people buy a BMW M3 as their daily driver and take it to the track once a year, they're applauded for using the full capability of the car. If someone uses a Ranger or Ridgeline as a daily driver and take it to the home improvement store once a month, a lot of people say they don't use its capabilities enough to justify owning it. I don't understand the distinction.

saturnotaku likes this.
  6. saturnotaku

Reputations:
    There has been a seismic shift in the pickup market. Recreational buyers are increasing at a dramatic rate, and they're spending BMW money on them. The average transaction price on the Ford F-Series in 2017 was almost $48,000, and that's with occasionally massive incentives, so the sticker prices on these rigs were well into $50,000s. A few years ago I interviewed the head of the Ram (Fiat-Chrysler) truck brand, and he said he had no price ceiling on his products. This is evidenced by the fact that Ford just introduced the Super Duty Limited, the F450 version of which can have a sticker price just shy of $100,000.

7. hmscott

hmscott Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    First of all, bless you for posting that carsalesbase.com site, I'm gonna enjoy spending a bunch'a time clicking through the data. :)

Looking at the truck sales data links you shared, I was wondering what all the fuss was about trucks outselling cars, until I got to the Chevy Silverado sales data, wow:
    http://carsalesbase.com/us-car-sales-data/chevrolet/chevrolet-silverado/

Last edited: Jan 25, 2018
  8. saturnotaku

Reputations:
    One out of every 20 vehicles of any stripe sold in the United States was a Ford F-Series. It outsold the Silverado and its Siamese twin, the GMC Sierra, combined.

Mitlov and hmscott like this.
  9. hmscott

hmscott Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    Double damn, I'm not done with the Chevrolet data yet, I haven't made it to Ford, now I gotta go through the Ford Truck sales too?? ;)

Phew!, there is a summary data article for the month and year, mixed, but trucks are on top:
    http://carsalesbase.com/us-sales-december-2017-models/

Here's the top 25 in sales:
    carsalesbase dec 2017 month and year top 25 in sales.JPG

Last edited: Jan 25, 2018
  10. Support.2@XOTIC PC

Support.2@XOTIC PC Company Representative

Reputations:
    I was saying the Ridgeline a good buy in suburbia. They have a good ride, comfy seats, fairly spacious, good features, everything you'd want in your daily driver, and then if you really want to you can hook your boat to it or help someone move or bring home stuff for a project and it's not inadequate to the task, perfect for someone who isn't actually going to use it much. Pretty similar to the BMW in this case, the M3 is a good daily that you can take to the track if you want.

Mitlov and hmscott like this.