The Ranger returns to the USA

Discussion in 'Motorized Vehicles' started by Mitlov, Jan 14, 2018.

1. Tsunade_Hime

Tsunade_Hime such bacon. wow

Reputations:
    Yup and once Chevy puts in the 8/10speed auto, it should get even better gas mileage. I think that is going to happen soon. Honestly I think the 2.8L Duramax diesel is worth the price premium, the 3.6L V6 powerband is very high end and isn't very good for towing. That and it still has some wonky issues (crappy PCV valve, etc). And I think with the diesel you should get like 21-22 mpg combined (probably higher if you do alot of highway cruising), vs 17 combined for the V6 4WD.

2. H.A.L. 9000

H.A.L. 9000 Occam's Chainsaw

Reputations:
    Almost looks like it was built on a Honda platform. Also, if you can't get it in a manual, it's useless.

Ranger is supposed to be a simple little work truck.

3. Tsunade_Hime

Reputations:
    I couldn't even say that. The Ridgeline isn't a real truck. It's a Pilot with the roofline chopped off. It doesn't have a fully boxed ladder frame, a body on frame design, locking differentials, a real 2 speed transfer case. The stupid part is it doesn't really save much gas vs a real truck (newer trucks are getting much better with fuel saving tricks). It has a high revving DOHC V6 where all the power is up high, not really good for towing. The only thing going for the Ridgeline is, it is more comfortable than a traditional truck because it's a unibody.

This is also what angers me about the new Ranger. Ford is trying to go all premium with their cars and it fails.

4. H.A.L. 9000

Reputations:
    Well, I meant in looks, but true. The Ridgeline is just a Pilot with a bed and it's not even like the new Pilot is any good either. It's kind of sad from a truck perspective.

All you have now, for true offroad performance of any kind, is the Land Rover, Sequoia, Range Rover, and maybe the Armada. Asking any of the Germans to do offroad is a loss. Hell, my R50 Pathfinder has more capability than anything new in it's segment.

It just pisses me off that Ford is ruining an icon. The Ranger is an American classic as a small, economical, solid little work truck.

5. Tsunade_Hime

Reputations:
    Ah, I wanted to get an R51 Pathfinder, the cracking radiator causing early transmission failures is kinda scary though. Though maybe I could pick up an R51 with a bad trans, swap in the 6 speed manual from a D40 Frontier/Xterra.

I mean Chevy also kinda did that with the S10...the Colorado was bigger in every dimension, and only partially improved the plasticky interior (1st gen). The newer one is a bit nicer but definitely not cheaper. I think Toyota, Nissan, Ford, RAM, Chevrolet have seen that now pickup trucks are now the semi "luxury" car to alot of families are now offer super crazy high end versions of trucks (High Country, Platinum/King Ranch, Laramie/Limited, Platinum Titan).

I just can't wrap my head around people wanted petrol trucks when their fuel economy is so abysmal. Even 4 cylinder manual transmission trucks get like high teen's combined. Maybe if you drive it really lightly you can get 20 mpg.

hmscott likes this.
  6. Mitlov

Mitlov Shiny

Reputations:
    The Ridgeline offers the cab space of a Titan or Tundra, with the price and fuel economy of a Frontier or Tacoma. Sure it isn't any good for towing a boat, but for transporting families on weekdays whole carrying home improvement supplies or dirtbikes on weekends, it has its place.

Ugliest truck on sale, sadly, for two generations running.

7. Tsunade_Hime

Reputations:
    It doesn't matter if the Ridgeline actually measures up other mainstream trucks in qualitative measures, people don't buy the Ridgeline because it isn't a "real" truck.

http://carsalesbase.com/us-car-sales-data/honda/honda-ridgeline/

Sales figures don't lie. Ridgeline is the only FWD/AWD unibody "truck" ever made. The Ridgeline at best sells like 1/3 of the competition, at worst, like 1/10th of the competition.

http://carsalesbase.com/us-car-sales-data/chevrolet/chevrolet-colorado/
    http://carsalesbase.com/us-car-sales-data/toyota/toyota-tacoma/
    http://carsalesbase.com/us-car-sales-data/nissan/nissan-frontier/

Am I saying it is wrong to not buy the Ridgeline just because it's not a "real" truck? By all means no. But it's like the minivan stigma, people don't want to be caught dead driving one. Personally I'd either get a last generation Toyota Tacoma with the 1GR-FE (4.0L V6) or a Nissan Frontier with the 6MT. The Ridgeline looks fake to me, takes actual hardware to play with the big boys, and the Ridgeline ain't got nothing on a real old school truck. Sure it rides better, but it's fuel economy isn't that much better, it's not really that good looking, and a big one is price, it isn't that cheap.

hmscott likes this.
  8. Mitlov

Mitlov Shiny

Reputations:
    They don't "lie" but they also don't prove what is better for any one particular purchaser. Otherwise, McDonalds would be the best restaurant ever, and a Camry would be like ten times better than a Mazda6. But that's not how it works.

As for minivans, we own a Mazda5 and it's fantastic. A manual-transmission model too--extremely low sales numbers. But I don't care that the CRV and RAV4 outsell it a hundred times to one. It's a better vehicle than they are for what we want to do with it.

9. H.A.L. 9000

Reputations:
    That's why I like the R50. Aside from the rear trailing arms taking a dump pretty often, the thing is bulletproof... transmission and all. The VG33 is AMAZINGLY reliable. Gas mileage is also not terrible. I get like 14MPG

There you have the Ridgeline in a nutshell. Dear GOD it's UGLY. I think the first gen was actually a better looking, if even more impractical, look. At least the first gen had character.

Personally I think the 4-Runner is a better choice all around, and with the back window that rolls down and seats that fold flat... it has more hauling space to boot. Plus the 4-Runner is actually a practical off-roader in most respects.

10. Mitlov

Mitlov Shiny

Reputations:
    I actually liked the looks of the first Ridgeline. It was ugly but in a unique and distinctive way. This one is just bland and soft and just TERRIBLE looking. Pity, because functionally I really like it compared to the Ranger. The cab space is great when you have tall kids, interior materials are fantastic, and the in-bed trunk is innovative and makes it very versatile.