The Random Video Thread

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Kyle, Jul 30, 2014.

1. killkenny1

killkenny1 Too weird to live, too rare to die.

Reputations:

This is soooooooooo freaking relatable...
    Production manager from the skit is basically every sales manager I worked with...

Kyle, Fishon and hmscott like this.
  2. Fishon

Fishon I Will Close You

Reputations:
    Just mix magenta and yellow and you get red. This is relatable. Every employee saying how it can't be done. :D

[​IMG]

My favorite was another employee complaining he couldn't get any leads off a lead sheet he just called. I took that same lead sheet and called the same people, and I was able to some leads off of it. There's always two side to this equation and too often employees are just naysayers. ;)

3. killkenny1

Reputations:
    *facepalm*
    This, this is what I'm talking about...

hmscott likes this.
  4. Fishon

Fishon I Will Close You

Reputations:
    "It's better to be the beak of a chicken the tail of an ox."

5. killkenny1

Reputations:
    Comparing apples to oranges my friend ;)

6. Fishon

Fishon I Will Close You

Reputations:
    My point being if you're not the one in charge or have ownership, you're going to be exposed to these sorts of ridiculous things from time to time. And my second point is at times the weak and jaded employee will automatically assume something is ridiculous and cannot be achieved, because they lack the motivation, creativity, smarts, or whatever. I've seen it from both sides.

7. killkenny1

Reputations:
    And my point was when I said you are comparing apples to oranges was, no offense, but you are comparing selling insurance to... well a type of work if done very poorly can become a punishable offense by law. There are specific ways of how you do stuff in my field.

Now I'm a simple engineer without any power of the upper management. I do try my best to make the workplace a better place, I do express my concerns, a very well known concerns. They get acknowledges, "yes, yes, very good points", but in the end get forgotten. And I'm not alone here. Even our lead engineer gets often ignored, and his opinions are considered to be taken seriously in the department.

I know that I rant a lot about sales persons, and you being one of their representatives take it to the heart, but a lot of the times they are indeed the real trouble. A lot of them either don't have enough knowledge of what their are selling, or have enough just to sell, but without knowledge of the finer details and don't care to learn about it.
    So very often they think they sold one thing, clients think the are getting another thing, and in reality you have to do a third thing.
    They don't seem to go the the whole sale process with enough respect and details. There's no proper sales culture, if you can call it that.
    It seems like all they care is short term profit, chasing the client and closing the deal. That's it. And then you read the sales contract, the thing was just copy pasted with all typos and mistakes from the previous 5 or so sale contracts... They don't think long term. They either don't think or care how it is to do such work from our side, the entire process can be quite long, hard and intricate. And this is not a type of field where you should use
    because if you need to use this, well you better not do the work altogether, as this is what can bring you to the punishable offense part I mentioned earlier.

Obviously, there can be a legal workaround, but this can take long time. A simple project with estimated work time of one month can stretch to months and months or hard work and headache. And when you consider a fact that for like 5 engineers there are 40 projects of various lengths, that can add up to a lot of man hours, stress, unhappy workers, tension, and other negative things. And jokes about suicide :D But maybe it's a good thing, they seem to light up the mood very nicely.

So this is why very often you can from the negative side from the get-go. To try to protect yourself from unnecessary headache (and company finances) as you already have other 5 crappy projects going on. Typical conversation can go like this (I think you will understand who is who here):

- So I'm chasing a client with this request, can you check if this be done? *points at monitor
    - Well I'm not sure, I need to see some documentation...
    - No, no, I need to know this now. They told the work scope, they just need this and that.
    - Well without documentation I can't say anything for sure. Just request it, they would need to provide it anyway in the future.
    - No, no, if I ask them to provide documentation now we might spook them and they might run to competitors, and I've been chasing them for a while, it's a good deal.
    - Well if you think that by requesting official documentation it will spook them, maybe we should stay away from such clients. We already have enough bad experience from such type of deals...
    - No, no, this time it's different. Look we already did some similar projects, this should be similar and not too hard. Just a bit of copy and paste and creativity.
    - This is a completely different type of work. They might look similar, but they are indeed different.
    - Okay, fine, I'll call the lead engineer.

Week later you come to work and see it was sold and you have been assigned to the project. Sales guy walks happy as he thinks it's a great deal and was sold for a good amount of money and thinks it's easy, so basically easy money...
    Fast forward i.e. four months later you are sick and tired of the said project, but the end looks like it's near. Lead engineer now smokes a pack of cigarettes per eight hours of work. Client is unhappy because of the delays and project now generates loss. Sales guys continues to sell mostly crap without any of our considerations.

So yeah, this is my rant.

On a side note, we had that yearly company feedback poll thingy, and our department scored so low, that a person from HR came to talk to each of us individually.
    To my surprise, she is actually well aware of our problems. To my non surprise, she basically said that she knows how it's tough and feels for us, but we must power through and better times will come, or similar BS. She then made a cute smile. My thoughts - "That cute smile sure would look good on... Oh wait, did I send my CV to that company I was eyeballing yesterday?"

Kyle and Fishon like this.
  8. Fishon

Fishon I Will Close You

Reputations:
    Wow. I'm trying to find some humorous angle which to reply with but that is pretty depressing. If, as you say, they're actually losing or making very little on a project because of how badly they over promise by having a general lack of understanding- which can even lead to a violation of law (assuming that means someone could get injured etc.), that's beyond sad. And that's management's and ownership's fault to allow those sales guys to make such a mess of things. No wonder you hate 'us'. :bigwink: As you say, it seems like all they care is short term profit, chasing the client and closing the deal. We'll that's what good salesman do, but they need to be reigned in property and told/mandated on what a solid sale is or is not. It's all about a proper office environment and we've let go of some large producers who were wild cards. Gotta do it. If management doesn't care, they certainly won't, and they could care less about the company's reputation, customer satisfaction, or their fellow employees. They'll just churn and burn, then move on to another opportunity.

Kyle likes this.
  9. Ifrin

Ifrin Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
  10. Tinderbox (UK)

Tinderbox (UK) BAKED BEAN KING

Reputations:
    When The Hoomans Take It To Far

[​IMG]

Kyle, hmscott and killkenny1 like this.