The Random Video Thread

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Kyle, Jul 30, 2014.

1. Fishon

Fishon I Will Close You

Reputations:
    Not at all pointing at you. I've just trained my mind pretty well to notice these things and made the comment. And what's also interesting is to see where, as here, a sexual assault has been alleged against an individual nominated for a lifetime appointment in a position of public trust. A partisan hearing alone cannot be the forum to determine the truth of the matter. Allegations of sexual assault require a neutral factfinder and an investigation that can ascertain facts fairly. Let's see how Dr. Ford is going to be treated. :nah:

2. Gabrielgvs

Gabrielgvs Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Not all accusations are created equally. Precisely because it is a Congressional proceeding, random person doesn't just get to levy said accusation and demand that the FBI open an investigation. That's not how it works, and that's not what the FBI does. The whole thing smells bad -very bad.

3. Fishon

Fishon I Will Close You

Reputations:
    She's not anonymous now. I'm not sure what to make of it though.

4. Gabrielgvs

Gabrielgvs Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Me neither. On the one hand, I think it's important to explore the character of someone up for such a position. On the other, the details and credibility here are very sketchy. If I understand correctly, this was supposedly at a high school party around 35 years ago, the details of which the accuser can't remember, with the accused denying ever being there? Then, if we were to accept that they were both there and they did have some sort of encounter, to what extent does that inform the man's character. Evidently, the accusation doesn't include rape. So what picture are we left with if they were even there together? A high school boy without a clue busting a move on a girl and getting shut down? Seems most likely, but who knows for sure. There's no criminal activity here, and it's questionable how whatever happened at that time in the man's life would inform his character as an adult. I think the only reason Congress is even giving any time to this whatsoever is to eliminate any blow-bach in November. Otherwise, I cannot even see where they'd entertain a Congressional hearing much less any sort of formal investigation.

Dragnoak and Fishon like this.
  5. Dragnoak

Dragnoak Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I'm sure glad that I didn't run for any political office in my life. Hell, I can't even remember all the stupid things I did in the 60's, much less all the parties I attended, where some other dudes trashed the party house, and the cops were called. At least I never got arrested, and by the time I was 18, I was issued a Top Secret Cryptologic (with access to special intelligence) Security Clearance by the ASA. Still, I'm sure that some person could bring up something in my past, when I was way over my limit, and don't remember anything I may have participated in that in the present mindset, would be considered a big no-no.

I just have a hard time believing in the veracity of any person who comes out at this late date, making these type of accusations, unless it's totally politically motivated. Why didn't she squawk before? I call all of this BS, and it won't stop the inevitable nomination of Kavanaugh.

On another note, here is one attack ad by a republican super PAC aligned with House Speaker Paul Ryan, regarding the Democrat candidate hoping to replace Ryan:

Then Randy's brother was paid to dis him:

Even Randy's mother has gotten into the fray:

https://www.newsweek.com/mom-wants-...s-voting-brothers-opponent-taken-down-1128617

I can't believe that this is the same state that gave us the "Fighting Robert M. La Follette" and he was a Republican. Oh well, we also gave you Tail Gunner Joe "Joseph McCarthy" :shocked:

This post will probably get censored, but I don't care. I only wanted you to see how low the race has turned in in Wisconsin :tears:

Gabrielgvs likes this.
  6. Fishon

Fishon I Will Close You

Reputations:
    As previously stated, I'm not sure on this one and at first had a stronger feeling aligned with what you say. However, the more I think about it and see this progress, the more I feel there is something to this. Anonymous and unwilling to testify, then sure. But those two issues are now gone. Apparently, she did talk about this in therapy long ago- but assuming she didn't name him. Plenty of women do not come forward on matters such as this, and do come out later. And statistically when they do, few lie (it's in the low single digits). I'm able see a scenario where she kept it quite, but upon seeing this guy ready to make it to the highest court of the land, now felt compelled to say something- that she just couldn't keep silent. Is this extremely successful woman willing to turn her life upside down, go through all of this, and open it up to full scrutiny for politics? Doubtful in my mind.

7. hmscott

hmscott Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    NET (National Educational Televison) was the predecessor of PBS (Public Broadcasting Service), and in 1962 IBM funded:

The Computer and the Mind of Man: Logic by Machine 1962 NET-IBM
    Jeff Quitney
    Published on Aug 11, 2018
    Computer Classic Films playlist: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list...
    Lots of historical background references found in the Details section of the video...

8. Fishon

Fishon I Will Close You

Reputations:
    The background sounds for the first few minutes is like a bad acid trip. :bigrolleyes:

hmscott likes this.
  9. Tinderbox (UK)

Tinderbox (UK) Sir Pumpkin Longshanks

Reputations:
    killkenny1 and hmscott like this.
  10. Fishon

Fishon I Will Close You

Reputations:

hmscott likes this.