The Random Thread - Brunch Edition

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Metamorphical, Aug 7, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Phistachio

Phistachio A. Scriabin

Reputations:
    gorning, mood sage.

2. Johnny T

Johnny T Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    Oh man I remember you mentioning all the issues you had with that a while ago. Glad it's all good now! :D

3. process

process \( ಠ_ಠ)/

Reputations:
    I've been one upped!!! FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU!

4. Phistachio

Phistachio A. Scriabin

Reputations:
    I win... As always :cool:

5. Cin'

Cin' Anathema

Reputations:
    Hi Greg! WB :D Glad you getting a sewer line!
    Is your weather extremely hot today?

6. Teraforce

Teraforce Flying through life

Reputations:
    Agreed 100%. CUDA is mainly designed for parallel applications (ditto with the nVidia Tesla GPUs)

Really? The drivers for my ATi FireGL V5200 are a JOKE with newer OSes. Switching to any resolution other than the native 1920x1200 in Windows 7 causes the screen to be displayed in a window (it doesn't scale to fill the screen), and I know one person with Windows 7 whose graphics drivers constantly crash and reboot themselves. And don't even get me STARTED with Linux. There is ZERO support for Ubuntu 9.04 and later, so you're forced to use the open-source drivers, which don't support shaders!

Now you may be thinking, "Well, that's an old obsolete card". Well, yes it is, except ATi completely dropped support for it just one year after it came out! (Well, it was technically moved to the "Legacy Support Cycle", which is just a fancy way of saying that the card is so old and obsolete that ATi won't bother supporting it anymore). This meant that just 1 year after I got my laptop, I would have crappy driver support for newer OSes such as Windows Vista/7 and newer distros of Linux. Heck, it took HP over a year to fix the monitor rotation bug introduced in XP SP3 (I couldn't rotate my desktop), and when they did, some workstation features were disabled! (Thank goodness I don't use those workstation features!)

I'm sorry, but if ATi is going to completely drop support for a GPU one year after it first comes out, then I'm not going to buy an ATi card or PC with an ATi card in it ever again.

7. Phistachio

Phistachio A. Scriabin

Reputations:
    I must second Star Forge's statement about AMD drivers. They made a difference as big as land and clouds ( c wut i did dar ). They are amazing.

8. Johnny T

Johnny T Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    Lets take the GPU talk else here. There is a whole forum for that thank you.

9. Teraforce

Teraforce Flying through life

Reputations:
    I forgot, sorry :eek:

10. PatchySan

PatchySan Om Noms Kit Kat

Reputations:
    Let's not beat down poor Amnesiac here, we all know the most superior graphics come from the 16 bit era.

Anyways this is adorably evil...

<param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/viPZZYYTSIY?fs=1&amp;hl=en_GB"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/viPZZYYTSIY?fs=1&amp;hl=en_GB" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width='425' height="349" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

Last edited by a moderator: May 6, 2015
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.