The random picture thread

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Kyle, Dec 2, 2012.

1. hmscott

hmscott Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    Although claims that the virus dies on surfaces after a period of time have been made, IDK that they know enough about the new virus to make that claim.

In fact recently the CCP has been enacting region wide disinfecting on a multiple times per day daily basis, and treating people incoming and outgoing buildings with disinfectant. They have also enacted disinfecting the outside of cars, planes.

So why do all of that disinfecting if the virus is dead in minutes or hours?

I've got a pending incoming China direct shipment - delayed by work shutdown:
    "We will ship this order around next week ( Feb, 18th - 22th) because xxxx are scheduled to be back then."

I am going to ask them if they plan on disinfecting the product before shipping, and I plan to do the same when I receive it.

"Is it safe to receive a letter or a package from China?
    Yes, it is safe. People receiving packages from China are not at risk of contracting the new coronavirus. From previous analysis, we know coronaviruses do not survive long on objects, such as letters or packages.
    13.png

"Can spraying alcohol or chlorine all over your body kill the new coronavirus?
    No. Spraying alcohol or chlorine all over your body will not kill viruses that have already entered your body. Spraying such substances can be harmful to clothes or mucous membranes (i.e. eyes, mouth). Be aware that both alcohol and chlorine can be useful to disinfect surfaces, but they need to be used under appropriate recommendations."
    mythbusters-33.png
    https://www.who.int/emergencies/diseases/novel-coronavirus-2019/advice-for-public/myth-busters
    https://www.who.int/emergencies/diseases/novel-coronavirus-2019/advice-for-public

The Chinese are fighting to survive, and are willing to do whatever it takes. This isn't the first time they have survived an outbreak. Let's watch how they survive so we know what to do if the same outbreak happens here.

Coronavirus Live Updates: Beijing Sets Stringent New Quarantine Rules
    https://www.nytimes.com/2020/02/14/world/asia/china-coronavirus.html

Last edited: Feb 14, 2020
    Kyle likes this.
  2. Fishon

Fishon I Will Close You

Reputations:
    You do you but you're aware the chances of getting the virus this way is somewhere between slim and none. I find it interesting when people have a lost sense of relative risk.

This video should put your mind at ease. ;)

We'll be going to China Town in LA over the weekend. :vbthumbsup:

hmscott likes this.
  3. hmscott

Reputations:
    Can You Get Coronavirus From a Package Shipped From China?
    Many PC components and electronics are shipped directly from China.
    By Scharon Harding 3 hours ago
    https://www.tomshardware.com/news/can-you-catch-coronavirus-packages-china

"Keep in mind that there is more than one type of coronavirus. SARS, MERS and HCoV, for example, have been shown to live on “inanimate surfaces, including metal, glass and plastic, for as many as nine days, but can be disinfected within one minute,” as recently detailed in The Journal of Hospital Infection and reported on by Forbes.

Although we can suspect that 2019-nCoV could survive in similar conditions, there is no hard evidence currently, and these conditions aren’t the same as those an air-shipped package would endure.

Additionally, disinfecting these inanimate surfaces seems simple. The report cites The WHO, which says disinfection is as easy as “thoroughly cleaning environmental surfaces with water and detergent and applying commonly used hospital-level disinfectants (such as sodium hypochlorite).” And, again, that process can take just 60 seconds. The researchers added that they “expect a similar effect against the 2019-nCoV.” "

Persistence of coronaviruses on inanimate surfaces and its inactivation with biocidal agents
    https://www.journalofhospitalinfection.com/article/S0195-6701(20)30046-3/fulltext

"The analysis of 22 studies reveals that human coronaviruses such as Severe Acute Respiratory Syndrome (SARS) coronavirus, Middle East Respiratory Syndrome (MERS) coronavirus or endemic human coronaviruses (HCoV) can persist on inanimate surfaces like metal, glass or plastic for up to 9 days, but can be efficiently inactivated by surface disinfection procedures with 62-71% ethanol, 0.5% hydrogen peroxide or 0.1% sodium hypochlorite within 1 minute. Other biocidal agents such as 0.05-0.2% benzalkonium chloride or 0.02% chlorhexidine digluconate are less effective. As no specific therapies are available for 2019-nCoV, early containment and prevention of further spread will be crucial to stop the ongoing outbreak and to control this novel infectious thread.

Table - Persistence of coronaviruses on different types of inanimate surfaces."

Scientists Predict Coronavirus May Live For Up To Nine Days On Surfaces
    Feb 9, 2020, 01:43pm
    https://www.forbes.com/sites/victor...irus-may-live-for-up-to-nine-days-on-surfaces

"In summary, the chances of coronavirus being in any packages is quite small and even then, the chance of a large amount of virus would need to be sent to be a danger to the recipient, which seems very unlikely. Despite this, is there anything people can do to minimize their risk if they receive packages from China and are concerned?

“If you are worried about this, you should leave the letter or package for 5 days beginning on the date of sending, the theoretical risk should have passed at that time,” said Kampf."

How about 10 days? - a day past the results of tests done on previous coronavirus strains? To be on the safe side of this novel infectious thread.
    Such bravery in the face of mortal peril...

From that video OP:

"I'm getting really tired of the people underestimating this tragedy.

"Its just a flu bro" "only 1000 dead? Nothing is happening"

Hundreds of people have died and thousands are sick.

Hope to wake up some of you that will watch this video.

The music used is the one that the Chinese used in various propaganda videos to show that "everything is fine".
    Coronavirus medical staff dance with quarantined patients in Wuhan"

Her point is at odds with the misappropriation of her message...
    Such bravery in the face of mortal peril...

Don't forget to try the Bat Soup with BBQ Pangolin. ;)

Kyle likes this.
  4. Nick

Nick Mr.Mischief

Reputations:
    Does anyone else feel that the media is hyping coronavirus to sell clicks?

5. hmscott

Reputations:
    "If it bleeds, it leads" - Eric Pooley

If It Bleeds, It Leads: Understanding Fear-Based Media
    Managing depression requires you to mind your media intake.
    Posted Jun 07, 2011
    https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/...leeds-it-leads-understanding-fear-based-media

"In previous decades, the journalistic mission was to report the news as it actually happened, with fairness, balance, and integrity. However, capitalistic motives associated with journalism have forced much of today's television news to look to the spectacular, the stirring, and the controversial as news stories. It's no longer a race to break the story first or get the facts right. Instead, it's to acquire good ratings in order to get advertisers, so that profits soar."

Newspapers, Radio, Television, now the Internet - making money from distributing information by monetization through advertising.

Yet, we need to know, so where else to go...?

Coronavirus disease (COVID-19) outbreak
    https://www.who.int/emergencies/diseases/novel-coronavirus-2019

Coronavirus COVID-19 Global Cases by Johns Hopkins CSSE
    https://gisanddata.maps.arcgis.com/apps/opsdashboard/index.html
    https://systems.jhu.edu/research/public-health/ncov/

It's a matter of going to the source of the information.

"Consider having an electronic-free day, and let your senses take in the simpler things in life."

Last edited: Feb 15, 2020
    Kyle and Nick like this.
  6. Fishon

Fishon I Will Close You

Reputations:
    That's me all right. ;)

[​IMG]

7. Hirosake

Hirosake Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    @hmscott

"Keep in mind that there is more than one type of coronavirus. SARS, MERS and HCoV, for example, have been shown to live on “inanimate surfaces, including metal, glass and plastic, for as many as nine days, but can be disinfected within one minute,” as recently detailed in The Journal of Hospital Infection and reported on by Forbes."

oh...I never have anything from China in less than 2 weeks ;)

Kyle and hmscott like this.
  8. hmscott

Reputations:
    I wasn't in a rush so I didn't order expedited delivery. I ordered and won't cancel due to delay's. And, I will make another order next month. :)

Last edited: Feb 15, 2020
  9. Hirosake

Hirosake Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    So I was at a local hospital for family recently and had to take a picture...(true story)

I mean...I know Japan is advanced and stuff...but holy hell :eek:

JA.jpg

I think they might all be robots...cylons ;)

Nick, Fishon, CaerCadarn and 2 others like this.
  10. Tinderbox (UK)

Tinderbox (UK) BAKED BEAN KING

Reputations: