The random picture thread

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Kyle, Dec 2, 2012.

1. Fishon

Fishon I Will Close You

Reputations:
  2. hmscott

hmscott Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
  3. Mobius 1

Mobius 1 nͫiͤcͫeͤ

Reputations:
  4. Fishon

Fishon I Will Close You

Reputations:
  5. Tinderbox (UK)

Tinderbox (UK) Sir Pumpkin Longshanks

Reputations:
  6. hmscott

Reputations:
    Georgel, Tinderbox (UK) and Vasudev like this.
  7. katalin_2003

katalin_2003 NBR Spectre Super Moderator

Reputations:
  8. Fishon

Fishon I Will Close You

Reputations:
  9. killkenny1

killkenny1 Too weird to live, too rare to die.

Reputations:
  10. hmscott

Reputations:
    It's funny you should say that... :)

Minecraft in space: why Nasa is embracing Kerbal Space Program

A new generation of authentic simulations is inspiring a generation of interstellar explorers
    Sam White, Thu 22 May 2014 07.19 EDT
    https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2014/may/22/kerbal-space-program-why-nasa-minecraft
    [​IMG]
    Kerbal Space Program: in space, no one can hear you say, "Uh-oh, my misaligned thrusters are causing diverted torque application".

"...The success of the game hadn’t gone unnoticed. In March 2013, Squad received an intriguing tweet: “Interested in exploring an asteroid with us?” It was from Nasa, and after a year of cooperation, the Kerbal team was able to implement the real-life Asteroid Redirect Mission into its game. Players can now experiment with a genuine space programme, using Nasa rocket parts. “It’s been a truly amazing experience,” says Falanghe. “When we first started, we had very little help from experts, save what we could research on our own. For us, it was a great learning experience – none of us in the team have any formal background in aerospace or any related field.”

Public relations for space travel
    For Nasa, there was another motive. The public relations boom of the moon landings and the 1980s shuttle programme has long faded, and amid a biting recession, there is apathy and misunderstanding about the organisation. The American public doesn’t just lack understanding about what Nasa undertakes, it also grossly overestimates the budget it receives from the US government. As recently as 1997, the public estimated that up to 20% of government budget was allocated to Nasa – a $328bn injection that would almost certainly have meant a successful manned Mars mission by now. In truth, Nasa has requested a budget of $17.5bn for fiscal 2015. Of that, just $89m is allocated to educating the next generation of astronauts, scientists and engineers.

“I think it’s a shame,” says Falanghe, “not just for Nasa but for mankind in general, that there isn’t as much interest in space exploration these days as there should be. Reaching for the stars should be the next step for us as a species, especially as we’re so obviously exceeding the current resources the Earth has to offer.”"

Last edited: Apr 19, 2018