The Qualcomm Thread

Discussion in 'Hardware Components and Aftermarket Upgrades' started by Dr. AMK, Dec 12, 2017.

1. Dr. AMK

Dr. AMK Living with Hope

Reputations:
    What is the Qualcomm Snapdragon 8cx?

Vasudev and Starlight5 like this.
  2. Dr. AMK

Dr. AMK Living with Hope

Reputations:
    Qualcomm Snapdragon 8cx Laptop Demos From Snapdragon Summit!

Vasudev likes this.
  3. Dr. AMK

Dr. AMK Living with Hope

Reputations:
  4. Dr. AMK

Dr. AMK Living with Hope

Reputations:
    Top 5 Qualcomm Snapdragon 855 Features!

tilleroftheearth and Vasudev like this.
  5. tilleroftheearth

tilleroftheearth Wisdom listens quietly...

Reputations:
    Yawn! :D:D:D

Top 5 features I want mobile phone companies to focus on:
    1. Cost less. I paid $2K for a cell phone and enjoyed them back then (as a phone). Today's offerings are expensive without giving me much more than what a $65 tablet (Win10) with internet connectivity can...
    2. Much, much better battery life. A week's worth is ideal. Make it chunky, but make it last.
    3. An actual increase in productivity; opening programs, loading data, real (fast) multi-tasking, perfect 'touch precision', no lag!!! And for the O/S side; don't install garbage I don't need or want (I just need a mobile office in my pocket - offer the gaming kids other toys instead).
    4. More RAM (give me 32GB as a good starting point for an always-on device).
    5. More and faster storage! Yeah; I saw the eUFS 3.0 Samsung drive... now give me 2TB of that or more... today.

By default, the above is incrementally and constantly improving generation to generation. But if they actually focus on the above list, I wouldn't have to have a phone, a tablet, and a notebook or two with me every single day to do real work with. :eek::confused::cool:

Vasudev and Dr. AMK like this.
  6. BlameTheEx

BlameTheEx Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Dear god. No wonder the world is in such a mess. Lobbying, Litigation, Nationalism, Acquisition of rivals.

I would ask whatever happened to simply developing a better product and letting the market decide....but I fear there never was such a time.

No wait, that isn't even an option. Got this laptop here. 4k screen, 4 core i7. Should be a decent bit of kit. Catch is it won't reliably connect to the net cause the single channel modem is complete rubbish. I'm going to have to replace it with a decent Intel one that costs a whole £13. Three guesses who makes a modem so bad it can't stand up to £13 worth of quality?

And no. Not a case of comparing what's available now with then. Got an Intel equipped laptop from then and it connects great.... and Ebay are selling those, 2 generation back, dual channel + bluetooth modems for £7.

Last edited: Mar 17, 2019
    Starlight5 likes this.
  7. Dr. AMK

Dr. AMK Living with Hope

Reputations:
    Vasudev likes this.
  8. Vasudev

Vasudev Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    Dr. AMK likes this.
  9. Aivxtla

Aivxtla Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Apple got stuck between a rock and a hard place. One one hand Intel was behind on the 5G modem progress, and if completed on time it would be still be inferior to competing offerings from Samsung and Qualcomm and possibly others as they would have newer iterations by then. On the other hand if Intel completely failed to meet final targets they’d be screwed as Samsung was not in a place to fulfill all the needed orders for 2020 from what I’ve read and Huawei was not an option with the ongoing mess with that company.

Considering Intel entered the overall modem in general race so late it would take a long while to reach Qualcomm’s level in performance/power optimization .

Last edited: Apr 25, 2019
    Vasudev and Dr. AMK like this.
  10. Vasudev

Vasudev Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    Even Samsung Exynos is way behind Qualcomm modems. Especially in rural areas and weak dBm Qcomm reigns supreme. I can beat my dad's S7 on extinct Lumia by getting 20Mb down and 10-12Mb up on 3.5G. iPhone with Intel modem's down speed(30-55Mb & upload 1Mb) is good enough but newer Qcomm SD chips manages >50Mb and >10Mb upload.

Dr. AMK likes this.