The Pixel phone/Pixel XL thread

Discussion in 'Smartphones and Tablets' started by Mitlov, Oct 5, 2016.

1. Mitlov

Mitlov Shiny

Reputations:
    Yep, sorry, it's now been fixed.

ronaldheld likes this.
  2. H.A.L. 9000

H.A.L. 9000 Occam's Chainsaw

Reputations:
    Ah. Well, I did always enjoy a big bowl of bootloops.

Mitlov likes this.
  3. saturnotaku

saturnotaku Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    If the iPhone 8 doesn't meet my expectations, and the Pixel 2 XL improves to IP68 water resistance, I will very seriously consider making the switch back to Android.

Primes likes this.
  4. ronaldheld

ronaldheld Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    how long after the IPhone is available, will the XL 2 be released?

5. Convel

Convel Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Since the Pixels have their own launch event, instead of piggybacking on another venue, we can't know for sure exactly when it will launch. Google has committed to sticking to the industry's annual rhythm, making another October unveiling probable, and they could be aiming to make us accustomed to last year's October 4th date. However, the most oft-criticised aspect of the OG Pixels was availability. While the iPhone 7 Plus was pretty hard to come by in September and October, the Pixels still had little inventory in January and February, especially if you were after more than a meagre 32GB of storage. Even if the Pixels do end up with slightly faster Snapdragon 836s, similar to how the OG Pixels got Snapdragon 821s, that's dangerously close to MWC 2018. I'm sure Google is eager to do better this year and make sure their latest flagships are more readily available for the holiday season, but the new Pixels are not a simple refresh. Water-proofing and AMOLED displays from a manufacturer inexperienced with high-volume, phone-sized OLED production could delay plans... or letting LG make the XL 2 will help Google meet demand. Only time will tell.

tl;dr: The phones will be unveiled this year, and you can count on an availability gap of at least one month.

———————————————————————————————————————————————————————

In my eyes, the design of last year's Pixels were one of their biggest downfalls. Huge, rounded HTC bezels and an odd glass portion on the back. The second generation looks much sleeker, in a utilitarian fashion – more so with the dual front-firing speakers, that are hopefully amped properly.

Obligatory rant:
    Why, oh why, did the rumours of the XL 2 having a headphone jack have to turn out not to be true? Do phones that are thick enough to be grippey, house a sizeable battery, and offer a small or no camera bump really need to be one-port phones? It's not that I use the plug that often myself while on the go, but adapters are unattractive and I don't go around carrying them just in case. You're not always hooking your phone or laptop up to your own equipment, and an audio jack is ubiquitous. “3.5mm headphone jack satisfyingly not new”, you advertised – reminding every Android fan that cutting edge doesn't have to be impractical and locked down.

Primes likes this.
  6. H.A.L. 9000

H.A.L. 9000 Occam's Chainsaw

Reputations:
    Google better have a damn near bullet proof bluetooth stack on this new Pixel. If they're going to use a Broadcom WiFi chipset, get the drivers and Android BT stack sorted. Because I currently LOVE the design of the Pixel XL 2 and would be willing to give LG another chance, as this isn't a device where Google is skimping on components... so it shouldn't have the issues that plagued the 5/5X. Premium design, build, and components. I actually just got a USB-C JBL headset from HTC and it's pretty much amazing for the price.

Convel likes this.
  7. Ashtrix

Ashtrix ψυχή υπεροχή

Reputations:
    It's a shame that Google's new Pixels won't have the headphone jack, mimicking the crApple corp. And want to distinguish themselves from beasts like Samsung Galaxy S8+ and Note 8.

8. Vasudev

Vasudev Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Everybody will follow Apple's footsteps just to produce retarded phones w/o headphone jack.

Ashtrix likes this.
  9. Convel

Reputations:
    Not everyone's got AirPods and headphone licenses to sell, and some will demonstrate how they're different by preserving the jack. That said, the old analogue standard won't stick around for all eternity.

Vasudev likes this.
  10. Convel

Reputations:
    Primes and Vasudev like this.