The Pixel phone/Pixel XL thread

Discussion in 'Smartphones and Tablets' started by Mitlov, Oct 5, 2016.

1. Mitlov

Mitlov Shiny

Reputations:
    The S7 Edge actually has really good battery life in my experience, especially if you disable the always-on display (which adds drain of about 1% per hour in my experience and in TechRadar's experience). And in ArsTechnica's testing, the S7 Edge's battery life beat the Nexus 6P, LG G4, and iPhone 6S Plus.

I'm not going to debate anecdotes about washing machine reliability or TV quality or Korean friends, because your anecdotes don't match my anecdotes.

Anyway, back to the Pixel.

2. Krowe

Krowe Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Nothing to debate about, to each his own. I've had enough experiences with these things to know what I like and don't like, but I'll never give up a chance of poking at any brand that has products which fail spectacularly, or flops. But to do so for a product that hasn't even hit the shelves yet, that's a bit much...

Last edited: Oct 11, 2016
  3. Phoenix

Phoenix Super Tweaker

Reputations:
    @Mitlov @HTWingNut

The S7/S7 Edge camera and mic blows the Pixel XL's camera out of the water, look at the color saturation, resolution, and audio difference!!

HTWingNut likes this.
  4. Convel

Convel Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Blows it out of the water? Are we looking at the same video? :vbtongue:

The S7-family has a killer camera, no doubt. Video on the S7 is indeed better, with crisper, stereo sound coming from its mics, and a better dynamic range with more vivid colours. However, there's a lot more jitter, especially with 4K, and the greens seem a bit overblown. Low light is again a win to the S7, though its not too shabby on the Pixel either, so while Google isn't even close to Samsung here, I don't think they'd disappoint people coming from other phones. For still photography in decent lighting, I'd say the HDR+ of the Pixel is killer, as well as the front-facing camera. Look at the details of the reviewer's jacket and face, as well as the more natural looking and balanced colours. I take way more photos than video, so even though the S7's low-light shooting would have been nice, I'd pick the Pixel based on that review. Overall, I think the reviewer's stance of calling it a tie is accurate. I'm honestly a bit surprised by the results.

Phoenix likes this.
  5. Phoenix

Phoenix Super Tweaker

Reputations:
    my bad, I spoke too early not realizing that the first part was the video camera test. I agree, the Google Pixel in still shots has better dynamic range and detail and has a better front facing camera when not in low light. Good job Google I must say

Convel likes this.
  6. Mitlov

Mitlov Shiny

Reputations:
    I love SuperSaf video comparisons. Very fair and detailed. Liked his comparison of the S7 and iPhone 7 cameras as well.

The main thing is that the Pixel's camera is at the same tier as the S7 (and, due to the transitive property of equality, the iPhone 7). Google and HTC have had a pretty poor camera history, the Nexus 5X/6P being the one notable exception. Camera performance is VERY important for a phone at this price point, and so long as it's at a "personal preference dictates the winner" level with the S7 and iPhone 7, it's doing well.

Phoenix likes this.
  7. Convel

Reputations:
    Haha, that's what comments are for! With this kind of competition, it will be interesting to see what the S8 will be like. About time. :vbwink:

Phoenix likes this.
  8. Phoenix

Phoenix Super Tweaker

Reputations:
    I like how SuperSaf shows you the video/audio of both devices at the same time, very easy to tell which phone's camera is better

9. Convel

Reputations:
    Phoenix likes this.
  10. Mitlov

Mitlov Shiny

Reputations:
    Very attractive wallpapers.

I also have to give a shout out to the "Pixel IP" icon pack, which has faithfully recreated the Pixel's round icons for non-Pixel users. I find the uniformity in icon silhouettes a step up from what vanilla Android did previously. Obviously requires a launcher that supports icon packs, such as Nova.

Convel likes this.