The Pixel phone/Pixel XL thread

Discussion in 'Smartphones and Tablets' started by Mitlov, Oct 5, 2016.

1. Primes

Primes Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I'm not happy google is dimming down the display, but its great they will increase the color vibrancy. I went and looked at the XL in person, and now I'm considering getting either a Pixel2 or XL. the XL is a little bigger than I wanted, but I'm not sure I can live with the huge borders of the regular model. I'm also considering switching to Project Fi.

2. kojack

kojack Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    You don't notice the "borders" really. I am using an iPhone 6s atm and bezels don't bother me in the least. the pixel 2 is an awesome device and I would not hesitate to get it at all. The bezel police will hound you but at the end of the day, small bezels do NOTHING for the functionality of the phone imo.

Vasudev likes this.
  3. Lunatics

Lunatics Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Ever since I updated my Pixel XL 1 to 8.0 my proximity sensor has not been working during phone calls and I keep hitting buttons etc and I cannot find the option anywhere. Has anyone experienced this?

Vasudev likes this.
  4. Primes

Primes Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I totally agree with you, but this being a late 2017 phone, it's as if they didn't even try minimizing the bezels on the non-XL phone at a time when everyone is moving to no bezels.

Vasudev likes this.
  5. kojack

kojack Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Again, Not everyone is bezel Crazy. I enjoy the phone as is.

6. Mitlov

Mitlov Shiny

Reputations:
    Amateur hour continues.

https://www.engadget.com/2017/11/02...xl-phones-are-reportedly-shipping-without-an/

People always act like an OS creator like Google or Microsoft would inherently make better hardware for that OS than a third-party OEM like Samsung or Dell, but between the spate of QC issues that Surface products have had, and the totally botched launch of the Pixel 2 XL, I really wonder if there's any basis in that belief.

hmscott, Vasudev and Primes like this.
  7. kojack

kojack Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Everything has screw ups, Apple, Samsung, dell, ms, google....EVERYONE. Nothing new here.

hmscott and Vasudev like this.
  8. hmscott

hmscott Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    Google Pixel 2 XL vs Galaxy S8 Plus - Speed Test! (4K)

Pixel 2 XL looking good for speed against the S8+.

Google Pixel 2 Review: This Thing is Smart!

Vasudev likes this.
  9. Convel

Convel Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    With Google, it's definitely a case of making the OS better for the hardware than the other way around. The OG Pixels were halo products. Hardware wasn't, and still isn't, a major source of revenue to the company. Obviously, they're trying to change that, but the HTC deal is still fresh, and thus their new assets aren't being used to their full potential. Even very resourceful companies need time to nail the distribution side of a complex business.

Vasudev likes this.
  10. hmscott

hmscott Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    It's always about the software with Google, getting in on the instant updates as part of being close to the source generating new Android updates.

The Pixel 2 XL hardware is great, just not "the best", it's certainly far more than good enough to take advantage of the closeness to Google Android updates, and the screen looks very livable.

Google has a tough time with generating hardware that is great, but doesn't cast a shadow over their hardware partners.

It's fine line to put together a hardware platform Google can manufacture profitably enough to pay for the creation and support, while not taking away too much business from their hardware partners.

I think the Pixel 2 XL is the right fit, with the Pixel 2 as a great supporting phone with enough differences to make owners feel happy getting it and saving some $ over getting the XL.

David Lee had some good comments:

Pixel 2 XL - Does The Screen REALLY Suck?

Vasudev likes this.