The Ongoing Disasters of the EPIC Games Store

Discussion in 'Gaming (Software and Graphics Cards)' started by hmscott, Feb 3, 2019.

1. hmscott

hmscott Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    It's already been a year, and the Epic exclusives have started coming to Steam:

All 4 Seasons of Walking Dead (originals) is planning to return to Steam tomorrow...after a year exclusivity expires.
    satsujinki12 25 comments
    https://www.reddit.com/r/****epic/comments/es5lfb/all_4_seasons_of_walking_dead_originals_is/

Steam is also about to release new Walking Dead content on January 23rd, apparently not an Epic Game Store exclusive for this release:

The Walking Dead: Saints & Sinners
    https://store.steampowered.com/app/916840/The_Walking_Dead_Saints__Sinners/

And, the Telltales Walking Dead Series Episodes are also out today on the Nintendo Switch:
    https://www.nintendo.com/games/detail/the-walking-dead-the-complete-first-season-switch/

You can read up on what I think and what I have said about EGS over the last year there:

The Ongoing Disasters of the EPIC Games Store
    http://forum.notebookreview.com/threads/the-ongoing-disasters-of-the-epic-games-store.827320/

If you are interested in discussing EGS, you've kinda missed the boat, but read up on the last years worth of postings, and I'd be happy to answer your questions about EGS there.

My complaints with EGS have little or nothing to do with the state of EGS's launcher development.
    EGS Exclusives are very different than Stadia's stated Exclusives.

EGS stole game projects out from under the fans, investors, and owners expectations by buying off the weak willed IP managers tasked with doing what was best for the developers - pulling them from their expected release path and on to EGS as timed exclusives - and pissed off a lot of gamers, including me.

It was a criminally insane plan to steal games already promoted into a valuable position by Steam - where people had pre-purchased the game - or where "investors" had pre-purchase / funded the game through fund-me sites, and they all had their expectations and happiness crushed by EGS as part of their nefarious plans.

Here we all were happily waiting for our games to come out, and then EGS steps in and makes an offer some dumbo's IP managers couldn't refuse, and their weak-mindedness started this whole mess. Last years best games were stolen by EGS, and rudely interrupt many gamers fun.

So far I haven't seen Google state that they are stealing games from GOG, Steam, EGS, or anywhere else that originally expected the game to release and stealing them lock stock and barrel to release exclusively on Googles Stadia.

EGS are a buncha a-holes that disrupted the whole gaming world by their antics stealing not just games but mind share - crappy criminal posing mind-share - hate and animosity from those wronged by EGS, but all the same EGS crapped all over everybody and expected to win business from other digital stores, especially Steam.

Google is providing a new outlet for game developers to explore a whole new technology - as Google has created it through many years of hard work focused on delivering a valuable technology service, while making partnerships with AMD and making investment hardware in the form of servers and infrastructure to eventually serve millions of concurrent users gaming remotely, without the need for the user to purchase expensive PC or Gaming Console hardware.

EGS has taken a bunch of money from the Chinese and a bunch of school kids lunch money - and their parents money - and built a simple software client to start their game and the games they stole with piles of cash right out from under the expectations of millions of otherwise happy unsuspecting gamers.

Here we were going along and expecting some great games on Steam last year, I was waiting as I usually do until reviews come out - I hadn't pre-purchased games - so when EGS came and took everyone's joy away I was left without a bunch of the games I wanted to play, and many of us were so pissed off at EGS and their BS that we vowed to wait until the timed exclusives were over so we could play the games where we expected to in the first place.

See my last post here about timed exclusives ending and games coming back to Steam...

Now, you normally seem like a smart-guy, so either you really don't see the difference or you are just yanking my chain. I'm going with the later, but I felt it's a good time to do this comparison between Google exclusives and EGS exclusives so people don't get confused on what a normal game exclusive is - like on consoles when selling hardware - which is essentially what Google is doing, except with Google the Console is sitting in a data center miles away from where you the gamer are sitting, and happily gaming.

And, what EGS did is they have pissed off millions of people to the point those people didn't play their greatly anticipated games and felt strongly enough about EGS's behavior that they waited another year until they got a chance to play the highly anticipated new games they had been excited to get and play over a year before.

Google's exclusives are fine as far as I know. If Google starts stealing games from other funding sites, or from Steam, then there's gonna be a big problem, but right now I'm fine with what Stadia is doing.

This thread and many forums elsewhere are full of the reports of the rest of the crap EGS did, or hasn't done, and I will hope that some time soon we can report that EGS has finally run out of money to piss people off and we can all go back to having a nice time without EGS stinking up the place.

Thanks for asking. :)

Some real numbers coming out about how EGS has been doing, how their "grand plan" of disruption is working, not so good as it turns out. Gamers are waiting to buy games on Steam, forsaking EGS's shenanigans:

Red Dead Redemption 2 digital sales doubled after Steam release
    By:Adnan Kljajic - Nem
    Published: 08:54, 24 January 2020
    https://www.altchar.com/game-news/r...ales-doubled-after-steam-release-aPNzC7n43Jme

"Red Dead Redemption 2 digital sales more than doubled in December 2019 compared to the release month of November, evidently pointing out that the players waited for Steam release. Ironically, this paints a different picture from the survey made by the same analyst group.

Rockstar Games' Red Dead Redemption 2 came to PC on 5 November 2019 and managed to sell around 406,000 digital copies in the launch month. The game released on Steam on 5 December 2019 and sold one million copies over the course of one month, according to research from SuperData .

This undoubtedly showed that players are more than willing to wait out that one month of exclusivity in order to play games on Steam, even if they are highly anticipated titles like Red Dead Redemption 2.

Ironically enough, this research painted a completely different picture from the results of the same group's consumer study that dictated those who don't like Epic Games Store and its exclusivity practices are a vocal minority..."

Red Dead Redemption 2 sales DOUBLED once it was on Steam
    Steam helped double Red Dead Redemption 2's sales
    By: Anthony Garreffa from 4 hours, 10 mins ago
    https://www.tweaktown.com/news/70142/red-dead-redemption-2-sales-doubled-once-steam/index.html

"Red Dead Redemption 2 was one of the biggest releases of last year, and now we have some data that highlights its success on the PC -- and more so, its boosted success on Steam.

SuperData's latest report shows us that Red Dead Redemption 2's sales more than doubled once it reached Steam, with SuperData's report also shows that Rockstar Games' announcement that it was coming to Steam meant that people held off buying it on the Epic Games Store.

The report reads: "Digital unit sales more than doubled from 406K in November to 1.0M in December. The game became available on Steam on December 5, one month after releasing elsewhere including the Epic Games Store and Rockstar Games Launcher.

This brief exclusivity window was advertised in advance, so many players simply waited a short period to play the game on their preferred launcher. [Steam]"

It will be interesting to see how many sales come out of the Metro Exodus release on Steam on February 14, with over 264k followers on Steam it looks like there are more than a few still waiting and watching on Steam, or those are the guys that pre-ordered before EGS stole Metro from Steam...:
    264k Followers of Metro Exodus on Steam.PNG
    No mention on the Steam page for the release, or pre-order, yet:
    https://store.steampowered.com/app/412020/Metro_Exodus/

The links to the page show the February 14th 2019 release date:
    Still shows Feb 14 2019 as the released date.PNG
    And, the product page itself shows no purchase or pre-purchase options; with less than 30 days out from release:
    No mention of Feb 14 2020 release date on product page....PNG

You brought up EGS's Exclusives and are confused about exclusives in general - you think they are all the same, and you are wrong. This is the EGS thread to work it out in, that is if you think it's worth your time.

Reading through your responses there are just so many misconceptions and misunderstandings in your statements that I feel like I don't have the time right now to spend that it would take to help you straighten it all out.

It's like a big spun ball of fishing line on a reel, at some point it's just better to put it in a drawer and hope the reel figures it out... ;)

Good luck. Maybe come back again and ask when you've read and learned more about the subjects involved.

Besides, I've already answered you at length here:
    http://forum.notebookreview.com/thr...epic-games-store.827320/page-51#post-10985960

NuclearLizard and cucubits like this.
  2. killkenny1

killkenny1 Too weird to live, too rare to die.

Reputations:
    Ditto, buddy :)

hmscott and Prototime like this.
  3. hmscott

Reputations:
    Sad, but inevitable as many pointed out when this all started, EGS was going to push people into pirating games - if they couldn't get them where they wanted them - anywhere but EGS - they'd borrow them until the game released on another platform.

I really hope everyone that did that - whether you already finished the game, or liked the game, or not - buys it now at Steam or where ever else the game comes out that you prefer. Wait for a sale if you must, but please pay the developers for your use of their game.

The rest of us that waited will enjoy it for the first time, and I am used to buying games far after the release date, so I won't miss not getting there "first" ;)

"The great PC distribution platform wars of 2019 did not do consumer spending on PC content any favors btw. Priorities of enhancing consumer experience & choice and minimizing confusion were all deemphasized in 2019, contributing to lower overall consumer spend on PC content."
    — Mat Piscatella (@MatPiscatella) January 23, 2020

Richard Holmes @KalidusX Replying to @MatPiscatella
    "The Epic Store saved me so much money last year and I never used it once."

Mat Piscatella @MatPiscatella Replying to @KalidusX
    "What you did there, I see it."

There are those that say they will never contribute money to those developers that collaborated with the Epic Game Store and screwed over their patrons, investors, and fans, and I can understand that - but becoming a "criminal" - pirating intellectual property because of EGS's criminal behavior is really ironic - if you think about it. Epic "forced" you to become as bad as they are in essentially the same way, stealing what isn't their's. You may not like the developers, but you owe them if you "borrowed" their game, at least Epic compensated them while robbing them of their dignity.

Epic Games Store is contributing to PC digital sales decline across all platforms (including Steam), according to NPD Analyst Mat Piscatella.
    https://www.dualshockers.com/epic-games-store-pc-steam-sales-backlash/

"News comes from Mat Piscatella, a recurring industry analyst and the dedicated gaming expert within the NPD group. Quoting a report from both NPD and the Electronic Software Association (ESA), it was discovered that while software as a whole generated 2% more revenue in 2019, there were declines in spending for PC digital content sales when comparing year over year."

...Check out the article for more links and details...

Thanks to @thegreatsquare :
    http://forum.notebookreview.com/thr...nch-hurt-pc-spending-according-to-npd.831780/

Epic Games Store did not perform so well in 2019
    Jan 15, 2020
    mirta000
    Sales figures are hard to find, but the revenue alone is not that much. article: https://playtracker.net/insight/posts...

Here's how much the biggest Epic Store exclusives of 2019 sold
    Sales estimates for the top Epic Store games, using data from the XBOX API and figures disclosed by Epic and publishers
    BY LITTLEDINAMIT2020-01-14 19:29:31
    https://playtracker.net/insight/posts/top-sellers-epic-store-2019

Epic not only bribed IP managers and stole games from Steam and independent games from tiny little gamer investors, costing EGS untold millions - EGS also gave away 200+ Million Free Games, and that had to cost real money too - perhaps far more than the exclusives they hijack with large sacks of Cash.

IDK how much Epic pays either in direct cash or service discounts to those Free Game developers, but $200M wouldn't be unbelievable.

After EPIC's cash cow Fortnight dies a slow death, Epic's gonna dig a debt hole all the way through to China, and Tencent is gonna end up owning Epic , own EPIC's IP and all the user data, and then have access to all the users PC desktops that were silly enough to sign in to Epic, and no one will be able to do anything about it. Now where have I heard that before... Oh yeah, I said it several times early on!

Except delete their Epic account, uninstall the EGS software, then wipe their storage, buy all new hardware, and hope you didn't forget something that EPIC still has it's claws into. Why not get a jump on EGS and delete the account and software now?

We can only hope for the best ;)

Last edited: Jan 27, 2020
    NuclearLizard likes this.
  4. hmscott

Reputations:
    It's baaaack!! :)
    Metro Exodus Available Now on Steam.jpg
    Steam Metro Weekend Deal.JPG

Metro Exodus is on sale for 40% off, Metro Exodus Expansion Pass 25% off, The Two Colonels 40% off, and a new DLC Sam's Story that came out on Feb 11, at full price.

Metro Exodus [40% off]
    https://store.steampowered.com/app/412020/Metro_Exodus/

Metro Exodus - The Two Colonels - DLC [40% off]
    https://store.steampowered.com/app/889920/Metro_Exodus__The_Two_Colonels/

Metro Exodus - Sam's Story - DLC [Not Discounted]
    https://store.steampowered.com/app/889921/Metro_Exodus__Sams_Story/#app_reviews_hash

Metro Exodus Expansion Pass [25% off]
    https://store.steampowered.com/app/924220/Metro_Exodus_Expansion_Pass/

POSTED: FEBRUARY 11
    "Good DLC, a must buy if you really enjoyed the main Game. A must buy when the Game is back on STEAM too and everyone can play the Game!
    ............../´¯/)......................................(\¯`\
    ............/...//.........................................\\...\
    ........../....//............................................\\ ..\
    ...../´¯/..../´¯\........................................./¯`\....\¯`\
    .././.. /..../..../. |_...EPIC STORE....|..\....\....\...\.\
    (.(....(....(..../.) ..)...........................(...(.\....).....)...).)
    .\................\/.../..............................\...\/................./
    ..\.................../................................\..................../
    ...\.................(.................................)................../

F**k the Epic Store!!!"

Last edited: Feb 15, 2020
    cucubits likes this.
  5. hfm

hfm Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Don't forget to grab Kingdom Come: Deliverance and Aztec for free from the Epic store this week as well.

6. cucubits

cucubits Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Awesome! I hope you get to finally enjoy it. Let us know once you're through it how you liked it.

I'll probably wait for a bit or until some DLCs come out and I'll grab it for sure for another play through. I had way too much fun with it.

hmscott likes this.
  7. killkenny1

Reputations:
    I'll wait for GOG release :D.

hmscott likes this.
  8. hmscott

Reputations:
    There's a place on GOG to vote for it: GOG Community Wishlist - was @ 3919, now 3920 :cool:

Metro Exodus on GOG !
    Added by Alexytousignant
    Metro: Exodus, a return to its popular post-apocalyptic shooter series recently introduced during E3 2017 and going to be released in 2018.
    https://www.gog.com/wishlist/games/metro_exodus_on_gog

According to Deep Silver, it might be a long wait...:

Metro Exodus is not coming to GOG 'in the immediate future'
    The Steam release is just a week away, but GOG is being left out in the cold.
    By Andy Chalk 9 days ago
    https://www.pcgamer.com/metro-exodus-is-not-coming-to-gog-in-the-immediate-future/

"After a year as an Epic Games Store exclusive, Metro Exodus—my favorite post-apocalyptic shooter since the original Stalker—is headed to Steam next week. Unfortunately for those who prefer DRM-free games, it will not be coming to GOG anytime soon.

"We have no current plans to launch Metro Exodus on GOG in the immediate future.February 5, 2020"
    https://twitter.com/MetroVideoGame/status/1225044264062783488

That's not to say it will never happen: The Redux editions of Metro 2033 and Last Light are both available on GOG (and on sale for 75 percent off right now), and "in the immediate future" is doing some work there too. But if you were hoping that the move to Steam meant a move to everywhere, it might be a little disappointing.

Or maybe a lot disappointing, based on some of the responses on Twitter, including name-calling and threats of piracy, which strike me as kind of disproportionate to the offense. Ironically, the one that seems to be taking it best is GOG itself."

Metro Exodus might be on Linux before GOG?:

Metro Exodus is now live on Steam and Deep Silver say it's coming to Linux
    Posted by Liam Dawe, 15 February 2020
    https://www.gamingonlinux.com/artic...and-deep-silver-say-its-coming-to-linux.16001

"While Metro Exodus was exclusive to the Epic Games Store for a while, it later went live on Google Stadia (which is Debian Linux) and today it's finally available on Steam. It also appears to be coming to the Linux desktop with news on that due soon.

A post on the Metro Exodus Steam forum titled "Linux Version?" that's been open since 2018 got a reply today, from the publisher Deep Silver:
    [​IMG]"
    https://steamcommunity.com/app/412020/discussions/0/1732089092451965999/?ctp=6#c3563973555478315883

Death_Masta187 9 hours ago
    "I'd love a Linux version on gog :)"

Last edited: Feb 16, 2020
  9. killkenny1

Reputations:
    You can vote as much as you want, but it still won't come until DS removes Denuvo.