The Ongoing Disasters of the EPIC Games Store

Discussion in 'Gaming (Software and Graphics Cards)' started by hmscott, Feb 3, 2019.

1. Prototime

Prototime Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I appreciated that the final area was linear with traditional Metro gameplay, but I agree that the preceding forest area could have been better if it were a bit more open.

2. Flying Endeavor

Flying Endeavor Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Just finished my playthrough of the main story of Metro Exodus, and it is beautiful and sad at the same time. Thank goodness for my 1 month XBOX game pass. xD I would just wait for it to come out on Steam, so that I could also experience all of the DLCs.

hmscott likes this.
  3. cucubits

cucubits Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Beautiful and sad is a good description.

I'm a bit irked now because Metro sort of "ruined" other ongoing games I had before. This always happens when I get into a good game and I finish it... I guess I need to give it a little time. Still need to go back and finish FC New Dawn, Rage2 and The Sinking City.

Flying Endeavor likes this.
  4. hmscott

hmscott Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    I don't have time or inclination to get into it right now, but I've noticed others discussing the one year anniversary of the start of EGS on various forums. Perhaps after the first of the year we can review the Epic Failures so far.

Until then; I ran across this nice expose on Tencent, some poor guy setting out to figure out what's what with Tencent and discovering it's much worse than he realized, and now he wants to share that with other gamers.

The Title says China, but he quickly realizes it's mostly Tencent that owns or influences most everything in China - not just gaming - and in gaming world wide, it's Tencent as #1 revenuer.

Tencent may own almost 50% of EGS, but that's chicken feed compared to the total ownership Tencent wields. See what he discovered...

How China is Infiltrating [Has Infiltrated] the Gaming Industry
    Premiered Dec 24, 2019
    Glink
    China's growing presence on the international stage has trickled into the industries of gaming and media with massive companies like Tencent. Like it's US competitors, Tencent holds massive power in online communication and information. Blizzard's recent actions against Hearthstone player Blitzchung are only the tip of the iceberg when it comes to China's influence in western entertainment.

Still going strong, the various "Bird"Epic groups, still keeping it real into the new year, and 2nd year of EGS's BS:

Please replace the **** with the "Bird word":

r/****epic
    Welcome to r/****Epic. This is a subreddit where people can come to voice their personal opinions on what Epic Games is doing right and wrong with the Epic Games Store. All forms of discussion are encouraged, but please be mindful of the rules. ..., threats of violence, racism etc. will not be tolerated.
    https://www.reddit.com/r/****epic/

We have no need for Epic Games Store !
    NO MERCY FOR EPIC EXCLUSIVE MAFIA !
    https://steamcommunity.com/groups/NoExclusiveGames

No EPIC Games Curator
    https://store.steampowered.com/curator/34410309/

Epic Games Store

https://knowyourmeme.com/memes/sites/epic-games-store

Please Enjoy, and Happy New Year!! :)

Last edited: Dec 31, 2019
    cucubits and jc_denton like this.
  5. cucubits

Reputations:
    It's a sad start for this year. Just came back from a short vacation, got excited reading some random news that Detroit Becoming Human had been released on PC and then the kick in the gut that it's on epic...

I'm missing out more and more games I was looking fw to because of this epic mess. I still refuse to cave and give them my business.

hmscott and Flying Endeavor like this.
  6. hmscott

Reputations:
    Where did you hear that "Destroy All Humans" would be exclusive on EGS?
    Steam and all the news I can find says DAH is coming to Steam this year, 2020, and no EGS exclusive is advertised.
    https://store.steampowered.com/app/803330/Destroy_All_Humans/

The game is set to be released for Stadia, Microsoft Windows, PlayStation 4 and Xbox One in early 2020 - Wikipedia

It's on this New Year's greeting + list of upcoming non-exclusive titles (in URL replace **** with the "Bird" Word:

At this point Epic store is annoyance not an issue ... And actually it helped me grow.
    https://www.reddit.com/r/****epic/comments/ekkm2k/at_this_point_epic_store_is_annoyance_not_an/

"Now i see Epic as just something which is here, it is here, it does not affect me as much anymore.

Look, the most of the games Epic gave away are mediocre, most of the games they gave away for free i got from Humble choice. What is there left to do? Most of the great game which will come here:

Evil Genius 2 (Highly recommend to check this one)
    Dragon Ball Z:Kakaroto
    Cyberpunk 2077
    Halo:Masterchief Collection
    Death Stranding PC release
    Destroy All Humans
    State of Decay 2

Are the best games we get on Steam this year. And I doubt any of those games gets snatched. Some of them are already set in stone.
    Epic gets to getting their exclusivity kink of games nobody ever heard of because of poor marketing and thats it. Sure Epic has some gems like Hades but there is not much beyond few games which are actually considered good.

Also thanks to this, i learned to spend much less, be much more patient, and love the way of getting fully fleshed game.

And Steam with EA and Microsoft coming to help, Epic Store is basically a Fortnite launcher again at this point.

I just wish Epic would succeed as i agree Competition is something Steam desperately needs. What i got is a lot of frustration with tons of valuable lessons along the way.

Epic showed me patience, virtue and who my enemies are. As in for future? I see them closing down like Games for Windows live, focusing on their engine only, and people here flooding sub-reddit on r/****epic to complain how much they got screwed over games they legally bought, just like Games For Windows Live users did on Steam.

Also with all the respect **** all supporters of this greedy corporatism practices, **** devs who sold their soul to Epic without any good reasoning and **** the example of worst human garbage of our planet Earth Tim Swine ... He is disgrace for word Human.

Best of luck to all of you guys!

Update: Mistook "Detroit: Becoming Human" for Destroy All Humans, need to drink the coffee *first*. :)

Last edited: Jan 6, 2020
  7. cucubits

Reputations:
    I was thinking about Detroit Becoming Human. PS4 title from a while ago and just recently released on PC. Looks very cool but I don't have a PS4.

upload_2020-1-6_11-10-6.png

hmscott likes this.
  8. hmscott

Reputations:
    Sorry about that I really did just pass right over the words and saw Destroy all Humans :)

Detroit: Becoming Human does look cool, I'll probably pick it up on PS4 or Steam / GOG when it comes out.

Thanks for the heads up about it. :)
    -----------------
    Detroit: Becoming Human was an Epic exclusive announced back in March of 2019, kind of old news at this point, and there is no mention of a GOG or Steam future release, but GOG Twitch hosted a gamer session on the PS4 version a while ago.
    https://www.gog.com/forum/general/h..._for_sale_for_pc_through_the_epic_games_store

EGS exclusives that were indie's may not make it further than EGS, but at least this one is on PS4, no Xbox release that I can see...

Maybe start a campaign on Steam to get it release there? Not much interest on Steam that I can see...so far...

Detroit: Becoming Human does look interesting...

Detroit: Become Human - Opening
    May 24, 2018
    Shacknews
    Check out the full guide at Shacknews -
    https://www.shacknews.com/article/105093/opening---detroit-become-human

cucubits likes this.
  9. hmscott

Reputations:
    Rejoice, this could be the year EGS Exclusives decline with the declining income from Fortnight down to $1.8B in 2019 from $2.4B in 2018, $500M less cash for EGS to waste on exclusives as the decline in Fortnight Revenue continues:

Fortnite’s 25% Revenue Plunge Is a Terrible Omen for Epic Games
    Over the course of 2019, Fortnite only brought in $1.8 billion, a drop of 25%. Of course, $1.8 billion is still a lot of money, but the drop should be worrying Epic.
    https://www.ccn.com/fortnites-25-revenue-plunge-is-a-terrible-omen-for-epic-games/

cucubits and NuclearLizard like this.
  10. hmscott

Reputations:
    The Laymen's view of EGS's in 2020...

Epic Says Their Strategy Worked - Promises More Exclusives In 2020
    Jan 19, 2020
    Laymen Gaming
    Epic games declaring victory over exclusive strategy?