The Ongoing Disasters of the EPIC Games Store

Discussion in 'Gaming (Software and Graphics Cards)' started by hmscott, Feb 3, 2019.

1. hmscott

hmscott Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    Those companies are gonna be surprised when people pick "one" streaming service, maybe "two", and that's it.

Then they'll all need to congregate back on the "winners" so they can monitize their content without the expense of running their own service.

Most people get sick of paying multiple bills month after month - even worse is auto-pay if there's no cash in the account and they get dinged with an overdraft or money-transfer handling fee.

At some inflection point of annoyance some thought will go in to shaking out some of their bill's and stopping subscriptions.

Apple's not gonna be happy. :)

2. hmscott

hmscott Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    Maybe disabling the Steam in game features can bump up the performance? When I think of it I shut that off for games as I don't usually need it.

I am also done with spending money on visuals in games. I have plenty of things to buy in the real world that I like and can truly use and enjoy. Although I can and do appreciate the visuals with "fashion frame" I no longer have the urge to blow money on such things.

In reality I've wasted $ on elements in games and online worlds that no longer exist - my $ went "poof" at the flip of a server switch, so I no longer have the urge to do that again.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2019
  3. Mr. Fox

Mr. Fox BGA Filth-Hating Elitist

Reputations:
    They're already way too expensive. If they're too wreckless, everyone will take the Mr. Fox approach and wait until the game price drops to $20 before they are willing to buy it. I think I haven't paid more than $25 for two, maybe three, games in the past 10 years. I'm not one of the first to play it, but I don't care. There are hardly any games made that are compelling enough to make me want to dump much north of $20 on them.

Viares Strake, Arondel and hmscott like this.
  4. Prototime

Prototime Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Please stop telling me what to do. :) If you can't handle people posting opinions on the internet that you don't like, that's nobody's problem but your own ;)

Last edited: Sep 13, 2019
    saturnotaku likes this.
  5. Charles P. Jefferies

Charles P. Jefferies Lead Moderator Super Moderator

Reputations:
    Let's just ....continue here.

Charles

6. hfm

hfm Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    The benefit is probably that Digital Extremes makes more money if people buy things for it directly from them instead of through Steam.. 30% more..

Mr. Fox and hmscott like this.
  7. saturnotaku

saturnotaku Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    Refund surveys for Shenmue 3 finally came out, and in that announcement Ys Net/Deep Silver said that there's a possibility backers may never get a Steam key, even after the EGS exclusivity period ends. So I made my choice.

Capture.JPG

8. cucubits

cucubits Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    It is with great sadness that I have to say I finished Metro. It is an amazing game, albeit quite short. This also may be just in my head as I lost track of time while playing it. Don't know how many hours it took me.

If I could add one piece of criticism without spoiling anything, I wish they would have stuck to the open world approach like they did for the first two large areas, for the rest of the game too. I really really enjoyed those levels most.

9. Felix_Argyle

Felix_Argyle Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Yes, open areas are most visually impressive and it is nice to just explore in those areas instead of going in a straight path. Oh well, maybe next one will be more open and less linear. My personal criticism would be that the character animations weren't good, if they would spend more time on making them more realistic during conversations - the game would've been much more immersive. They're still better than anything garbage companies like Bethesda manage to put into their games, or the garbage like ME:A from Bioware ;-)

It was also nice to hear familiar (for me) songs played on radio, which added extra immersion, I like when games do that.

Last edited: Sep 25, 2019
  10. hfm

hfm Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    The game is fantastic, I agree. Everyone should play it whether that be MS Store, EGS or one of the consoles. Or I guess wait till Steam gets it next year, that works too.

hmscott likes this.