The Ongoing Disasters of the EPIC Games Store

Discussion in 'Gaming (Software and Graphics Cards)' started by hmscott, Feb 3, 2019.

1. Prototime

Prototime Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Probably the best way to do it would be to start small and phase it in. For instance, start raising AAA prices to $65. A $5 increase is something I suspect most gamers would reluctantly get over and not cause sales to appreciably drop. Then, 5-7 years later, to $70.

hmscott likes this.
  2. Felix_Argyle

Felix_Argyle Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Nah, it is a fair comparison. CDPR did it with Witcher 3 before getting any loans, they started development for Cyberpunk 2077 and expansion of their studio way before any government loans and they would still be doing same thing they are doing now even without loan. And they are not the only one. Guerilla Gaming, Atlus Games, PlatinumGames and many other developers of genuine AAA games - they are still actively working after selling their latest AAA games for $60. Nobody is getting fired (last time I checked), they are not merging with anyone.
    If you want to see a company with "financing multiple huge projects" as an example - SquareEnix, which owns various subsidiaries, they are also developing and being publisher of many AAA games, without trying to increase the $60 "ceiling" for retail games or raising traditional $15/month fee for their MMORPG game (a game with absolutely no p2w items, no lootboxes and only few cosmetics in in-game store) or the price of expansions for it, without reduction in workforce.

So yea, once again, it is way too premature to assume that it is "not enough to keep AAA in a healthy state because games these days take many more people much longer to make and have to be marketed much more extensively than in the past" (this is your own quote) because once again, I do not see examples of SUCCESSFUL companies failing due to game prices remaining as they were. The current $60 ceiling is still perfectly fine for now.

Besides, everyone can always buy extra copy of the game if they genuinely like the product by a developer - I did it with Witcher 3, Nier: Automata and few other games, and I know other people who did the same ;-)

I don't understand why you reply to my post - I wasn't even talking to you in it.

hmscott likes this.
  3. yrekabakery

yrekabakery Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Square Enix also botched great IPs like Sleeping Dogs, Thief, Deus Ex, and Kane & Lynch, almost botched the Hitman franchise, famously declared Hitman: Absolution, Sleeping Dogs, and Tomb Raider 2013 as commercial failures for not meeting unrealistically high sales targets, and laid off half of I/O Interactive after Absolution as well as cancelling Kane & Lynch 3.

4. Felix_Argyle

Felix_Argyle Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    That's true, no publisher or developer is perfect and SE had its own share of failures, including the most famous one - initial release of FFXIV. Still, those things did not happen because of the price of games, just bad decisions by whomever was responsible for directing those games. In case of FFXIV, they actually managed to make a historical re-launch which made the game successful and popular which it still remains even today, something that no other game developer has attempted ever since, especially EA.

5. hfm

hfm Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Devs could theoretically increase their profits by using Epic instead in which they get to keep 88% of their sale price vs 70% on Steam. In fact they would actually still make $2 extra per copy on Epic when even passing on $10 of that savings to the customer, which is in fact what happened in the case of Metro: Exodus (59.99 vs 49.99).

When everyone started going crazy cord cutting to try to get away from paying for cable and just paying internet and Netflix like 7 years ago I was always like JUST WAIT.. those content creators are going to get your money directly, you're going to end up paying 15 different subscription prices instead of paying the cable company. That's exactly what's happening. Same thing is going to happen to Steam, the "cable company" of digital game storefronts.

Last edited: Sep 12, 2019 at 8:10 PM
    Mr. Fox, Felix_Argyle and Prototime like this.
  6. Mr. Fox

Mr. Fox Undefiled BGA-Hating Elitist

Reputations:
    Well said. Agree 100%. A lot of whining about things and jumping to conclusions. People thrive on drama and controversy, and most of it is just stupid nonsense.

Indeed. Micro$lop's approach to gaming is something actually worth getting worked up about. Their dystopian vision for the future of gaming is a far greater threat to all of what sensible people hold dear than all of the silliness and displaced spastic psycho-babel about Epic. Keeping your enemies closer than your friends is smart. Trusting your enemies is not. Micro$lop is not our friend, and anyone that believes they are is living in a dream world.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2019 at 2:28 AM
    joluke, hfm, hmscott and 1 other person like this.
  7. Casowen

Casowen Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Time to hop over to Digital extremes warframe :)

hmscott likes this.
  8. hmscott

hmscott Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
  9. hmscott

hmscott Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    If the game is good and sells well, it's gonna make enough money at the current prices. If the game isn't so good or doesn't catch on a $5 price hike per copy isn't gonna help much.

Please stop encouraging developers to raise the cost of their games. :)

Arondel and Mr. Fox like this.
  10. Casowen

Casowen Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I want to say that the none steam version will run slightly faster, but you do not have access to steams in game Tennogen store for "fashion frame" which is the true end game for Warframe.

hmscott likes this.