The Ongoing Disasters of the EPIC Games Store

Discussion in 'Gaming (Software and Graphics Cards)' started by hmscott, Feb 3, 2019.

1. Prototime

Prototime Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I don't mean for this question to be snarky in any way, but out of genuine curiosity: if you are opposed to buying Metro Exodus from the Epic Games Store, why not buy it from the Microsoft Store? The game isn't really a timed "exclusive" title so much as it's a timed "unavailable on Steam" title. If you buy it from the Microsoft Store, you can enjoy the game right now and support the developers, but without in any way funding the Epic Games Store. Is there a reason not to do that?

Flying Endeavor and hmscott like this.
  2. yrekabakery

yrekabakery Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Idk if this has changed since, but when Metro Exodus released on the Windows Store, it was a technical mess.

Prototime likes this.
  3. saturnotaku

saturnotaku Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    I thought the only way to get Metro on the Microsoft store was to be an Xbox Game Pass subscriber.

NuclearLizard likes this.
  4. NuclearLizard

NuclearLizard Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I think thats it, I have it on game pass so I can't see the other options.

Sent from my LM-Q710.FGN using Tapatalk

5. Prototime

Prototime Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    NuclearLizard likes this.
  6. hmscott

hmscott Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    I don't use the Microsoft Store, on Windows 10 I erase all of the Store and Store apps, so for me it's not possible. Besides I prefer the Steam environment where most all of my other games reside, and I don't mind waiting a few more months - I have plenty of other things to do. :)

Prototime likes this.
  7. yrekabakery

yrekabakery Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Subbing to Xbox Game Pass is a much better deal than buying Metro outright. Tbh for singleplayer games it makes buying obsolete.

8. Felix_Argyle

Felix_Argyle Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Yes, absolutely. You pay what, $5 for a month of playing ALL available games? This is an awesome deal for people who just want to play some single-player game once and forget about it, without paying full retail price (something that greedy GabeN forces all Steam users to do unless the game publisher will agree to lower retail price). Ubisoft does the same with their subscription service, though it costs more, about $15 a month, but still a good deal for people who want to play single-player games. Hopefully Epic Store will do the same at some point.

Edit: it's actually $1 to sub for first month of Xbox Game Pass. $1! No rational person would decline such deal if a person is interested in actually playing the games ;)Best of all, developer and publisher will still get their money, Microsoft will pay them same amount regardless of how people will pay for these games.

hmscott likes this.
  9. Felix_Argyle

Felix_Argyle Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Make sure to set the voice language to Russian for best immersion ;-)

hmscott likes this.
  10. hmscott

hmscott Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    No rational company would set such a low price vs value unless they were desperate for customers.

When potential customers are staying away in droves - the MS Store has been an abject failure from it's inception - the only thing MS can do is give it away to hook people - but at $1/mo noone that will take them up on that offer will be able to afford much of a price hike as MS tries to pay the real costs of operation.

The same as Apple setting such a low price for their services, they are desperate to get into the market they should have been in 20 years ago, too little too late - $2B / year for Apple created content for that service is a joke, they need at least 2x that for years before they would have a compelling product.

And, of course once you are hooked on their system - invested yourself and your family and friends in a use cycle that is difficult to change, they will all start raising prices to profitability, going well beyond what any of us would have signed on for initially.

The low prices aren't useful if they don't last, either the prices or the service - or the company.

Prototime likes this.