The Ongoing Disasters of the EPIC Games Store

Discussion in 'Gaming (Software and Graphics Cards)' started by hmscott, Feb 3, 2019.

1. killkenny1

killkenny1 Too weird to live, too rare to die.

Reputations:
    At least this guy handled it better than the Ooblets (or whatever the game is called) devs.
    He calmly told it how it is from his point of view and that's it, instead of insulting the gamers.

hmscott, saturnotaku and Prototime like this.
  2. Felix_Argyle

Felix_Argyle Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Some developers can afford alienating a few narrow-minded and self-centered people. Especially if it can be compensated by both Epic and by people who value gameplay above all else (which is the majority of all gamers, especially judging by success of Fortnite which does require Epic Store installed on your PC unlike other "battle royale" games) and will either buy the game from Epic Store or do not mind waiting for exclusivity to end ;-)

For example, I personally do not like the current state of Epic Store. I do like Metro universe (I read the books in native language, including books not written by the original author) so I wanted to play Metro Exodus. I just waited for it to appear in Windows Store and got it there. Otherwise I would've waited for it to appear in other stores after Epic exclusivity would've expired and buy it there. Same would happen if CD Projekt Red would release Cyberpunk 2077 in same way with Epic exclusivity. I also know a lot of fans of Borderlands series who have already preordered Borderlands 3 despite its exclusivity or the Randy Pitchford's impulsive behavior ;-)

So please don't ever say things like "Internet never forgets". A few narrow-minded and self-centered people or some trolls might "never forget" but plenty of other people will continue buying the games in their favorite universe, same goes for people who generally do not care which launcher to use (you can see that there are plenty of them by the fact that Fortnite is still the most popular survival and BR game), regardless of your personal opinion.

hfm likes this.
  3. hfm

hfm Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    This is true. I really don't care which launcher I use. Steam is the only one I start with windows though, the others like Galaxy (I do like the new Galaxy 2.0 integrations but I just haven't toyed around much with it to figure out if I actually care. I connected all my stuff to it, the playtime metrics and stuff are very cool.), uPlay, Epic, Origin, Beamdog, and I guess having MS's stuff is just part of windows.. shrug. I just launch them when I play something then shut it down afterward. It's really not a big deal. Most of the time they just start up on their own when launching the game and I do that with hotkeys and typing the name of the game in search. So I just have to go into the system tray and click twice to close it afterward so it doesn't take up 500M of RAM and 1% cpu. :)

I have 16 well reviewed free games from Epic so far, their free game giveaway stuff is worth it alone, as I couldn't care less about Fortnite. I mainly just want to play the games and have them automatically patched. I really don't care much about the social aspect, trading cards, marketplace, etc.. If all of that went away and all I was left with was launching and patching games I'd be ok with that. I do realize I'm probably in the minority though. There was a time I cared about that ancillary stuff, but I don't have time for it. I just want to play the games. One thing I do use quite a bit is the Steam community forums for the games. Those are helpful. GOG has that feature in a just as good of state. If Epic had that it would be pretty much almost on par in MY OPINION.

I do agree Steam has the better storefront product than Epic, but I really don't care enough about it that if I wanted to play something and it was only on Epic that i'd go dying on some hill about it, I'd just buy it on Epic.

Felix_Argyle and Prototime like this.
  4. cucubits

cucubits Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Hard to take anything seriously from the developer of Super Meat Boy. I swear some of the harder levels were designed purposely to torture the players (I'm talking about those pixel perfect jumps required to pass) :p

hmscott likes this.
  5. krabman

krabman Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Personally I don't give a crap what store I buy from, I do hate people thinking I'm a thing to be manipulated and used rather than a customer though so I don't do exclusivity. Same as loot boxes, day one DLC, and all that fun stuff. Once it's all over and I can buy the full complete game without any of that I may pick up game X but at that point it will be a fraction of what I would have paid day one for a full complete game from someone who wasn't treating me like I'm stupid. Take 2077, I pre-ordered, got no gripe about the spend. I would have paid more. It isn't about money, it's about doing business with those who give me the simply respect of treating me like a potential customer rather than a piece of meat from which money can be squeezed. And yeah, I know they don't care. I care. If more people did none of these practices would exist.

hmscott likes this.
  6. Viares Strake

Viares Strake Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    So many launchers... Everywhere

hmscott, cucubits and killkenny1 like this.
  7. cucubits

Reputations:
    I'm so angry about Metro being caught up in all this epic non-sense.
    People shouldn't be put on the spot for this to make decisions to throw cash at epic or find other ways to play it. It's such an amazing experience.

I couldn't stop myself anymore and started playing it a few days ago. Just got to the 2nd area. I don't want to spoil anything for those who have better self control than I but it's worth it, it looks brilliant, it's diverse, it's satisfying... can you guys tell I like it? :)

*no, I did not give in to epic

hmscott likes this.
  8. hmscott

hmscott Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    I feel ya, it's human to want and need, I redirect the impulse to other things myself, but I have more years of experience so it's a bit easier than it used to be to "just say no". :)

Glad you are enjoying it, don't forget to say thanks to the developers by buying it once it's on another service, perhaps I should do that as well even though I'm am not playing it - their stupid greedy publisher / handler is mostly to blame.

I noticed Deep Silver lost the battle with the developers of another game recently that won't be out as an Epic Exclusive and is releasing on Steam... let me look it up...

Oh yeah, Iron Harvest is going non-exclusive and is releasing first on Steam (IDK, maybe other stores too?), but they are 1 year out for 1st release anywhere, September 1 2020, so it's a long wait anyway:
    https://store.steampowered.com/app/826630/Iron_Harvest/?snr=1_7_7_151_150_1

So at least all the user outrage has started to turn developers away from those Epic locked in exclusives, and hopefully will turn Epic as well and they will start accepting new games that aren't exclusives.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2019
    cucubits likes this.
  9. cucubits

Reputations:
    Yes, I'm sure it will end up in my steam library someway...

hmscott likes this.
  10. Viares Strake

Viares Strake Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Felt the same way about Origin and BF.