The Ongoing Disasters of the EPIC Games Store

Discussion in 'Gaming (Software and Graphics Cards)' started by hmscott, Feb 3, 2019.

1. NuclearLizard

NuclearLizard Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    To the first one, all the updates and DLC for metro Exodus has come in on time on steam.

To the second point, I'm not buying them on epic. I'm waiting for them to come out on other platforms and the like.

In the case of outer world's, it's coming to game pass, a service I have been trialing and enjoying fairly well.

In addition to consoles that I own. Lol

I'd sooner sit on a hot iron bare ass than buy from epic.

Sent from my LM-Q710.FGN using Tapatalk

hmscott likes this.
  2. hmscott

hmscott Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    How are you waiting for Metro on Steam? You bought it when it was for sale - before EPIC / DeepSilver pulled it from Steam. Those of us that missed the brief window of opportunity to purchase Metro Exodus on Steam are the ones waiting.

The Metro Exodus DLC on Steam is an odd exception as it was sold and supported on Steam at the same time as it was released on Epic. Any game DLC that comes out for an EPIC exclusive game during EPIC's year of exclusivity will also not be available until the main game releases on other services.

For those of us - that were waiting - for Metro on Steam we can't buy the DLC and use it now, we have to wait for 1 year for the DLC along with waiting for the game.

You are taking this personally, I wasn't talking about you and what you should or shouldn't do. Sorry if I wasn't clear on that in my original post. I'm happy you are happy. I'm not happy.

I'm merely trying to point out that if I simply wait a year for Metro Exodus that won't keep EPIC from pulling this 1 year exclusive again for the new Metro release / DLC and then I'll be waiting another year for that.

As I just realized this I wanted to say that I'm not interested in continuing on this EPIC inflicted disaster involved with each game they stole, repeating it every release moving forward. I'd rather find another fun game unencumbered with EPIC BS.

Now that I've realized this I'm not going to purchase the EPIC exclusive games even after they are off exclusive, as I'm not interested in getting invested in game IP that I will continually need to wait a year after release to play off EGS.

I'm tired of EPIC injecting their BS into my fun, it's not fun so I'm not going to do it.

Last edited: Aug 26, 2019
    Flying Endeavor likes this.
  3. Prototime

Prototime Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Who knows what will happen, but perhaps some of these game franchises that went exclusive to EGS this time around (like Metro) won't do it again. Obviously it's your decision to make, but I wouldn't skip out on Metro Exodus once it comes to Steam. It's a fantastic game, and if the eventual Steam sales of EGS exclusives are really good, it may encourage companies like Koch Media to avoid EGS exclusivity deals in the future so that they can rake in those Steam revenues sooner.

hmscott likes this.
  4. hmscott

hmscott Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    That's something I'll consider at / after the next release past the first exclusive for each EPIC hobbled game.

If each game does indeed open up their distribution onto other platforms, aren't EPIC exclusive for a 2nd time, then I'll reconsider.

If the game managers see poor sales on EPIC and poor sales on Steam totaling less than they originally estimated for Steam only, that should get them to drop EPIC.

EPIC has only been taking on games that would sign exclusively to them, if a developer asks to also distribute on other services EPIC isn't interested.

That same EPIC exclusivity will also be enforced for follow on versions of games the same as when those developers / publishers first signed on with EPIC. Those follow on new game releases won't be seen on other platforms for a year just like their first game release on EPIC. Why would EPIC release them from exclusivity? EPIC won't do it for any new games that want to distribute on EPIC - and get that pile of cash from .

As I see it given EPIC's "rules" the only way to pry those games out of the teeth of EPIC would be to not buy at all. Wait for the 2nd release of each game and if they have dropped EPIC then I'll buy both.

Unfortunately that's why I have to assume I'll never get those games. Once they have built a community on EPIC the game can't leave EPIC without disappointing their EPIC customers, so that game is stuck with EPIC exclusives for that IP indefinitely. I doubt those games that signed on as the 1st round of EPIC exclusives thought this through that far ahead.

And, that's where it gets to be such a mess I don't even want to think about it, which is the main reason to move on to other games and give up on the EPIC exclusive games, at least for me.

Last edited: Aug 27, 2019
  5. yosv211

yosv211 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    So far I like Epic game store, sure they are new but they will improve with time. Steam had the same issues.

hmscott likes this.
  6. saturnotaku

saturnotaku Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    Here's the thing, though. Steam's 30 percent cut of developer revenue allowed them to build a product with an unmatched feature set. Epic is taking less than half that. Plus all the money they're shelling out of their pockets for exclusives and refunds for people who were promised Steam keys on Kickstarter projects will not allow them to match Steam's feature set for a very long time, if at all. Right now, we're more than six months into EGS' existence and it still doesn't have a shopping cart so you can purchase more than one game at a time? Get real.

killkenny1 and hmscott like this.
  7. yosv211

yosv211 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Like i said, it will get better, they have some growing pains. I used to sell on ebay full time for 10 years, it took me 5 years to replace my old income when i got laid off in 2008, it took time on my part. So it should take time on Epic's part to get where they want too.
    They are starting small, paying programmers is not cheap these days. I dont have any games on Epic besides the ones I got for free here and there but I'll give them a chance to improve.

Prototime likes this.
  8. cucubits

cucubits Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    This is what I'm banking on too and at least for Metro I have no intentions of paying for it on any platform anymore.

hmscott likes this.
  9. Felix_Argyle

Felix_Argyle Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Another opinion by different developer who thinks Epic exclusivity is good for him:

Ultimately it is up to developer to decide whether Epic Store exclusivity is bad or good for them and if you don't like the decision of developer - you are always free to not support the developer. Just remember that every developer is also a human being who needs money to survive, and some might need more than others due to different circumstances so don't call them "greedy" if they just want to get more guaranteed money for their product by signing up with Epic.

10. saturnotaku

saturnotaku Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    When you're looking to cash in on a short-term payout at the risk of alienating your fanbase and future prospects in the long term, I'm going to call that greedy, and nothing you can say will convince me otherwise. The Internet never forgets.

hmscott likes this.