The Ongoing Disasters of the EPIC Games Store

Discussion in 'Gaming (Software and Graphics Cards)' started by hmscott, Feb 3, 2019.

1. hmscott

hmscott Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    Ok, I'll ask a mod to change it, thanks all!

Felix_Argyle and NuclearLizard like this.
  2. NuclearLizard

NuclearLizard Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    hmscott likes this.
  3. hmscott

Reputations:
    The short disastrous history of Epic Game Store exclusive deal's are causing ethical developers to lose interest in signing on with EGS's exclusive offers.

Why I turned down exclusivity deal from the Epic Store (developer of “DARQ”)
    Unfold Games, Aug 17
    https://medium.com/@info_68117/why-...the-epic-store-developer-of-darq-7ee834ed0ac7

DARQ Developer Does the RIGHT THING, Keeps Promises to Customers
    Coach Toolshed Gaming
    Published on Aug 18, 2019
    A rare bit of good news! An indie developer who didn't take the money and run out on customers at the last minute. This is newsworthy at this point. Coach talks.

Pinned by Coach Toolshed Gaming
    Unfold Games 1 day ago
    "Hey, developer of DARQ here. Thank you for sharing my story!"

Coach Toolshed Gaming 1 day ago
    "My pleasure! Thank you for staying true to your word! I hope you are having a successful launch, you deserve it. Your article in Medium was a breath of fresh air in the current climate. I fully support your decision to stick to a Steam release, despite the efforts of EGS. I agree with your assertion that they are displaying a clear double standard by refusing to carry your game without exclusivity. Cheers"

Gulskjegg 20 hours ago
    "I just purchased Darq via GOG. I did so due to your respect for your customers. We need more developers like you, and I will purchase any game you make in the future."

Unfold Games 20 hours ago
    "Gulskjegg thank you, all this support is mind blowing to me. Really appreciate all of you, I don’t take any of it for granted."

Darq is one of a growing number of Indie devs that refuse EGS exclusive offers:

Why one PC developer turned down the security of Epic’s exclusivity offer
    And what the move says about the state of the Epic Games Store.
    KYLE ORLAND - 8/19/2019, 7:58 AM
    https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2019...down-the-security-of-epics-exclusivity-offer/

"If you've been following the PC gaming space in recent months, you know Epic has been throwing a lot of money around to secure exclusives big and small for its Epic Games Store (EGS) on PC. But there has also been a small and growing trend of developers who are publicly rejecting Epic's money and exclusivity terms for a variety of reasons...."

"Rise of Industry creator Alex Mochi, for instance, said in a screengrabbed Discord conversation that Epic's "deal didn't appeal to me" because "I want for as many people to have access to the game as possible."

SkateBIRD
    developer Megan Fox tweeted that Epic told her they were "focusing on exclusives, and SkateBIRD promised Steam keys in its [ KickStarter ], therefore, nah [on Epic Games Store availability ]."

Factorio
    developers Wube Software said in a blog post it would see any potential exclusivity deal as "selling-out to big companies that would use the game as cash grab while destroying the brand." And so on.

Indie developer Unfold Games is the latest to publicly turn down an Epic exclusivity offer for its dream-like adventure game DARQ. The team went into more detail than most on the decision in a Medium post this weekend, explaining why "getting some upfront payment on top of guaranteed revenue" from Epic was not enough to entice them.

The main reason Unfold cites for rejecting the offer is a pretty simple one: the game had just been listed on Steam by the time Epic's offer came in and had already attracted quite a lot of attention on Steam users' wishlists.

That sort of thing didn't stop games like Metro: Exodus, The Division 2, and Shenmue III from jumping to Epic long after Steam listings were public. Still, Unfold said "pulling the game off Steam, especially so close to the release date, would surely make a lot of DARQ fans unhappy.

The other reason for Unfold's exclusivity rejection is more interesting, from a platform competition standpoint. According to the studio, Epic "made it clear that releasing DARQ non-exclusively [on the Epic Game Store] is not an option." In other words, the only way for DARQ to get on EGS, at this point, was to sign an exclusivity agreement and stop offering the game on other PC platforms.

Unfold shared screenshots of e-mail correspondence where Epic proposed a one-year exclusivity term stated directly that "we aren't in a position yet to open the store up to [simultaneous shipment]."..."

...more details at the article link above...

vlam Ars Tribunus Militum
    "It isn't the least bit curious that the Epic offer came in AFTER Darq got a steam page with plenty of wishlist interest?

It's kinda like Epic has only made these offers to games that have had success/popularity elsewhere. Epic is riding the coattails of successful brands to try and get some of that success to rub off on them. It's sleazy. It should be distasteful.
    "

VERIFIED AMA
    AMA - I'm the developer of DARQ, and I just released it after working on it (my first game) for over 3.5 years. The creation of the game has an interesting story behind it, I'm here to answer your questions.

submitted 4 days ago * by unfoldgames_DARQ - Developer
    https://www.reddit.com/r/Games/comments/cqrtpx/ama_im_the_developer_of_darq_and_i_just_released/

https://www.google.com/search?q=darq+reddit

Darq - Review Thread
    submitted 4 days ago by diogenesl
    https://www.reddit.com/r/Games/comments/cqyqpd/darq_review_thread/

Darq Review – So Dang Darq

William Worrall / August 14, 2019 at 10:05 AM
    https://techraptor.net/content/darq-review

DARQ on GOG
    https://www.gog.com/game/darq

Atmospheric, imaginative, clever.
    August 19, 2019 Verified owner
    "Similar to: Braid, Limbo, Inside This psychological horror themed puzzle-solving game doesn't take long to finish but the experience is worthy. Well-executed scares, bizarre body horror, and creepy imagery are paced out nicely and don't distract overmuch from the core gameplay. The puzzles themselves are clever and don't get repetitive. You'll have just enough time to catch on to a handful of interesting mechanics but they aren't overly difficult to pick up on. The effect is that the game feels well paced but perhaps too short - as if there's maybe just one or two more levels that could have taken advantage of the puzzle elements and told just a bit more of Lloyd's story."

DARQ on Steam
    https://store.steampowered.com/app/433550/DARQ/

POSTED: AUGUST 18
    "I bought this game because I respected the developer's decision to turn down the Epic exclusivity deal and I don't regret my decision. DARQ is a short little indie horror game and you can tell a lot of love was put into it. Great atmosphere, puzzles were fun, and I'm left wanting to know more about Lloyd's story - which is a good thing! Highly recommend if you like this genre."
    https://store.steampowered.com/app/433550/DARQ/#app_reviews_hash

DARQ TEASER TRAILER #3
    Unfold Games

DARQ TEASER TRAILER #2 (old)

DARQ - Concept Teaser #1 [old]

DARQ - Release Announcement Trailer

Last edited: Aug 20, 2019
  4. hmscott

Reputations:
    We only have a short while to wait for previously exclusive games on EGS to come to other venue's, and the first of them will hit Steam on December 10th. It's spent it's time on EGS as a early access game, and will still be so on Steam through mid 2020:

The wording of the intro in their video seems appropriate. Hades is trapped in Epic until December 10th 2019. :)

"This game is not yet available on Steam
    Planned Release Date: December 10
    This game plans to unlock in approximately 3 months"

Epic Games Store’s Earliest Exclusive, Hades, Now Has a Steam Release Date
    By Nathan Birch, 8 hours ago
    https://wccftech.com/epic-games-store-hades-steam-release-date/

"When the Epic Games Store made its big public debut at The Game Awards 2018, one of the very first games to announce their exclusivity was Supergiant Games’ (Bastion, Transition, Pyre) new roguelike dungeon crawler, Hades.

The game might not be as high-profile as some of the exclusives Epic has lined up since, but it was the first, so it holds a certain historical significance.

Well, it seems Supergiant’s deal with Epic is about to expire, because the game now has a Steam page.

Supergiant Games has dropped a new Hades trailer in honor of the game’s upcoming Steam debut, which you can scope out below..."

Hades - Coming to Steam Early Access Trailer
    Supergiant Games
    Published on Aug 22, 2019
    Hades is coming to Steam Early Access on December 10. Add it to your wishlist today:
    https://store.steampowered.com/app/1145360/Hades/
    Learn more at www.PlayHades.com

Last edited: Aug 23, 2019
  5. NuclearLizard

Reputations:
    I was quite excited for Hades. Then it was announced as an exclusive.

Still gonna get it though as it's right in line with what I like to play, though I'm gonna sit on it till the 50% discount hits.

Sent from my LM-Q710.FGN using Tapatalk

hmscott likes this.
  6. Prototime

Prototime Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    To pick up on an earlier discussion in this thread, a Metro 2033 movie has just announced - to be released in 2022: https://gamerant.com/metro-2033-movie-adaptation-development

And so has a sequel to Metro Exodus: https://www.gamesradar.com/metro-exodus-sequel-confirmed/

And The Two Colonels DLC is out and has gotten quite good reviews. I played it myself and loved it. Definitely worth the price.

All in all, things are looking great for the Metro franchise right now despite the Epic Games Store controversy.

NuclearLizard likes this.
  7. NuclearLizard

Reputations:
    As mad as I am that they backstabbed their fans with exclusivity I am glad things are working out and it's not going to kill the franchise.

Hell even without the PC release this game was going to be a juggernaut on the consoles alone.

Hopefully next time they let us choose where we want to install it from.

8. hmscott

Reputations:
    Oh geez, really? It just occurred to me those EPIC jerks are probably going to pull this exclusive thing at every new follow on release for games they've caught in their web of evil.

So gamers are gonna need to wait 1 year after every new release to get it on other services. Rinse and repeat, forever. What a miserable thing EPIC have done.

So screw that, I won't play the EPIC hostage games at all, problem solved.

Last edited: Aug 26, 2019
  9. NuclearLizard

Reputations:
    I dunno, I got all my updates and DLC on time.

Though yea I doubt I'll buy any games that go epic exclusive. Unless it's something I'm really interested.

10. hmscott

Reputations:
    What DLC and updates? What game on what service?

What about the next release? Why would EPIC release their grip on the game franchise after one exclusive, better to pay for another exclusive and then we gotta wait another year once again.
    Yeah, that's what EPIC is counting on, people that will sell their souls if they want the game bad enough.

Gamer: What kind of gamer do you think I am?
    EPIC: We’ve already established that. Now we’re just haggling over the price.

Why do I need to put up with their crap. I don't. I'm not gonna buy any EPIC exclusive games once they release so I don't need to do math and calculate dates in order to play the games they've ensnared.

There are plenty of other games to play.