The Ongoing Disasters of the EPIC Games Store

Discussion in 'Gaming (Software and Graphics Cards)' started by hmscott, Feb 3, 2019.

1. Felix_Argyle

Felix_Argyle Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Regardless of what Epic does, I would not use "The Quartering" as a source of information for anything. The Jeremy Hambly dude is a typical "controversy clickbait" YouTuber who likes to exaggerate everything, to the point of being repulsive. I watched few of his videos and stopped when he started putting out video after video of "how bad it is that Marvel now has female actor in Captain Marvel who said she wants to see more women as interviewers and critics", with some more nonsense videos like "Marvel erasing straight white males" or "James Bond is woke and outdates men", "Disney erases gingers" and other ****.

If you personally like him and his opinions - that is fine but no need to advertise clickbait trash like this here even if he pretends to care about average gamers.

Prototime likes this.
  2. hmscott

hmscott Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    Did you listen to his content in this video about this subject?

I thought his coverage was good on EGS so far and in particular on this topic, and that's why I posted it. I did mention that they all get emotional at times but on this particular topic he's not gotten as emotional as the others - this topic being the Epic Game Store and OOblets, while others have gotten too emotional.

There are so many other video's I could have posted on the topic, but then again you can't please all of the people, all of the time.

I haven't had that emotionally negative reaction you seem to be having about some of TheQuartering's content, but maybe I've missed those topics. I do seem to recall some coverage about another youtuber causing him trouble that I could have done without and I didn't watch those all the way through - skimming them instead. But, that content I wasn't interested in doesn't keep me from enjoying the content from him that I am interested in.

What other commentators (video or print) would you suggest we all listen to about this and other related topics? Please do post other content on this subject and related items, articles or videos, or social media threads, it would be nice to see someone else taking the time to find content and post it.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2019
  3. Felix_Argyle

Reputations:
    Any other video by any other person not getting into "SJW" topics would be fine - even YoungYea is a much better person than Jeremy ;-) Speaking of which, he just released a video about class action lawsuit related to Epic Games.

hmscott likes this.
  4. hmscott

Reputations:
    Yup, I listened to Yong on this topic - Yong seemed a bit shrill to me this time. I usually prefer and post Yong's take (7 posts vs 4 posts in this thread), but it's good to hear from multiple voices rather than always hearing just one.

Here's Yongs take on this subject for comparison. For me TheQuarterings delivery was calmer and easier to listen to this time:

Epic Defends Ooblets Devs After Exclusivity Deal Leads To Massive Backlash & Harassment
    YongYea
    Published on Aug 6, 2019

Pinned by YongYea
    YongYea 4 days ago (edited)
    "Let's not pretend Ooblets devs didn't contribute to escalation with how poorly, condescendingly, and aggressively they communicated. With that said, it's one thing to criticize a dev, and it's another thing to create fake Discord videos and to throw nasty vitriolic threats and insults that in no way shape or form contribute to the conversation."

Yong was calmer here in earlier coverage, but I wanted the latest news and TheQuarterings most recent coverage came through easier to listen to for me - calmer and less shrill, so I went with that. For me this video was easier to listen to than his latest (above):

Ooblets Devs Mock Community With Condescending Defense Of Epic Store Exclusivity
    YongYea
    Published on Aug 3, 2019

TheQuarterings coverage about how ridiculous Kotaku was for blaming Steam for the customer reaction to the Ooblets taunting and condescending "Epic Announcement" was notable too. Steam's been hands off this Epic mess the whole time except when Epic was groveling through the Steam directory on gamers computers.

Last edited: Aug 11, 2019
  5. hmscott

Reputations:
    Myself and others here with PC's have closed our Epic accounts due to "hacking", but I'm not sure if these or other security PC events are also covered under this Class Action Lawsuit against Epic Games, this reddit coverage is from the r/xboxone subreddit:

Epic hit with class-action suit over hacked Fortnite accounts (polygon.com)
    submitted 18 hours ago by KOTRShadow
    https://www.reddit.com/r/xboxone/comments/coj8gg/epic_hit_with_classaction_suit_over_hacked/

Epic hit with class-action suit over hacked Fortnite accounts
    The suit was brought on behalf of those affected by a security gap in Epic’s log-in system
    By Ana Diaz@AnaLikesPikachu Aug 9, 2019, 5:40pm EDT
    https://www.polygon.com/2019/8/9/20799032/epic-games-fortnite-lawsuit-security-data

Yong's typically detailed and balanced coverage, and he's alone in reporting this topic so far...:

Epic Faces Class Action Lawsuit Over Fortnite Security Flaw That Left 200 Million Accounts Exposed
    YongYea

6. Felix_Argyle

Reputations:
    I doubt that any Epic Store user will get anything useful out of this lawsuit, Epic will just give free games to people as a part of settlement, the only people who will get real money are lawyers ;-)
    It is still good that someone launched this lawsuit, this should make Epic treat issues with their store more seriously.

Also, if you can - you should rename the title of this thread, it's kind of confusing since this is not about Metro developer threatening to discontinue Metro on PC anymore and this is now a general discussion about Metro and Epic.

hmscott likes this.
  7. hmscott

Reputations:
    The world is a confusing place. Who knew EGS would go from "Hey, check out those Free Epic games!!" to "Hey, can you believe what EGS did today?!!" all because of rich greedy people?

It's not even about Metro much these days - which was only the first in a long line of self-defeating idiocy coming out of EGS. It's all about the ongoing Epic failures of EGS, and what stupid things will EPIC and their paid flunkies do next...

So, which title should we go with?

Or should we leave it as is and let everyone enjoy reading the content and gradually figure it out for themselves? Didn't you have fun figuring it all out?

What EPIC title would you use?

8. Felix_Argyle

Reputations:
    The EpicGate? ;-) Or Epic GamesGate or something similar.

hmscott likes this.
  9. hmscott

Reputations:
    Those are good for a start, but we got enough "gates"...don't we?

How about "The Ongoing Disasters of the EPIC Games Store" ?

Or? Anyone can join in for a suggestion for a new thread title...

Last edited: Aug 11, 2019
    NuclearLizard likes this.
  10. NuclearLizard

NuclearLizard Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I think the ongoing disasters is the epic store would be best. Lol

Sent from my LM-Q710.FGN using Tapatalk

hmscott likes this.