The Ongoing Disasters of the EPIC Games Store

Discussion in 'Gaming (Software and Graphics Cards)' started by hmscott, Feb 3, 2019.

1. NuclearLizard

NuclearLizard Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Yea, I haven't really followed the situation but it seems like they have painted anyone who has had any disatifaction or criticism of epic with that brush.

But I do agree some of the response I have been seeing is a bit spastic. If a game dev does something I don't like or don't approve of I simply don't buy that game or wait until it's out later, for less. I used to be polite and would respond in forums and the like but it isn't worth being brigaded for weeks by fanboys.

I'm excited for the DLC. I have the steam version so I am waiting to see how they are going to handle that. So far I have received all the patches and the like so they should still hold their promise of post launch support.

Sent from my LM-Q710.FGN using Tapatalk

hmscott and Prototime like this.
  2. Mr. Fox

Mr. Fox Undefiled BGA-Hating Elitist

Reputations:
    I agree. I don't get it either. If I were a developer I wouldn't settle for 30% if I could only be charged 12%. It's just a game client to me... no big deal. I don't care about whether it has a forum or all the other social media rubbish that I never look at on Steam.

I look at a game client similar to how I look at a stack of paper plates. Kind of like when I go out on a picnic I don't care whether my paper plates have designs printed on them or not. I put food on them, eat the food, then throw the paper plate away. I don't remember ever pausing to appreciate the way the plate looked. The paper plate is the game client and the food on the plate is the game.

Steam used to have great sales and tons of great titles. Now their sales are not as great as they used to be and they are a dumping ground for indie garbage that (most of which) isn't worth the bandwidth and data that downloading it consumes. At least it seems that way to me. A lot of the good games that I would actually pay for, download and play are on a mix of clients or exclusively on a single client other than Steam. Maybe if Steam wasn't gouging them for 30% things would be as good as they used to be. Can't blame the developers for doing what is most financially beneficial for them. They'd be really stupid to do otherwise. They are in business to make money. If they can reduce their overhead then maybe, just maybe, they can afford to sell their product for a little bit less or offer slightly better discounts when they have a sale.

I find myself wondering if Steam charges the devs so much to help offset the cost of all the overhead they have with the social media crap and the free and extra cheap game trash they don't make much, if anything, from hosting. I've never been onboard with the Robin Hood approach of stealing from the rich to give to the poor that seems to be becoming so popular.

Last edited: Aug 9, 2019
    Felix_Argyle likes this.
  3. Felix_Argyle

Felix_Argyle Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Yea I don't use Epic Store but I don't mind that it exists. Sure the way they pay for exclusivity is kind of annoying but this is just a smart business decision and gaming console companies have been doing this for years.

Mr. Fox and Prototime like this.
  4. yosv211

yosv211 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    People have short term memory so the hate against epic will pass over, just give it time.

Mr. Fox and Prototime like this.
  5. Mr. Fox

Reputations:
    Yes, exactly. Or they'll find something new to whine and moan about.

6. hmscott

hmscott Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    Most of the toxic actions are started by Epic funding the devs and publishers, with Epic providing the cash and backing to allow them to profit from it all, no matter how abusive and toxic they are to gamers - their potential customers.

Thoughtless and naive gamers funding Epic's provocative and toxic actions against the gaming community, voting with their wallet to get into games that are exclusive to Epic now instead of waiting for the eventual release on other platforms, is just as toxic to the situation and contributes to perpetuating the longevity of the problems.

If you don't like the toxicity created by Epic, ruining the vibe and enjoyment of games we were all looking forward to playing, then stop giving Epic and their paid flunkies the money to continue.

Blame Epic for ruining the releases of your favorite games with their attention getting BS, paid for with gamer contributed money.

Don't blame those of us that want it to stop just the same as you do, the only difference being we have a backbone to hold us upright and stop us from being a contributing part of the problem.

Replace the **** with the bird word in the link to get there...

Anyone else think it's funny that the Ooblets devs are crying over this disaster after starting it themselves?
    submitted 1 day ago by DaughtersofBelmont
    https://www.reddit.com/r/****epic/comments/cnn974/anyone_else_think_its_funny_that_the_ooblets_devs/

I'm sorry, but... I just... can't feel sympathy for these...
    ...assholes, I mean, they kinda did deserve it. I mean, they did ask for it. And now, they're quote on quote crying for the last 2 days.
    1. Welcome to the internet

2. You can't be complete assholes and then expect people to be super happy and super smiley about the [BS] you're doing and saying, that's just a fairy tale land they're living in

3. STOP SHOWING THE TOXIC MINORITY, most people who play games are wonderful people and I have met tons of friends from video games, these people are just the 0.0000000000000000000000000000001% of the community, it just gives them more attention

4. I love how the devs are crying like babies and playing victim, kinda like zoe quinn and Anita Sarkeesian and mattmundane. It just shows the kind of people they're. Now the doxxing I'm 100% against cause that should be considered real assault. But, other than that, it's just funny.

5. I was on the server for a few hours and they said they get non stop toxic chat, but all I saw was people just voicing their opinion, the only people I saw who were the real toxic was the admins and the devs themselves.
    Them being assholes toward their fans and expecting all the love and support, and when they don't get it, they cry is like me challenge mike tyson to a fist fight and then immediately crying and throwing a temper tantrum about it, it's like mu guys, you ****ing asked for the bullying so you have no right to whine about it and treat all criticism as harassment. Again, I assume they're being doxxed and that part is just not cool at all, remember "sticks and stones may break my bones, but words will never hurt" as my parents taught me when I was a kid. Now again assault is different, but just saying it is just silly to get worked up over, I haven't seen all that many death threats actually get followed through, even when cops weren't involved with a few exceptions by some nutcases.

Also they kinda remind me of Phil Fish sort of, both parties are complete dickheads. And again, I hate to be a broken record but when I was in the server I was just pointing out their hypocrisy about us being babies while they were banning people for arguing with them, and then I get banned, that was pretty funny cause it does sum up their entire response to the real critics. I did goof on em a bit, but was not giving them vitriol, like when I commented, "I'm going to see if Vox media is hiring, you two may need a job there once the game fails" and then I got the admins telling me to stop with the 'harassment'. So, if that's what harassment is to them, maybe they need to stay off the internet, or maybe never go outside ever again.

Darkwolf4 Steam 352 points 1 day ago
    "Remember this part? "I have been crying for two days", yeah, those two days where you were in discord being toxic to your fans, that "crying for two days" is [BS]."

Argorash 20 points 19 hours ago
    "This is straight out of the sarkesian playbook:

1) do something aggregious

2) antagonise the people you slighted

3) cry that you are a victim of harassment in order to get good press from trashy news sites like kotaku and polygon."

ShadowAura 6 points 15 hours ago
    "Judging from the amount of people running to their defense, it's also working out well for them."

Papaknochen Linux Gamer 12 points 22 hours ago
    "Dev: * kicks hornets nest *

Also Dev: Why is everyone harassing me?

Seriously: you were attacking your loyal fanbase and then wonder why people are mad at you. Real big shock.

And "Journalists" are complicit in this by showing how "toxic" the fanbase is. Funny that, the game didn't have a "toxic" fanbase before the dev [screwed] over backers and kicked the hornets nest but journalists will never speak of this. I'm convinced they have a personal stake in all of this anti valve pro "epic" stick and that gives them even less credibility(not that they had a lot after the whole gamergate thing years ago)."

The Epic goon squad don't have to worry about their abuses on gamers, Epic gave them enough money that they can do what they are doing and sell their games to no one and still make more money.

Epic is paying these devs / publishers enough to not be affected by their actions, so that's why they've started taking their bribes and bragging about it, thumbing their noses at those they offend.

Really? You want to give those kind of people your money? Go right ahead.

The rest of us will be patient and not buy their games, or buy them on another service, or play them on other platforms. Depends on how good the game is vs how big of a douche the Dev is to everyone in the gaming community.

@LuckyLeaf sums it up nicely, with a bunch of good supporting details:
    https://twitter.com/NJolski/status/1157112606055780352?s=19

SpicyPepes‏ @DeputyMemes Aug 3
    Replying to @NJolski @ooblets
    "dude thank you for this thread. Honestly don’t understand how people can be fine with something like epic existing. It’s hurting the game community in my opinion."

Last edited: Aug 9, 2019
    Mr. Fox likes this.
  7. yosv211

yosv211 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    People will always find new things or ways to whine on.

Mr. Fox and Felix_Argyle like this.
  8. Mr. Fox

Reputations:
    To be clear, I don't "love" any of them. Steam, Epic, Origin, Uplay, Battle.net, Bethesda... they all suck in one or more ways. But, I'm not particularly passionate or emotional about the subject because I only care about playing the game that I paid for, and my intent is to accomplish that in the most inexpensive way possible. I don't care what client I have to use. It blows to have to use so many, but I think Steam contributed to that situation to some extent by charging them such high (extortionary at 30%) fees to distribute their stuff. But, they're all bloatware to me... just unnecessary baggage that goes along with the digital distribution scheme. If everything were current and DRM-free on GOG that's who'd get all my money. But, I still prefer digital distribution over physical media. It used to suck having everything on CD and DVD.

In a perfect world there would be no game clients at all. Everyone would buy direct from each developer, download a zip file(s), extra the archive(s) to whatever volume they feel like extracting to, and have a portable game that required no client bloatware and no Windows installer execution.
    Indeed. It seems to be a prerequisite to the very existence of some.

People should spend more time complaining about how many new titles (on all clients) are just sucky digi-trash that looks like it was teleported into 2019 from 1996 as a remastered Nintendo64 title before exploding as an anime rainbow puke bomb.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2019
    Prototime and Felix_Argyle like this.
  9. hmscott

hmscott Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    There are the whiners, and then there are those of us that simply won't put up with the crap and refuse to fund it. No need to dwell on it, patiently waiting can be done quietly.

When some seem to interpret the quiet waiting as lack of resolve or disinterest, I can assure it's not. There are simply many other things to apply limited time.

Channels like TheQuartering keep the sane view alive and active, along with other channels that can get a bit too emotional, but still have the focus intact.

I've not had the time to keep the thread up to date, but thanks to everyone for keeping it alive.

Steam & Valve BLAMED For MEAN Gamers! Told To "Control Video Game Players"
    TheQuartering
    Published on Aug 9, 2019
    Steam & Valve have basically been blamed for the existence of mean people on the internet. It's their fault a developer of a small indie video game got any backlash. Back EG Today!

For those of you wondering, what started this, here's a summary by Laymen Gaming (2nd video, but more up to date):

Epic Boss Has A Surprising Response To Inflamatory Ooblets Dev Blog
    Laymen Gaming
    Published on Aug 4, 2019
    Nooz today on Ooblets and how the devs have handled telling it's community.. plus Tim Sweeney weighs in on Twitter regarding the tone of the announcement!

Last edited: Aug 10, 2019
    Mr. Fox likes this.
  10. Mr. Fox

Reputations:
    Agree. That is the best way to do it. Just saying no with your wallet has more impact than being a cry-baby. That's how I roll most of the time as well. If they aren't going to give me what I want, their survival is of no longer of any importance to me.

hmscott, Felix_Argyle and Prototime like this.