**The Official Studio XPS 1645 Intel Core i7 "Owners Lounge"

Discussion in 'Dell XPS and Studio XPS' started by Cin', Nov 9, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. D2K9

D2K9 Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Should I upgrade from A07 to A08? Is there any issues with A08?

Thanks.

2. electrosoft

electrosoft Tick Tock Clarice....

Reputations:
    I'm running A08 (upgraded from A03) w/ a 150W PSU (PA-15) and a 920XM and it runs lovely.

A08 + Good Thermal Paste + 130w+ PSU = Mmmmmm

3. Iceman82

Iceman82 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
  4. mr_magoo

mr_magoo Newbie

Reputations:
    Hey guys, I have a few questions that need answering..

1) My touchpad is a bit weird. If I alt-tab to a firefox window for example and I try scroll using the right side of my touchpad straight away it doesn't work, but does on the 2nd try. It happens every single time I switch from another window or even change from a tab in firefox. Have tried reinstalling drivers and tried using other drivers.

Also have problems when scrolling using the bar on the side of the screen or dragging a box around. For no reason (I'm still holding left click) it just lets the box go and will sometimes randomly minimise the screen behind. Possible problem with touchpad? Should I get it replaced? Saw someone else have the same troubles and they had it replaced and it's now fine so should I do that?

2) I notice on my screen it seems to be "bleeding", in that there are small lines that look really bright and I just wipe my finger over it and it's gone. Sort of as if there was some liquid on it. It's only a tiny vertical line on the screen that's probably only half a milimeter but it's really weird and I haven't had the problem before with any other laptops.

3) I'm not good with opening computers but when I run a few programs the laptop gets pretty damn hot. Should I still attempt to do that thermal paste "fix"? I only have a 90w adapter too so do I just call Dell up and request a 130w one? And apart from those 2 things is that all I have to do to help reduce the temperature?

Sorry for all the questions but if anyone can help with these problems please then thanks a lot...also if anything needs more explaining such as #2 I can try and explain it a bit better

Thanks!

5. GROOVYFA

GROOVYFA Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hey magoo.

For question # 1, call Dell and have them repair the laptop, sounds like hardware issues.

#2 same as above.

#3 I just did the thermal paste replacement from the amazing video guide and had almost no issues. I couldn't get that damn wire out like the guy did in the video, my wire seemed to be buried deeper into the machine on both ends, where he managed to get the wire out completely to make the job easier. To bypass this issue, I just worked the wire on both sides of the southbridge to loosen it enough to slip the cooling cover from under the wire.

I also couldn't get the stupid fan power plug to come out as I was worried if I pulled any harder it'd break, so I had to hold the entire cooling system in my hand while working (not fun). But I still managed to get the job done, in less than 40 minutes.

As for the 130 watt adaptor, please get Dell to exchange it for you to "unlock" the power of the machine you paid for (call XPS technical support as all other departments I tried to get the request completed were completely lazy and useless)! I am currently awaiting my replacement adaptor as well as Dell was too incompetent to ship it with my laptop purchase as promised (and as they were supposed to start doing without the end user having to ensure its inclusion into the initial order).

Hope that helps!

6. endlessz

endlessz Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    is this it? http://www.arcticsilver.com/as5.htm
    how do i apply that??

7. pradipudhaya

pradipudhaya Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
  8. Altairahmad

Altairahmad Newbie

Reputations:
    1. Can someone please tell the exact part numbers of 130W and 90W adapters ?

2. What are the CPU and GPU temperatures after which throttling starts ?

9. jeffyen

jeffyen Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Someone really should alert Dell India that the price of the 130w adaptor should be the same. These sorts of 'mistakes' do happen occasionally.

The part number of the 130W slim adaptor that can be found in Asia is CM161.

10. danp224

danp224 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.