**The Official Studio XPS 1645 Intel Core i7 "Owners Lounge"

Discussion in 'Dell XPS and Studio XPS' started by Cin', Nov 9, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Asherek

Asherek Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    If I remember correctly, this port will also allow you to charge peripherals (iPhone, etc.) even when the computer is off using some kind of setting? I could be wrong.

2. aLcH3m!sT

aLcH3m!sT Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Nope.... You are actually right..... You can charge any device that is chargeable by USB when the LAPTOP off...... It just takes the necessary power from the battery.... Put the laptop in AC and no issues... :cool:

There is a setting in BIOS that you have to enable.... But for me it was already enabled. Check it out... It might be already enabled for you. You have to pulg it in after the laptop is completely shut down otherwise it will not be recognized.

3. BamaBama

BamaBama Newbie

Reputations:
    I'm sold. Trying to find 40% mystery plan (no luck yet) to get within my budget and want to buy. Sounds like an awesome machine!

4. aLcH3m!sT

Reputations:
    It is an awesome machine for its price range.... Go ahead if you can change the THERMAL paste to a good one (like AS5) and have a notebook cooler....

If they fix the GPU throttling issue (heat vent issue), then i think this is the best laptop in this price range!! :D

5. endlessz

endlessz Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    sorry again for being a noob, but what's the point of changing the thermal paste to a good one? AS5 stands for Artic "something" 5 was it?
    is that also needed to fix the GPU throttling issue?
    or only the bios A07 and 130watt adapter is needed to fix it?
    thanks

6. aLcH3m!sT

Reputations:
    Dude.... The A07 or A08 BIOS update and the 130W adapter only fix the CPU throttling..... They have allowed more power to go into the system.... 110W approx i think... And as a result more heat is generated and it is not dissipated that efficiently and hence the GPU hits the max temp set by Dell which is 84C and hence the GPU starts throttling....

So you have to put Artic Silver 5 thermal paste or any other good one and also have a notebook cooler and then you can stress your laptop to the limits and it will take it happily.....

Just my two Rupees!!! :cool: :eek: :D

7. kaushikpai

kaushikpai Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    hi all by mistake i have set .exe files to open with WINDOWS MEDIA CENTRE.... wat do i do to replace it back to normal?? (run as application) ... becoz i'm in deep trouble.. everything (almost all applications like firefox and other softwares (with exe extension)) opens with media centre.. i cant open any application on my lappy other than in media centre..!! :(

and i cant find the .exe extension in the list of change file associations in the control panel... :(

8. danp224

danp224 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
  9. tvdang7

tvdang7 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    so i just got my new laptop. it has a small scratch on the keyboard area not really noticeable its like 1 inch long but consists of small dots not a straight scratch. should i care to complain?

10. willybug

willybug Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Can't you quickly and simply go back to a restore point before problem was initiated. Windows 7 is pretty good in this area and I have done it successfully a couple times (saved my butt and a lot of trouble).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.