===> The Official Studio XPS 1640 Owner's Thread<===

Discussion in 'Dell XPS and Studio XPS' started by Cin', Jan 23, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. funky monk

funky monk Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Yeah, I did what you mentioned a while ago. Teeratures are dfinitely one of the downsides of this laptop - as we've always known. I've put in a fair bit of effort to get them as low as possible.

Irononically the main cause of the leg scorching has nothing to do with the heatsink. It's actually the south bridge which is directly under the touchpad which causes it. I did my best trying to cool it down by making a dedicated passive heat sink for it which extends into one of the mini PCIe expansion slots but I don't think it's really had much of an effect.

Faults I've had so far:

-The original power supply had pretty bad coil whine, but Dell did send me a replacement. It's not really an issue with the laptop but I thought I'd mention it anyway.
    -I briefly got a spec of dust behind the screen when it was new, but managed to dislodge it with some gentle tapping. It hasn't happened since.
    -I've had one scissor and one keycap break. I replaced the keycap but I haven't got round to replacing the scissor since it's only on the F11 key.
    -The right speaker rattles past a certain volume when playing specific frequencies.
    -The rubber spacers below the speaker grilles have come off.
    -Partly as a result of the above the plastic cover over the screen now has some visible scratches/dents. I've tried to minimise the problem by filling them with vaseline but it's still slightly visible.
    -Recently the fan has started making grinding noises every now and then, but a quick tap will make it stop. It's most likely a little bit of dust or something similar so it should be an easy fix when I next clean out the vent.
    -Like you I've also had the silver plastic round the hinge come apart. It tried fixing it with epoxy bit it didn't hold well and eventually came loose again. It's only cosmetic so I just ignore it now.
    -Probably partly as a result of me gutting it in order to mount the heatsink I made the silver trim round the palm rest isn't perfectly straight anymore.
    -Due to dust getting in the gap between the screen and the battery there are now minor scratches in the black plastic.
    -The headphone jacks can be temporamental at times but that's probably from knocking the plug sideways.
    -At one point some of the LED's in the screen didn't function, making the colours shift drasticly. This was soon after I got the laptop and was after an accidental full discharge. On reboot the issue disapppeared.

I feel like I should really do an overhaul at some point. The thermal pads are pretty worn and could do with replacing, not to mention the fact that an SSD would be awesome. It's a shame that not much information came out of the brief exeriments with mini PCIe based SSD's. Failing that an optical drive caddy or hybrid drive is still an option. Seagate just released what is essentialy an SSD/HHD combo unit which looked attractive on the surface but on closer inspection it required some sort of goofy software interface to access the extra storage which might not even be compatible with the storage controller. Failing that I could just wait for larger SSD's to come down in price and ditch the mechanical altogether, although it may be some time before solid state drives of equivalent size become affordable. It seems that no solution is perfect, either due to Dell unnecessarily making things difficult or simply due to practical restrictions.

2. cehennemli

cehennemli Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I have a problem but what is that and why?
    I don't know.
    this is cache benchmark test result;

http://imageshack.com/a/img850/3977/nbp3.png

DELL XPS 1645
    i7 720qm
    and motherboard is new. (I bought it about a week ago from DELL)

so what is the problem, where is it?
    Motherboard?
    Ram?
    CPU?
    Software?
    (Bios is A13)
    (Ram 2+4 DDR3 1333 Mhz)
    (Motherboard: Y507R)

Computer is working so slow, and at games... I can't play... and... there is a problem but what is that?

3. iMacMart

iMacMart Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi Guys

Got a 1647 that has no screen at boot up but the hold "D" at boot displays the colour screens for diagnostics?

I've removed all RAM and HDD, taken BIOS battery out for 10 minutes

Anything else I can try, or is the system board fried?

Regards Mart

4. kilves76

kilves76 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Just get an SSD it will fly, although speed will be slightly limited due to the SATA-300 interface. Intel 600 GB or Samsung 1 TB are good choices. Change this drive later to your new lappy when upgrading.

It's been a superb lappy for 5 years but getting cpu starved. Think interesting models will finally start coming out latest with introduction of Broadwell late this or early next year.

5. Razyre

Razyre Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Hi there.

Not actually a 1640 owner, but I have bought a keyboard of the same variety since I've used one before and am using it for a personal project.

I'm basically converting the keyboard to being usable with a normal desktop (probably via USB).

I don't need criticism about how hard this is, or why I should buy a normal keyboard, I would really just appreciate a straight up and simple answer:

In your device manager does this keyboard show up as USB or PS/2 or something else? I need to know so I can know the monster I'm dealing with XD

Thanks!

6. Kattmandu

Kattmandu Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I put a Samsung 840 Pro in my Studio XPS 1647 and it was night and day difference form the original 7200rpm drive. A simple restart of Windows 7 went from over 2 minutes to about 40 seconds. Windows 8.1 should knock a few more seconds off that (but I would lose Dell Wireless 370 Bluetooth Minicard driver support).

7. pLUSpISTOL

pLUSpISTOL Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I ditched Chrome recently for Waterfox which is a x64 variant of Firefox. It's been brilliant and is not only faster but has reduced memory usage and CPU hogging. Google released a x64 version of Chrome a few days ago but I won't be going back if I can help it.

The laptop still gets warm under certain conditions, mainly Adobe apps and HD video but it's not a big deal with a cooling pad underneath.

Sounds like you've done a lot of modding to try and fix the heat issues - wish I had the time! Like you and others say probably not worth it as it will be time to upgrade soon I guess. You should definitely get an SSD it's been fantastic for me. The quick startup and shutdown is amazing especially on 8.1. Secondly not having to worry about moving parts has made it a lot more portable for me.

Yeah the hybrids are cheaper but I would just splash out on a full SSD. I'm a student so I had a budget at the time but it would be worth saving up if you need the storage. I also found there is an ExpressCard SSD! Quite expensive so not sure I'll be giving it a go.

8. pLUSpISTOL

pLUSpISTOL Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Very strange. Hopefully by now you've got in touch with Dell and they should sort it out for you.

Yes unfortunately sounds to me like the motherboard has gone.

Yep can't agree more. The SSD has been a fantastic upgrade for me even with limited storage. I'm also thinking of a new laptop in a few months... Suggestions would be nice!

Interesting project. Here you go, from Win8.1, just the one stock 1640 keyboard plugged in by the way.
    [​IMG]

<3 SSD. Are you certain you'd lose driver support? Also Bluetooth cards are so cheap online you could probably get another.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.