===> The Official Studio XPS 1640 Owner's Thread<===

Discussion in 'Dell XPS and Studio XPS' started by Cin', Jan 23, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. funky monk

funky monk Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    If you have lots of programs open in the background while you game then it might help or play RTS games then it might help, otherwise it'll make little difference.

As for alternatives to what Dell sell there are many different brands. Unless you're getting high end RAM then anything more than £20-£25 for a 4GB stick then you're getting ripped off.

Just checked, Dell are trying to sell a 4GB stick for £135. I doubt Apple would even rip you off that badly. Just get two of these if you want to upgrade, I'd have to hit you if you bought it for that price from dell.

http://www.ebuyer.com/191220-corsai...z-laptop-memory-kit-so-dimm-cmso8gx3m2a1333c9

2. eblade

eblade Newbie

Reputations:
    Back to Dell; joining the SXPS 16 crew:
    [​IMG]
    T9550, 4GB ram, 4670, 500GB Seagate and RGBLED 1080p all for $360 craigslist. This thing runs hotter than my old Inspiron 5150 (P4 3.06GHz). Dell is still making cooling systems that are still not up to par 5 years later....

Using RMclock to undervolt and limit to 9x multi and replaced the stock paste with MX-2 still idles around 50c and jumps to 70c on Prime95 load. Futures plans are going to change to P8600, remove all the dust filters and replace the stock heatpads..

UPDATE: Replaced the stock heat pads and changed out the T9550 to a P8600. It runs about 8c cooler. Idles high 40's and maxes around the mid 60's. Overall I am pleased with the results. If anyone wants the T9550 PM me.

RMClock settings:
    [​IMG]

3. funky monk

Reputations:
    I realise this thread is a little old, but I was wondering if anyone could shed any light.

I'm planning on upgrading my 1640 soon, and hoping to put a mPCIe SSD in. However there is no documentation on whether boot from the slot is even possible or whether it'll even recognise the drive. There are a few mini PCIe SSD's out there which have their own integrated SATA controller, so it's not the same as the faux mini SSD's you see in netbooks.

Since I'm out of warrenty, dell won't talk to me unless it's on a phone line to a call centre in India, where it's hard to even tell what they're saying (no offense, India, but over a phone line things can be difficult).

4. KOTULCN

KOTULCN Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I took my bluray UJ235A out of my XPS & installed it in an external enclosure so I can use it on my MBP, is it possible to install the MBP superdrive which is 9.5mm in my XPS? Im going to add an ssd into my MBP optibay.

5. SovereignGFC

SovereignGFC Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Hopefully this won't get me in trouble for thread-dredging, but it is the only thread dedicated to this rather troublesome machine.

Does anyone have a 240w power supply (or whatever lager size comes after 130w)? Is there any benefit to it? My own rough calculations at one point suggested this machine could use over 150w with GPU and CPU fully loaded so if true, the 130w is still not enough.

I'd imagine if it is worth it, you'd have to get one intended for the XPS 17 line.

6. pLUSpISTOL

pLUSpISTOL Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Wow, it's been a long time since the last post in this thread!

Just thought I'd post and say I'm still rocking this laptop and if it lasts at least until May then I'll be able to say it's served me well for the entirety of my University course. Almost 5 years! There was only ever one problem, the first month I had it a Dell tech had to come round and swap out the motherboard free of charge.
    Oh and of course it was vital to get a cooling pad for it, a Zalman has kept the heating down really well.
    Thinking of swapping out the processor soon for one of the fastest Socket P ones...

7. msboc

msboc Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I got my 1640 as a replacement for the 1535. It's been great with one exception. My CD/DVD player is kaput and I rarely used it. I haven't bought an external drive, but might at some point. I also don't use this laptop as much now that I have an iPad though I could never be without a computer.

I'm wondering what others are thinking of buying as their next laptop.

8. pLUSpISTOL

Reputations:
    Just finished up installing and setting up Windows 8.1 on my 1640.
    Drivers mostly seemed to install automatically. Only extra things I did was download the latest graphics drivers straight from ATI, install QuickSet (still works), IDT audio drivers.
    One problem was how to enable the touchpad's multitouch abilities. The latest version on the Synaptics site doesn't install, ended up installing a set for an Inspiron laptop (filename "R257288.exe") and they work great.
    Lastly, I was running around like a madman wondering why the Creative webcam (Integrated Camera) seems to work in "legacy" mode but when trying to load the Windows 8 Camera app it displays an error. Skype originally wasn't liking the webcam but after updating it through the Store it seems to be working now. Maybe in the future the Camera app will be updated, if not it's not even a big deal anyway.

You could probably pick up a replacement drive off eBay pretty cheap if you wanted, maybe even a BluRay?

9. funky monk

Reputations:
    I thought I'd chime in and say that my 1640 is also still with me and remains my main computer.

It's not without its quirks and it's starting to show its age, but it's lasted me well so far. Most of the faults are purely cosmetic.

10. pLUSpISTOL

Reputations:
    Same, I've got some dust behind the screen which I could clean but it doesn't bother me. The plastic encasing the left hinge is very slightly undone but still strong. Apart from that it's all good!

The Camera works on Skype in Windows 8.1 with the Windows default drivers, not the Creative ones.

I've upgraded to an SSD and the processor from a T6440 to a T9600 (2.0ghz dual to a 2.8ghz dual). Loving it and now that I've set up Win8.1 with everything I need I'm really enjoying it. Upgrading the processor was so easy, love that Dell left everything easy to access.

One thing I'll say is that anyone reading this should just take the battery out, take off the bottom cover and slide off the vent on the left hand side. I didn't realise that a lot of dust had accumulated in an area which was completely unreachable. It's helped the airflow a lot now that it's gone.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.