===> The Official Studio XPS 1640 Owner's Thread<===

Discussion in 'Dell XPS and Studio XPS' started by Cin', Jan 23, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Staticbursts

Staticbursts Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Thank you SO much Colbs, that discount finally inspired me to purchase this laptop! As much as I wanted the ATI 4670, at this point I'm so happy that I found such a good deal for such a good price! For college the 3 year warranty is wicked nice!

Here's the link that Colbs posted with $419 instant savings:

http://configure.us.dell.com/dellst...k_number=17970622&kc=features~vpjune_xps_16_2

I believe that it only works for the EPP site, which means that you must be a student or a member of the EPP program. Because you are getting so much off Dell starts you off with the 2.53ghz processor and at least a 3 year warranty w/ complete care and a Blu-ray player...but even if you don't need these it still comes out cheaper than a comparable one with the $229 discount even with less warranty and a slower processor.

To the person who asked about the 500gb 7200rpm harddrive, it looks like they are only for EPP members as I had the option to select the 500gb 5400rpm, the 500gb 7200rpm (no extra cost just delays shipping by a week), the 320gb 7200rpm, and the 128gb/256gb SSD's.

Basically, if you are in/going to college and are looking into the SXPS16, this is the best deal that I have seen for this laptop so far. Dell pretty frequently has $229 in instant savings, rarely they go up to $366 in instant savings or so (like the 20/25th anniversary sale), but $419 is very rare. Obviously if you want to wait for the 4670 go ahead, but honestly I just want to have my laptop for a month/month and a half in order to get in ready before I go away.

Thanks again Colbs, I never would have found that discount without you! :) :cool: :D

Cheers!

And I will consider the Kensington Lock. The only accessories I bought with it were a Bluetooth Logitech mouse and the additional 9-cell battery (which will be really useful for helping with the heat problem and for taking it to classes).

2. The_Brad

The_Brad Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi everyone. I did a mod on my XPS1640. I replaced the thermal 'crap' that Dell had on the chip dies with some Artic Silver 5. These are the results:

Idle:
    Old:
    Hardware monitor
    -----------------------------------------------------
    ACPI hardware monitor
    Temperature sensor 0 48°C (118°F)
    Temperature sensor 1 44°C (111°F)
    Temperature sensor 2 44°C (111°F)
    Intel Mobile Core 2 Duo hardware monitor
    Temperature sensor 0 40°C (104°F) [0x3C] (Core #0)
    Temperature sensor 1 40°C (104°F) [0x3C] (Core #1)
    ATI Mobility Radeon HD 3670 hardware monitor
    Temperature sensor 0 34°C (93°F) [0x22] (GPU Core)

Artic Silver:
    Hardware monitor
    ACPI hardware monitor
    Temperature sensor 0 43°C (109°F)
    Temperature sensor 1 43°C (109°F)
    Temperature sensor 2 42°C (107°F)
    Temperature sensor 0 37°C (98°F) [0x3F] (Core #0)
    Temperature sensor 1 36°C (96°F) [0x40] (Core #1)
    Temperature sensor 0 34°C (93°F) [0x22] (GPU Core)

Load:
    Old:
    Hardware monitor
    ACPI hardware monitor
    Temperature sensor 0 68°C (154°F)
    Temperature sensor 1 61°C (141°F)
    Temperature sensor 2 65°C (149°F)
    Temperature sensor 0 60°C (140°F) [0x28] (Core #0)
    Temperature sensor 1 63°C (145°F) [0x25] (Core #1)
    Temperature sensor 0 56°C (132°F) [0x38] (GPU Core)

Artic Silver:
    Hardware monitor
    ACPI hardware monitor
    Temperature sensor 0 68°C (154°F)
    Temperature sensor 1 55°C (131°F)
    Temperature sensor 2 62°C (143°F)
    Dump hardware monitor
    Hardware monitor
    Temperature sensor 0 55°C (131°F) [0x2D] (Core #0)
    Temperature sensor 1 55°C (131°F) [0x2D] (Core #1)
    Hardware monitor
    Temperature sensor 0 50°C (122°F) [0x32] (GPU Core)
    Dump hardware monitor

Basically, it seemed I was able to shave a noticeable amount of idle and load temps. I tested load with approx. 30 minutes of CS:S each time. Ambient ranged from 72-74 F for the tests. The unit was on a flat, wood desk with the 6-cell battery. No undervolting or any other mods present.

None of the thermal crap Dell applied seemed to cover well or make good contact. The NorthBridge was also "oily." I cleaned that off so it could make better contact with its thermal pad.

Here's some pics:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Photobucket Gallery with more:
    http://s57.photobucket.com/albums/g202/xxthebradxx/Artic Silver XPS1640/

Also, I did a MS blog regarding my horribly delayed 1640, check it:
    http://blogs.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=blog.view&friendId=135217668&blogId=489365006

3. Colbs

Colbs Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    haha i'd just stare dumbfound at my computer if i took the bottom off and tried to do that. nice though!

and thanks static, glad i could help! i'm ordering mine tomorrow, can't wait! don't want to take the chance of it not being there anymore haha. i will be adding the 9 cell (for the same reasons as you), kensington lock (all the kiddies will be wanting this laptop, but they can't have ittt), and maybe 1 more thing (think i'm upgrading the wireless card.) My mom is also making me upgrade to vista ultimate because she is afraid home premium won't be enough. TECHNICALLLLY the school website says I need business, enterprise or ultimate, but i think its a little BS. especially since i'll be upgrading to windows 7 soon. OO well, they want to pay for the 150 buck upgrade, not my problem! haha loveee going to school on a scholarship

4. MyDellHell

MyDellHell Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Wow! I wish I had found your post sooner. I couldn't agree more...completely useless. I did not even attempt the back cover...it's just that bad. Your laptop will be covered in water droplets trying to apply this thing, and even then, it will not fit right. There is way too much adhesive, once it contacts any part of the notebook...it's there until you pry it off and spray water again. If anybody has this kit and has not used it yet, I would suggest making a stencil and trimming it down so that it's manageable. You may even try two separate halves...and try and cut the lower right corner out, because after four attempts, I still could not get it to cover the Intel Inside and Windows Vistastickers properly...there will always be water or air trapped underneath because the stickers are raised. Your mileage may vary...

5. MyDellHell

Reputations:

6. galgalisandeep

galgalisandeep Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Guys one of my friend is comming from us and am planing to get the 9cell battery,can anyone provide me the link,wherein he can order and get it for me.

One more stupid question:
    Can I use that 9 cell battery,with the lap I got in India?

7. MyDellHell

Reputations:
    On a happier note, I think I may be one of the few who ponied up an extra $40 for the Bluetooth Media Remote that was offered as an add on when I ordered my system. It was delayed for a long time, but I finally got it and it seems to work as advetised...I-Tunes recognizes it too. It is not a dell part. It's an aftermarket device...the name of it is "Interlink Electronics Express Card Media Remote for Bluetooth". It does not fit flush into the express card slot...a quarter inch or so sticks out, but it's black and doesn't look bad. Maybe ya'll can find one cheap somewhere. Last time I looked, there was no option for any kind of media remote now on the Dell configurator.

8. scorpeeon

scorpeeon Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    so.. isn't this for anyone only for EPP members? what does this even mean, how can I be part of this? or can i even be EPP member if i'm a student but i'm not from the us and don't even live there only for a few months?
    or should i just forget about this deal because there's no way for me to get it and look after other deals?

9. Staticbursts

Staticbursts Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    If you are a student or an employee then there is a good chance that your school/employer has a deal with Dell that allows their students/employees to access the Dell EPP website.

Just to see what it looks like:

http://ucityschools.org/vnews/display.v/ART/2007/06/11/466d6a4e41140

This website is for some sort of school and they provide a link to the Dell EPP and a Membership ID. Most likely your school/employer has some sort of membership ID, so trying asking somebody in the computer sales/IT department.

10. Jeroentje91

Jeroentje91 Notebook Guru

Reputations:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.