===> The Official Studio XPS 1640 Owner's Thread<===

Discussion in 'Dell XPS and Studio XPS' started by Cin', Jan 23, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RWUK

RWUK Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    This is a really stupid question, I know but I have to ask it.

When in sleep mode, the SXPS 16 flashes the power and side hinge lights on and off. That bugs the hell out of me. I'd like to be able to put the computer to sleep over the night instead of shutting down every time but I don't want it flashing in an otherwise dark room, it just keeps me awake.

Has anyone disabled these via software? I'd rather not pluck out the individual bulbs from the case but the point of sleep mode is for the comp to basically be 'on' but in a very low power state, not giving a light show.

The blue light ring on the power cord also is a waste but some heat shrink tubing can cover it up. Other than that, I love the computer.

Anyone?.....Bueller?

2. metroline

metroline Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    im pretty sure you can just unplug the hinge light ribbon from the motherboard. its probably next to the lcd cable connection. but in order to get to it youd need to remove the keyboard, which is a lot of screws.

3. LucasDurant

LucasDurant Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    My SXPS arrived a few days ago and I was thrilled, but when I immediatly tried to connect to wifi, I found that I was unable to. The problem was that my computer didn't even recognize that a card was there. Eventually I was able to reinstall drivers to get it to work, but now it won't work...What is the deal?? My computer only sees the LAN and there is absolutly no WLAN, I have tried to reinstall drivers with no luck...HELP!!!!

4. brazilianguy

brazilianguy Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    18.4 inches? Are you kidding me? :eek: I sometimes think of the 1640 as big, 18.4 is just too much!

That also happened to me once... I just covered the lights with some dirty underwear... :D After that once, I just putted the computer to hibernate instead of to sleep... And it raises an important question: do you guys know what the difference is? (Hibernation X Sleep mode)

Changing the subject, one problem that I've been having is regarding the dell touchpad driver... Every time I restart the computer, it also set my touchpad settings to default. Is there a way to correct it? Maybe a hack or some registry alteration. I'm running windows 7, and that is clearly the problem since I didn't have this before, but still. Any of you use win7 and dont have this issue? Thanks in advance.

5. maingon

maingon Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    so then how do you like it, should I get this laptop or the Sony that I listed?

6. nomoredell

nomoredell Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    nope. nono

7. galgalisandeep

galgalisandeep Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Guys,am going to use this one for vmware and router simulation......

My questions are:
    1)I am planning for 64bit OS,are the 32bit applications cmpatible with 64bit OS?

2)Is it worth waiting for ati 4000 series gpu?Am not into gaming much,though I would like to run few NFS games and grid at med settings,the question is does 4000 series gpu generates less heat?

3)Is RGBLED screen worth witjout Bluray ROM?

Please help me to decide.

8. Jeroentje91

Jeroentje91 Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Try the hibernate function instead of the sleep modus. It will cost a bit more time to power up then, but the hinge lights won't flash and you will save a lot of power! If hibernate is not available in your start menu try the following:

"Click Start button, then type Cmd in the Start Search box.
    In the search results list, right click on &#8220;Cmd&#8221; and click on Run as Administrator item on contextual menu.
    In the command prompt window, type the following command:
    powercfg -h on" (from mydigitallife.info)

Good luck:D

TO Brazilianguy: When using hybernate Windows will write all his memory to the harddisk and then shut down. When powering up the computer the memory will be reloaded from the harddisk and you can continue your work. With sleep modus the computer doesn't shut down but will go to a low energy consuming mode. It will keep your work in the memory, but this uses a bit power.

9. spotdog14

spotdog14 Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Hi guys, I would like your opinion on the SXPS16. Currently I have an SXPS13 and love it, but my wife that has an old Latitude D420 would like to be able to play games on her laptop instead of having to go down to the basement to use the gaming rig.

I am thinking about getting her one for xmas (I know a long time away, but I am planning ahead) so she can play Sims3 on it. How do you think the gaming performance is going to be?

I think the hardest part will be getting use to the 16 inch screen going from her 12.1.

10. poison7fl

poison7fl Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Unfortunately, i don't game. But 99% of my programs work in the 64 bit windows. Also, YES it is worth getting the RGBLED 1080p screen, because the 720p really sucks, it isn't much better than the old 1280x800 screens. I sent mine back and got the 1080p. It is really worth it, and I don't watch bluray, just everyday computing, pictures, and internet look better with it.

Honestly, Dell screwed up.... or people are suckered by the "HD" label, but they shouldn't offer a 720p on the 16, they should... at the least offer 900 and 1080, the 720 just doesn't cut it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.