===> The Official Studio XPS 1640 Owner's Thread<===

Discussion in 'Dell XPS and Studio XPS' started by Cin', Jan 23, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ItsMe!

ItsMe! Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I looked for this but....
    The brightness on my 1640 with rgb LED always returns from a suspend or hibernate on full brightness (like I have it set for AC mode) when on DC .
    Even when it is displaying just the opening "Dell" splash screen with the F2 for setup showing or when the hard drive password prompt shows too.
    Then you hit the Fn down key once and it instantly jumps all the way down to the DC setting (which I have set to the lowest)
    I tried A07 bios to no avail.
    Anyone else have this?

2. ItsMe!

Reputations:
    BTW I had to replace my hdrive cause it would clunk (guessing self park)
    about once evry 2 min.
    New one works fine but that sucked.

3. ItsMe!

Reputations:
    Is the infrared port just for the remote?
    thought it might do printing or mobile phone transfers

4. 5150Joker

5150Joker Tech|Inferno

Reputations:

Oh yeah you can solve that problem here: http://forum.notebookreview.com/showthread.php?t=376693

5. HarlyFan

HarlyFan Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Hey I need some suggestions, My 1640 is a month old and I was wondering which new drivers you guys would suggest updating and which ones should I stay away from? When I go to Dells site they list quite a few but I know you guys have had issues with certain ones

Thanks

6. Blaze2169

Blaze2169 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Guys I really need some help with this.
    I ordred a dell SXPS 16 with following config
    P8700 2.53 Processor
    4 Gb Ram
    500Gb HDD
    BD ROM
    Ati 3670 512
    It was delivered to my friend who lives in the US, he just called me and said that the laptop was defective and that when it booted up it took a very very long time to boot up as well as make a lot of weird noises, and it became very hot in like 10 mins.
    He called up Dell and Dell said that we dnt sell a lot of laptops of this SXPS 16 and maybe there is a problem with your configuration that could be making it slow.....
    They also said if i reconfigured the lap they would get it to me in a week with a discount.

So now everyone I know is saying the laptop isnt good cause its too slow and since its so costly i should not buy it.

I have 1 day to decide if i want to get it or not....
    So the biggest question I have is how could it be even slow? Its supposed to be quite fast and that too shouldnt it boot up quite ok?
    I know dell has millions of stuff in the background and all but would that cause booting to be slow.

OR is it because its the first booting up and maybe installing Vista and stuff that it takes time to boot up and load?

Suppose i order another one and if its still "slow" can he still return it back and get it reimbursed.

Man kinda sad I just have one day to make up my mind about this, help me out guys lol :p

Did you face any such issues when you booted it up for the FIRST time or is it always slow in the first boot cause of some installation or something?

And regarding the heat does it really get that hot in the first 10 to 20 mins?
    I even bought a cooler before hand to cool it cause i read a lot saying it gets hot.....

7. 5150Joker

5150Joker Tech|Inferno

Reputations:
    Sounds like your friend probably wants to keep your laptop lol. Seriously, mine came loaded with Dell's bloatware (still has it) and it's super fast. If they'r saying the laptop is slow, it could be because the drivers weren't preloaded properly but I doubt it.

8. metroline

metroline Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    solved my own problem regarding deleting and reclaiming the dell recovery partition. i found vista 64 compatible program that successfully moved the os partition called "easeus partition master."

it took somewhere between 2-3 hours to move the partition. once the os partition was moved to the left of the unallocated space vista's partition manager can then simply expand over it.

9. Blaze2169

Blaze2169 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    This is the first laptop im getting and that too from Dell, so can neone tell me what happens when you turn the laptop on for the first time?
    Does it just go into windows or does it start any installations etc..
    My main question --> "Is loading or booting slow the FIRST time you power it on?"

10. Jeroentje91

Jeroentje91 Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Woow! What the...:eek: Mine reaches the 40-50 C easilly with some browsing and installing programs! I undervolted the CPU so that can't be the problem. Strange the temps van show such a difference!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.