===> The Official Studio XPS 1640 Owner's Thread<===

Discussion in 'Dell XPS and Studio XPS' started by Cin', Jan 23, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jeroentje91

Jeroentje91 Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Yes, because this card is already on the market and some people know maybe more about the power consumption.

2. scorpeeon

scorpeeon Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    "AMD published a current consumtion of about 28-30 Watt for the HD 4670."
    it seems to be similar to 3670's consumption.
    a review of laptop equipped with this card:
    http://www.notebookcheck.net/Review-MSI-EX625-Notebook.16060.0.html

"The laptop case warms up less than the Compal KHLB2 (with ATI's MR HD 4650). After three hours of testing at 21°C surrounding temperature, the values for the area around the palm rest reached 37°C, and almost 40°C at the bottom of the case. The next test carried out at 23°C surrounding temperature indicated the spots to be warmer (2-3 degrees), with the maximum value of the laptop's bottom side remaining unchanged.

The graphics card reached the value of about 80°C under load, while the main processor heated up to about 70°C."

3. wlepse

wlepse Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Not that I need an upgraded video card right now but maybe in the future there will be a need. With that said, does anyone know if this video card/mobo will be a direct drop in and if so any ideas on cost?

4. 5150Joker

5150Joker Tech|Inferno

Reputations:
    I wouldn't count on it being a direct drop in. Dell usually makes changes to the motherboard layout when they revise a system for a new card. They might change the placement and/or size of the heat sink for the revision. Hopefully for those of you that have the 3670, they do make it as simple as a motherboard replacement though I can't imagine that being cheap.

5. jcomey

jcomey Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I've had my laptop since late March/early April. I should assume there is no way I can upgrade to the new GPU when it's released for the 1640, right?

6. N20D5OH

N20D5OH Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Nope, it was confirmed a few pages back, it's soldered to the MOBO. The only way to change it is to change the MOBO.

7. 5150Joker

5150Joker Tech|Inferno

Reputations:

Like mentioned above, the only way you would be able to is if they make the motherboard the same specs/size as the current one with the only change being the radeon card. If they do that, then you could purchase a new motherboard from Dell spare parts (if they allow it). I remember a few years ago when the XPS 2 was released, they had a 7800 GTX mobile with the initial release and then later released a 7950 gtx. The problem was that Dell spare parts would not authorize sale of the newer video card to customers no matter what--the only way to get them was to have a system that actually had the video card and it needed replacement. Hopefully they aren't as strict about it this time around if it turns out the motherboard can be easily swapped.

8. 5150Joker

5150Joker Tech|Inferno

Reputations:
  9. tiduspr

tiduspr Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    That is pretty funny lol.

As for the PC im really not sure what im gonna do yet. Ive been without a pc for 2 months and am in desperate need of one. I don't know how Dell Latinamerica would deal with my situation, i guess I'll find out but if they do charge the restocking fee, that would be wasted money... and then ... who knows how long id have to wait till the new video card would be available for Puerto Rico...

Not sure yet.. still evaluating my options. grrr so excited this morning about it being shipped and now just confused =p

10. crusher

crusher Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Yes I returned mine. Told them that it got uncomfortably hot while using. There were no further questions. They refunded the full price of the laptop.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.