===> The Official Studio XPS 1640 Owner's Thread<===

Discussion in 'Dell XPS and Studio XPS' started by Cin', Jan 23, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. N20D5OH

N20D5OH Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I'll have to take your word for it. ;)

So I'm assuming that they're going to start coming out with the 4670 in Europe first. With the blowout of the 1730 and the gaming machines being phased into AW, I'm not surprised, although I'll be surprised if it happens this soon.

2. 5150Joker

5150Joker Tech|Inferno

Reputations:

Interesting, I wonder if these will be shipping soon? If they're the same price as the current Studio XPS, I could always return mine and get this new one I suppose.

Edit: Here is the link to the US bios: http://support.dell.com/support/dow...-1&impid=-1&formatcnt=1&libid=1&fileid=313333

Notes: Fixes and Enhancements
    Support new PWM panel.
    support new configuration with Gfx ATI Mobility Radeon?HD 4670.

Looks like the new version is imminent across all territories. Soon as my XPS 1640 gets here I'm going to setup a return and wait on this new version. I was looking at graphics benchmarks for the HD4670 vs HD3670 and the performance is 2:1 in most cases:

Mobility 3670 performance and specs: http://www.notebookcheck.net/ATI-Mobility-Radeon-HD-3670.9595.0.html
    Mobility 4670 performance and specs:http://www.notebookcheck.net/AMD-ATI-Mobility-Radeon-HD-4670.13881.0.html

3. scorpeeon

scorpeeon Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    :eek: wooow! this seems to be awesome! finally they put this card to this stuff. XPS 16 was already nice, the only thing i wish it would be better in that was the GPU, and now it will be one of the best cards available too, a brand new one.
    now i only wish, that it will replace the 3670 config so it won't cost extra price (at least not too much), and that it will be available in/before june when i'm going to buy it :cool:

4. tiduspr

tiduspr Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    damn.. we had to have this news on the same day my laptop ships .

has anybody done any sort of return with dell before that has an idea of how it would work out?

or.. on that note...

you think there would be any way to pay extra in order to get this card? id be fine with paying extra.

5. 5150Joker

5150Joker Tech|Inferno

Reputations:
    I'm on the phone with returns right now trying to setup a return before the item gets here. I'm hoping I can refuse delivery and let it go back to Dell so I can avoid having to pay like $40 in shipping fees + restocking. I'll update and post what they say. You should definitely return the order though. The HD4670 destroys the 3670 in performance (about 2:1) so it's definitely worth waiting a few weeks for this new XPS 16 to debut.

Edit: Ok I lucked out after calling 3 times and got a hold of an American CSR. She setup a case number for me and said as soon as the laptop arrives, to call back and give them the case number and they'd send out some UPS labels so I can send the laptop back to them. Make sure you don't open it else they will probably hit you with a 15% restocking fee. If you get Indian reps that try to tell you they can't do anything, just hang up on them and keep trying until you get a hold of an American.

6. tiduspr

Reputations:
    k man, thanks. will be waiting for ur input .

7. Jeroentje91

Jeroentje91 Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Does anyone has any ideas what the difference in battery time would be with the new GPU? And how about the warmth problems? Does the new GPU produces more heat?

8. tiduspr

Reputations:
    meh, im probably screwed, since Im in puerto rico and dell latinamerica is either panama, uruguay or some other place.

did you explain that you were going to wait for the other card to be available or did you just say you wanted to return it?

9. 5150Joker

5150Joker Tech|Inferno

Reputations:

I told her that since my system was refurb, I decided I wanted to return it and purchase a new system instead. I didn't mention I wanted to wait for the new XPS or anything like that. In your case, you could probably tell them you decided to place an order for a desktop dell system instead since you need the extra power or something. Just make sure you tell them you plan to reorder from Dell.

10. krionX

krionX Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Do you think anyone would be able to answer your question properly?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.