--->The Official Studio XPS 1340 Owner's Thread<---

Discussion in 'Dell XPS and Studio XPS' started by Cin', Jan 24, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sephoroth

Sephoroth Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Well what other significant changes could they make soon? The CPU isn't going to be seeing any updates until the release of Arrandale which probably won't happen until the first quarter of 2010.

2. AlexSochi

AlexSochi Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    They just refreshed it with new gpu... as for cpu they wont get any better. If you go to business dell's site they let u customize ur cpu to 2.8 core 2 duo.. but thats about all. i7 u wont find on 13 inch notebook in any time soon. they just put it in hp 15 envy which is slimmer than xps1640 but that is already looked at as revolutionary...

So I can tell you there wont be any more refreshments for a while

3. AlexSochi

Reputations:
  4. Sephoroth

Sephoroth Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    IMO other reasons contributing to this include simply falling hardware prices. DDR3 RAM is becoming more affordable, LED LCD's are becoming common place, the end of Core 2 Duo is slowly approaching, hard drive space has become abundant with 7200 RPM HD's becoming more common, etc.

If one tries to get a high-performance laptop (e.g. a Core i7 with a higher-end GPU and an SSD) they certainly can still get a higher price on their laptop. That said, laptops as a whole are becoming more popular allowing OEMs to sell them at a reduced price for the sake of gaining market share.

5. AlexSochi

Reputations:
    all of that is deffinetly true!!! ^^^^ but also has to do with economy the fact like it said there the most people spend on a laptop these days is $800.

6. Shaamaan

Shaamaan Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    I've called Dell asking them to replace my left speaker, and asked if changing the GPU is a possibility. The person I was talking to said that yes, it's possible and there were no indications, that it's a problem.

The only downside ATM is that this new GPU is not available in Poland right now, so I guess I'll need to wait a few months and then call them again. He was also unable to tell me how much this would cost me, not even an estimate. There's also a chance that he had no idea what he was talking about. :p

Again, please remember I'm in Poland, so the situation might vary from country to country.

7. ninja2000

ninja2000 Mash IT

Reputations:
    In order to change the GPU you would have to have the whole motherboard replaced as the GPU is soldered onto the motherboard.

8. aalaptop

aalaptop Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Hello everyone,

I've got a question about my 1340, its not very important but as they say curiosity killed the cat. I'm in Australia and I took a gamble and brought mine off a reseller on ebay (tx_it if anyone is interested). It has never missed a beat so I got a bargain (he even gave me the win 7 upgrade).

Interestingly though it came with a dell 1515 wireless and the 1510 is the only one available on dell AU. So I'm just curios as to the origins of my laptop. The service tag is B4VMZ1S. If anyone has any ideas I'll be very interested

(BTW, my 1515 card works really really well)

thanks!

9. Shaamaan

Shaamaan Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    You're right of course. The guy I was talking on the phone with did mention that. Still, he made no indication that this would be a problem. He also didn't say anything about refurbished hardware.

10. AlexSochi

Reputations:
    Question:
    Has anyone fixed their built in speakers on xps 1340 with success??
    I had a problem with the left one for about more than a month.
    Today both of them make the high screeching sound when playing music or watching dvd's at 50% or more volume.
    Anyone resolved this issure by getting dell to change speakers or any other method?
    Thanx

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.