->The official POST ABOUT YOUR NEW DELL NOTEBOOK thread. <-

Discussion in 'Dell' started by Metamorphical, Aug 28, 2006.

1. Tsunade_Hime

Tsunade_Hime such bacon. wow Super Moderator

Reputations:
    See this thread on how to swap 1080p screen for L501x/L502x, it should be the same part number. Last I checked it was ~120-150 for the screen and 20 for the full channel LVDS cable.

2. Haloysius1

Haloysius1 Newbie

Reputations:
    Thanks.

XPS L502X - i7-2670QM - 8GB DDR3 - 15.6" WLED 768p - NVIDIA GeForce GT 525M 1GB - 750GB 7200 RPM - BD-Combo - 56 WHr 6-cell Lithium Ion - 1 Year Basic Mail-In Service Plan - 23-inch Full HD LED Widescreen Monitor

3. 80sGuy

80sGuy Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Received my XPS 17 (LP02X) a few days ago. I loved the aluminum body and the sturdy built, but upon firing it up and testing it, I'm not as all happy due to these factors:

1.) The power connector (male plug) doesn't like to stay put and tends to fall out when I adjust for comfort, the power got disconnected three times on me. Dell suggested a tech to come out and replace the whole motherboard with a supposedly different jack. The last thing I wanted was for someone to come out and mess/hack open my brand new computer trying replace something that might or might not solve anything, so I declined.
    2.) The overall length of the AC cord is way too short, but I can purchase a longer cord (the removable part that plugs from the 'brick' to wall). Dell only makes a 3-feet length for this model whereas the standard is 6ft. They do have longer cords but they are 2-pronged unlike the XPS with 3 prongs.
    3.) There is a bright blue light, it's actually a ring around the plug end that stays lit effortlessly. It's an indicator that tells you if it is drawing power properly, but very annoying indeed. Most laptops have them on the power brick with a very small green light, but Dell is something else and it is brighter than everyone else's.

Other things on the back (including the power jack of course): is the status indicator for the HDD activity which I don't understand. Why on earth did they put this on the back when I needed to know the activity of my hard drive? Plus there are two USB 3.0 plugs which are also on the back, including the ethernet jack (not a big deal on this one since it 'locks' when plugged in), and HDMI video input.

These are the ONLY reasons why I am bothered by this deal and prompted to have it returned. I've searched carefully and there is absolutely nothing in the market at the moment that can match the specs of this Dell without having me to fork out at least another $300:

- The Intel Core i7 2670QM Processor
    - 8GB DDR3 RAM (memory). Most only offered 6GB unless you pay more!
    - nVidia Graphics card in addition to the Intel one.
    - B-D ROM player with CD-DVD-RW burner.
    - The screen resolution is Full High Definition (1080P) compared to most at 900p. Not only that, the screen is 'Matte', and not glossy! The only downside to the 1080 is that it makes the fonts looks smaller, but downloading 'NoSquint' had solved the issue.
    - Hard Drive -- 1TB (2 x 500GB) at 7200 rpm compared to most others at only 500-750GB/5400RPM.
    - Aluminum Body
    - JBL Speakers with Subwoofer. The sound is better than most of my previous laptops but not as great as I'd thought.
    - Two USB 3.0 Inputs compared to usually one.
    - The Back-lit keyboard. Although this can be customized but the Dell Keyboard and Mouse Clicks feels really nice and soft!

Overall this is a very solid built machine. It doesn't feel cheap like the Toshiba (which I almost bought with less features and costs more) even though Toshibas are very reliable. This Dell felt similar to my little 14" Acer Timeline - nice solid aluminum body instead of the shiny/glossy 'dust magnet' plastic.

Dell had issued me an RMA to return this laptop. I have a few days to decide until I drop this thing off to UPS. I re-checked on an ASUS but I'll have to opt for a smaller sized screen (15.6), no Blu-Ray, only 6GB Memory, no HD screen, no Back-lit Keys but costs $100 more (came out to same with taxes) and ergonomically, the ASUS is much better with most things up front and to the sides. Although the power jack is on the back, but it is on the right corner and I'm pretty sure it is snug-fit, unlike the Dell where it doesn't lock in. I will continue to search for more options.

4. H_E_DoubleRAMSticks

H_E_DoubleRAMSticks Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I just replaced my old Dell Latitude E4200 (Core 2 Duo SU9300 1.2GHz) with a new Dell Latitude E6320. The E6320 cost me only $479 + tax with coupon. The only downside is that this E6320 does not come standard with an SSD. Dell's website says the laptop should arrive on or before 1/25/2012

I also have an XPS 17 L702x and it is working fine, but the touchpad once in a blue moon, does weird stuff. I've decided to sell my XPS 17 to a friend or someone in my family or ebay it. I have had the XPS 17 for more than two months. It is very hard to carry a 17 inch laptop to college classes along with 15-20 pounds of textbooks. I do have a souped up Dell Optiplex 755 that I can play games on.

5. JKB0076

JKB0076 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Just picked up a Dell Inspiron 15R for my wife. Her POS HP finally took a crap(never really ran good).

2nd generation Intel® Core&#8482; i5-2450M processor 2.50 GHz with Turbo Boost up to 3.10 GHz
    6GB Shared Dual Channel DDR3 Memory
    750GB 5400 RPM SATA Hard Drive
    8X Tray Load CD/DVD Burner (Dual Layer DVD+/-R Drive)
    Integrated 1.0 mega pixel widescreen HD Webcam
    15.6" High Definition (720p) LED Display with Truelife&#8482;

$550 shipped.

6. yeuemmaimai

yeuemmaimai Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    My Dell journey started in 2007 with a Vostro 1400 ($987 config)and has continued through the following:

2008 Vostro 1510 for friend's neice. $800 config
    2010 Studio 17 for my father. He still is using it now but he is shipping it to me for repairs and updates. ($800)
    2010 Studio 1558 i5 (first gen, $1208) as replacement for Vostro 1400 that was sold to my friend (He still uses it to this day)
    2012 Vostro 1440 for my wife (first gen i3, Dell's value line of the Vostros- $480)
    2012 Vostro 3540 fully loaded for my self (second gen i7 with AMD as I am not down with the Nvidia solution after getting burnt on the 8400GS-M failure) Dell outlet $735 + 270 in aftermarket upgrades

7. pamount

pamount Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi

I received my new Dell laptop a couple of months ago.

It's a Dell Vostro 1550
    Intel Core i3-2310M processor (2.10 GHz)
    4 Gig of Memory
    320Gig 5400 RPM Sata hdd
    Win 7 Pro
    Office 2010 Home and Student

8. Mfad

Mfad Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi

I received my Dell XPS 15 laptop a few days ago. Its a great laptop and the design is awesome, similar to Mac without the horrible OS. I am finding some of the many problems that other users are encountering. I have yet to face dell support, but have also found them to be helpful most of the time.

9. Ovelerecin

Ovelerecin Newbie

Reputations:
    I have bought Dell Inspiron i15N-2728BK 15.6-Inch Laptop (Black)

Intel Intel Core i3-2370M 2.4GHz 2.40 GHz
    6 GB DIMM
    500 GB 5400 rpm Hard Drive
    15.6-Inch Screen
    Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit

So far so good. I've only had it a few weeks but it does everything it says it does. Good value for the price I paid. Nothing to fancy, but it was a good buy at under $500.

10. SAiLO

SAiLO Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Just took the plunge and ordered another Dell laptop after a happy and problem free 2.5 years with Dell XPS 15 L501x.
    I went for Inspiron 17R SE 7720 with i5 3230, GT650m and 1080p screen.

Can't wait!