The OFFICIAL Panasonic CF-29 Toughbook Thread!

Discussion in 'Panasonic' started by Toughbook, Jan 30, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Driller

Driller Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    picked up a couple of cf-29 LTQGWBM's advertised with 860 hours and 950 hours on the clock, cases are rough, earned scars no doubt, out of the liberal side of US, wondering, how can cases get so much "wear" but respectively have these low hours, guess they have been tossed around or whatever. was going to see if could experiment or go inside these units, but did'nt know the hours were as low as they were, don't want to "gut wrench" these but may face lift them........any ideas? Driller

2. toughasnails

toughasnails Toughbook Moderator Moderator

Reputations:
    The problem is most company workers don't give a @#$% because if it breaks they take it in for another one ............if you paid the 5 grand for it you might look after it better. I have 2 CF-29 (MK3 + MK5) with 3200 hrs and 12250 hrs and this one is mint. Who ever had it looked after. I have seen a few SBC 29's and I think the guys kept it in the bed of his pickup instead of the cab. My friend has spent twice what he paid for it and he just found out that the touch screen is dead.......and I told him so........stay away from SBC. Yes sometimes you get lucky and get a good one but I can not count the post we have had on here like........
    Code:
    [I]HI , I just bought a 29 on Fleabay and the touch screen don't work[/I]
    I only buy if the picture is good and clear and only if the 29 he is selling is the one pictured. You can spend a lot of $$$$ to fix it up....it adds up fast

3. Driller

Reputations:
    you're right, can't believe the low hours on these and the case has seen USE!, but for what I'm planning to use them for, they won't be seen as they'll be used with replicators, namely some of those you pointed me to. thanks, they work fine so far and still were cheaper than anything else I've found. am going to see if I can go a wireless route with cf-29's that I can gain access to the main software package as it is multi-user, so I'll wind up with 3 in each office accessing the main cf-29 and take it office to office, 2 locations about 20 miles apart. sure I don't necessarily what the hello I'm doing just yet, but I'm hopefully going to get things set up with just the single laptop and then see if the rest can be done. I can pay someone thousands to do it or learn and do it by myself, the knowledge means more to me. I tell my kids all the time to learn as much about everything you can because you can apply it to many other things......Driller

4. tstahl364

tstahl364 Newbie

Reputations:
    I had the same problem. Until I found an old ps2 type stylus in my parts box. With that attached, I was able to install the Touchpad and Touch Screen Drivers using CF-29 c/d-series drivers obtained from Panasonic's support site: Official Support Download Center of the Drivers, Manuals and FAQs | TOUGHBOOK | Panasonic

Find your model series and get a stylus. That should get it going. I'm a newbie with CF-29's; only repair 6 so far. But with the touchscreen it needed to see the pointing device that was compatible so the drivers would install correctly. There may be another work around... Not sure though.

The Screen may not be dead!

5. capt.dogfish

capt.dogfish The Curmudgeon

Reputations:
    Not sure what happened, but I have never heard of a CF-29 with a digitizer touch screen. Absent such a screen there is no way your CF-29 requires any stylus at all. The digitizer detects the magnetic field from the stylus, a standard touch screen is not capable of detecting any input other than pressure, it is irrelevant how that pressure is applied. You might have a VERY special CF-29 or someone may have hacked in a digitizer screen, but I'm guessing its just a coincidence.
    CAP

6. tstahl364

tstahl364 Newbie

Reputations:
    That was my original thought as well. But I just couldn't get the drivers to load until I attached the stylus. Weird...

7. Driller

Reputations:
    was wondering if there was a seperate charger for the batteries for the cf-29 or perhaps a panasonic charger module that could do the job as well as the laptop itself. anybody have any ideas on this?.......Driller

8. TopCop1988

TopCop1988 Toughbook Aficionado

Reputations:
    See PANASONIC NOTEBOOK BATTERY CHARGER CF-VCBTB1U on ebaY™.

Charges both the main and Media Bay batteries; even at the same time.

9. Driller

Reputations:
    last message I sent must not have made it thru, you're fast MAN!!!!!! you must be some kind of mind reader, I just purchased it and went back to post answer to my own question and you beat me to it, you ever do anything with the Rhyne Institute at Duke U.? I used to know one of the guys in the parapsychology end with the esp experiments way back when in the early 70's, thanks Driller

10. EldarKinSlayer

EldarKinSlayer Newbie

Reputations:
    Guys need advice. $220.00 for 29lasgzbm No HDD or Caddy, no Optical Drive or caddy, No battery or AC unit. Claimed to have 1gig RAM on board with open slot. As best I can tell it came with emissive keyboard and GPS no mention of either in ad. Also supposed to be Touchscreen have read here Mk 4 and 5 touchscreens are problematic. Money is REAL tight so yes or no.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.