The OFFICIAL Panasonic CF-29 Toughbook Thread!

Discussion in 'Panasonic' started by Toughbook, Jan 30, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Toughbook

Toughbook Drop and Give Me 20!

Reputations:
    The BIOS writing was a GREAT find... I'm wondering if someone could rewrite the model number to a generic one so that it would allow for Recovery Disks used. I've had the Bakersfield PD units and regular Recovery Disks couldn't be used.

2. rusty503

rusty503 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    That shouldn't be too hard. The recovery disks have a file named precheck(not sure of the extension). That file is called first to make sure of the unit you are trying to use the disks on. Simply rewrite the model number first then apply the recovery disks and if necessary, rewrite the model number back to the original.

3. Toughbook

Reputations:
    Rusty... I hope you at least got to relax a little yesterday!

Take care!

Rick

4. Regnad Kcin

Regnad Kcin Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    OK, I have handed "my" Toughbook over to the friend for whom it was bought. He loves the thing. Like me I think he really likes the touch screen. So I do have one last question. He has an external 16:9 monitor. It's a low resolution 1366x768 screen. By default the external display settings seem limited to older 4:3 resolutions (and 1280x1024). Is there a way to enter a custom resolution into this machine? I know 1366x768 can give some older graphics cards a bit of a fit but 1360 looks just fine on that display. Is that possible on this computer? Right now he just runs the external display at 1024x768 which really is no better than using the internal screen.

Thanks again for all the help!

5. Toughbook

Reputations:
    As far as I know.... 1024 X 768 is it.

6. Regnad Kcin

Reputations:
  7. NTTD

NTTD Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Right now my CF-29 is powering my HP display at 1680x1050. You may need to manually install the driver for the specific external display you are using, the external display will often set what resolutions are avalible. The settings on mine were detected via PnP, but this does not always happen.

Also do you have the Intel GMA app installed? If I right click on the desktop I have a "Graphics Properties..." that when clicked on brings up the Intel Graphics Media Accelerator interface. This may be necessary to get full use of the display adapter.

8. rusty503

rusty503 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Relax a bit, yes! Nothing like a day off (the confilict here doesn't have days off). The meals at the chow hall was better and a few other special things.

9. Regnad Kcin

Reputations:
    I did have the GMA installed but I didn't install a driver for the specific monitor. Since we are dealing with a 1366x768 display it wouldn't surprise me if the graphics card says nope we can't do that. I recall reading that 1366 is an issue for many older cards because it isn't divisible by 8. I found with an old P3 machine I had a custom resolution of 1360 was close enough that the monitor was smart enough to simply leave 3 columns of pixels off on each side thus we could hit the 1:1 pixel mapping objective. When I get the chance next I will see what I can do. The guy isn't a big computer user but he seemed to like the idea of a second display. I hate to see a 1366x768 display cut down to simple XGA.

10. tstahl364

tstahl364 Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi,

I received a Panasonic, Toughbook. CF-29CTPGBKM for repair last weekend. At first I was unable to boot past the BIOS. After a marathon (6 hours) session with Panasonic On-Line Support. All they could do for me was supply the manuals and introduced me to a nice utility: WBCD4WIN. Was able to create a nice boot disk with this. But the problem was rectified when I found your awesome post: CD to DVD Swap Tutorial. This got it going. However, once the initial Windows XP drivers were loaded (no updates), It began to have an erratic cursor movement on the screen. I pulled the drives and put them in another CF-29CTP series machine I have. Was able to finish the windows update all the way to SP3 and loaded, but didn't install the specific CF-29 drivers. All this time I had the primary device chilling in the freezer. As I thought there could be a thermal problem. I reinstalled the drives and it worked well for a while; was able it install the drivers (expect the Touch Screen) and loaded the user requested applications. Upon a restart, the erratic movement began again. I gave it a days rest and turned it on. Same prob. Cursor jumps all over and performs right clicks, plus moves the taskbar around. Works ok in Safe mode. Driver Conflict maybe? These are new to me. Worked on many different types of machines and this prob is new. There's a lot of these machines being auctioned as their leases have expired. So I'm sure I'll see more. Any advice? Thanks...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.