The OFFICIAL Panasonic CF-29 Toughbook Thread!

Discussion in 'Panasonic' started by Toughbook, Jan 30, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NTTD

NTTD Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    :wideeyed: :laugh:

2. cooperdisciple

cooperdisciple Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Another Tigerdirect purchase here. Just as an FYI tigerdirect.com compusa.com and circuitcity.com are all owned by the parent company Systemax. Click on the links (for the shopping sites) and notice that the HTML in the center frame is nearly identical and that the feedback section is the same on all three sites. These off-lease SBC units all seem to originate from a company called Metro Business Systems in Connecticut. I don't know if they handled the original acquisition contract for SBC but they seem to be handling the liquidation/re-marketing contract. Or perhaps they just bought the units outright.

I was actually on circuitcity.com looking at HP Probook pricing when I stumbled on to the Toughbooks. I wasn't even really in the market for a laptop!!! :eek: Before I knew what was happening my credit card was somehow out of my wallet and I was reading a confirmation email. What the heck? For years I would occasionally look at the Toughbooks listed on Ebay. The ones I felt I could afford were always missing key parts and the complete units seemed to always bring too much. Having owned a Panasonic EB-TX220 cell phone I was already a fan of their ruggedized products.

I had recently sold my 15.6" Toshiba Satellite for three reasons. First, it was made out of that shiny cheap plastic that is so common in laptops these days. Secondly, was that stupid shiny screen. Third, it was just too big to fit comfortably in my lap. My first laptop was an IBM Thinkpad with a 13.3" screen. I loved that thing. It was made out of hard, dull looking plastic and was the perfect size. It was also very durable. Modern consumer grade laptops just don't do it for me. I was getting by on a netbook and was planning on saving up for a Probook when I spotted the Toughbook.

I ordered the non-touchscreen model since I have no real use for it. When my unit arrived, sure enough it had a touchscreen. I think they are grading the touchscreens. Mine does not seem to calibrate perfectly. It's pretty good but a little off. It also seems to loose part of it's calibration map if I pull all power from the machine. I don't know how this is possible but it happens. If the unit doesn't have a perfect touchscreen I think they lump it in with the non-touchscreen units. It works good enough to impress my friends.

My unit has the seemingly common crack above the GPS cover. What causes that? A vehicle mount? The PCMCIA cover had a bent hinge and would not open at first. The LCD has some very minor heat damage (two spots, 1/8" X 1", almost impossible to see). My battery only gets about an hour at full power and does not report accurately to Windoze. It was completely dead when I received the unit and calibration has not helped. I though about exchanging the unit but just couldn't. I was holding a real freaking Toughbook in my hands...I will never leave you Ma chérie.:D

Knowing it was an off lease machine to begin with I was already planning to buy a new battery for it so no biggie. I pulled the PCMCIA cover and fixed the hinge (hammer & chisel). The crack in the case bugged me at first. Since I have no plans of posting Toughbook water boarding videos on Youtube I have relaxed about it. I'm going to slather some epoxy inside under the crack to restore its dust shedding abilities. I've replaced the included CD-ROM with an 8X DVD-RW I found on Ebay for a song. I gave the unit an injection of Arctic Silver when I took it apart to paint it.

Yes, I painted it. I know that seems to be a touchy subject here for some reason. :confused: I had a need for a less conspicuous look...something that didn't stand out quite so much. I used some olive drab rattle paint that I already had. I know, I'm terrible. I just love this thing!!! The screen is the perfect size. No more tilting to avoid glare!!! And if I do need to tilt the screen I can grab it with one hand and put it were I need it (the Toshiba used to flex). The keyboard has the perfect layout and typing feel. The only disappointment I have is with the output of the headphone jack. At full bore my music isn't near the level I usually listen at. I plan on buying some spares and using this machine for several more years. When I can no longer limp it along I will buy another Toughbook.

I'm infected.:cool:

[​IMG]

3. NTTD

NTTD Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Welcome to the group! We specialize in enabling and feeding the TB addiction!:D

4. Driller

Driller Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    don't know exactly where to ask this question, but when you start up and go into BIOS on some of the cf-29, mk 3's (got three) and mk 5's( got two) it shows the number of operational hours on some of the machines and some no listing as to any hours operating time. one is as low as 350 hours, the most 22250 hours( these are the mk5's). is there anyway I can change a setting in bios to find this figure? just upped the mk5 with a 320 wd ide hdd and added the 2gb crucial ram AZ mentioned and registers 1.99 usable in bios(one with 256mb on MB). I'm sure it's something simple, any ideas, Driller

5. Toughbook

Toughbook Drop and Give Me 20!

Reputations:
    They started including that on the MK4... You can't get it on the prior models.

6. Azrial

Azrial Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    All you will see is 1.99GB in the OS, some or all of the remaining 256MB should be used by UAM.

It's all in the thread referenced in my Sig...

7. Driller

Reputations:
    question about destop port replicators for the cf-29 mk3's. a thread I read says one to use is CF-VEB272A2W. I have a CF-VEB272AW that I tried and the mk3 fits, so I hooked ext KB, mouse and samsung monitor. powered it with the laptop power supply and fired it up. externals look and work good showing panny start up screen and can go into bios as well. when get to windoze xp, samsung external monitor goes into standby mode, open laptop screen it works i.e. the laptop lcd,not the ext monitor. both kb's work and mouse pad and external mouse work. went into bios and changed setting from simultaneous to external reboot same thing occurs, ext monitor into standby mode , open laptop the lcd works as well, but again not ext monitor, is this a driver issue or is it replicator. why do either or both work till get to home screen, windows xp logos come up then it goes into standby. took a gamble on the less expensive 272AW vs. the more expensive VEB-272A2W.did I crap out? Driller

8. Driller

Reputations:
    I just hit FN+3 and it works with just the external monitor hooked up, now am going to hook back up to the replicator......... TB,mnem, AZ all you sages, break out the whips, as with all that I do, learning curves can get steep for a flat lander..... Driller

9. mnementh

mnementh Crusty Ol' TinkerDwagon

Reputations:
    Seems to me you've flogged yourself quite enough; though I'm sure there's plenty of people who'll gladly continue the process...

mnem
    Another flagon for the dragon...

10. Toughbook

Toughbook Drop and Give Me 20!

Reputations:
    You might also want to go into the power settings to tell it what to do when open/closed, etc.... My wife's company has a bunch of laptops that go into replicators and she always calls me when someone puts their laptop into the replicator and closes the lid... Then the external monitor goes dead.

You need to set it so that when you close the lid... It is set to "Do Nothing"

Might help... Then you can control EVERYTHING with the Fn+F3....

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.