The OFFICIAL Panasonic CF-29 Toughbook Thread!

Discussion in 'Panasonic' started by Toughbook, Jan 30, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Toughbook

Toughbook Drop and Give Me 20!

Reputations:
    I like the solar poncho idea... Hunting for metorites in the desert while charging your laptop....

2. SHEEPMAN!

SHEEPMAN! Freelance

Reputations:
    Thanks I think.

3. kopcicle

kopcicle Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    is there any easy way to get these things to boot from usb ?

~kop

4. sunrk

sunrk Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    When I was running my Sun surplus business, that's what I did to keep supplies of stuff in stock and try to keep a lid on prices. It's not easy from the VAR's point of view as I could have charged humungous prices for things like Sun 'spud' brackets and other basic parts, but that wasn't my policy.

It's not very often that we go looking for a specific item and find it straight away at a good price. Now I have my CF-29 I'm hunting for a new backlit rubberised kbd but the one place on Ebay that has them (rugged depot) is charging almost US$300 for them!

Craig.

5. kopcicle

kopcicle Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Ok I did it again . F2 then ctrl + enter expands the list then the PNY 8gb thumb could be seen .
    I knew I could figure it out . I was just lacking the proper ingredient .
    Scotch ! :D

~kop

6. SHEEPMAN!

SHEEPMAN! Freelance

Reputations:
    Tomcat57 may have what you need. He did this morning.
    He has one less backlit keyboard then he had.
    Thanks TC57
    Gork!

7. Toughbook-CF-29HTM50

Toughbook-CF-29HTM50 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hi all have spent most of the day reading almost all of the post on here I can tell there is a ton of wealth of knowledge on here I hope eventually I will be able to help add to it after i get my CF-29 I just bought off ebay. It is a model number CF-29HTM50BM (Thus the part of my S/N) I have a few questions, I know it has touchscreen and WIFI, but I was confused on the pana config website as to the other options it has or has ability to have. Second I picked it up for $265 on ebay includes everything but CD drive, OS, and battery. Does this sound like I got a good deal. Second if I buy a oem cd drive will bios be able to locate it and allow me to boot from my Windows XP cd to install windows, or will I have to try and pull the hard drive and put it in another computer to install windows?

8. TopCop1988

TopCop1988 Toughbook Aficionado

Reputations:
    On the bottom of the Toughbook Configurator page http://www.config.toughbook.com/ you will see the system's original configuration:

***SBC ONLY***Pentium M 738-1.4G LV (Centrino),13.3Transmissive touch XGA,512MB,40GB, WLAN802.11a+b+g, Win XP SP2, Tester I/F, EDGE(GC83), logo, asset tag, replaceable RJ11 jack

This is a retired SBC (formerly: Southwestern Bell Company, before the Bell breakup) unit that was used in the field as a line test unit with the Tempo VIP Sidekick tester occupying the media bay on the left of the system.

Look in the top PCMCIA slot on the right and see if the original Sony-Ericksson GC83 WWAN card is still in place (mine was :)). If it is you can use it to conect to AT&T Broadband (if you are on AT&T with the LaptopConnect Data Plan).

You should be able to find an original Toughbook CD drive on eBay (or maybe someone here has one available to buy). Just be sure it is complete with the Toughbook caddy and is from/for a CF-27, CF-28 or CF-29 Toughbook.

When you have all the correct components start the system and F2 into the BIOS setup and make sure that the CD drive is placed before the hard drive in the bootup sequence, then the XP CD will boot the system so you can install the OpSys.

You may also want to try to locate a CF-29 Mk 3 Recovery CD set on ebay: it will make the install a LOT easier, as it will install all those trick little Panasonic utilities for you. :biggrin:

Hope this helps.

9. Toughbook-CF-29HTM50

Toughbook-CF-29HTM50 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Awesome, thanks for the reply, with this being a removable cd-rom drive I wasn't sure if it would allow you to boot from it without the drivers being installed. Thanks for the info about the config of the laptop, so do you think this was worth the $265 I paid for it?

10. toughasnails

toughasnails Toughbook Moderator Moderator

Reputations:
    Well let me see , toughbook cd drive with caddy $93.00 http://cgi.ebay.com/Genuine-Panason...C_Drives_Storage_Internal?hash=item1c11585c6b + battery $66.50 http://cgi.ebay.com/6-6Ah-Battery-f...ItemQQptZLaptop_Batteries?hash=item3ef112808e + $35.00 Recovery Disk http://cgi.ebay.com/Panasonic-Tough...emQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item2a05daf125 Total $194.50 + $265.00(CF-29) $459.50 :eek:
    Now your next question is do I need all this..... To load the OS you will need the media bay cd-rom, not just any cd-rom will work. Recovery Disk...no but it makes life a lot better , 25 minites and you are up and running with all the drivers installed...if you use a windows XP Pro disk you will be looking for the drivers and if this is your first toughbook 2-3 hours if you are lucky :rolleyes: .Your CF-29 is a MK3 and the disk you need is CF-29 MK3-XP2M-TSW .
    I have the same 29 as you and it's a great Toughbook .

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.