1. You may have noticed things look a little different around here - we've switched to a new platform (XenForo) and have some new forum styles and features. This how-to guide will help you find your way around. If you find anything that looks strange, post it in this thread.

The OFFICIAL Panasonic CF-29 Toughbook Thread!

Discussion in 'Panasonic' started by Toughbook, Jan 30, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sgttoughbook

sgttoughbook Notebook Consultant

how long does this makie the inteier drive wondering if it will fit 18's dont know if some one already asked.

-john-

2. Toughbook

Toughbook Drop and Give Me 20!

I doubt you would have room in the CF-18 caddy... It's an awfully tight fit there...

3. toughasnails

toughasnails Toughbook Moderator Moderator

So has anybody else besides Bill done this. I spent about 3 hours and lost count how many times I took the caddy apart and no luck. I was trying to put it in my CF-29 MK3. I have a WD 160GB HD. I did remove the black jumper and I just checked the sata board to see if I damaged it and its ok .I just put my old HD back in to see if I messed up the cable or anything else but it booted up into windows so its still ok. The other HD did have windows 7 on it but I did a format on it before I started this . I just put it in a HD case to check it out and it shows 146GB (160gb) So did I miss something :confused: .

4. ToughNut

ToughNut Notebook Evangelist

Blair,
    I have a IDE WD Scorpio (1600BEVE) running in the 18mk3 that shows 149gb after formatting. The unit of byte to Gb conversion is something like;
    160,000,000,000 / 1024 /1024 /1024 = 149.01 G

Can't account for your 146gb though. Perhaps another unformatted partition or a couple of unallocated gigs? Why were you swapping around HDDs again?

Ron in SG
    Soon to go down the same slippery path...

Edit: I'll add the following since I'm always forgetting...
    1 kilobyte = 1024 bytes
    1 megabyte = 1024 kilobytes = 1,048,576 bytes
    1 Gigabyte = 1024 megabytes = 1,073,741,824 bytes

Divide 160,000,000,000 by the 1 GB (1,073,741,824) = ~ 149.012 GB.

5. toughasnails

Ron
    I have one of the "CoolDrives" ata to sata boards I am trying to get to work but no luck yet. I really don't need a bigger drive but my CF-51 only has a 40GB in it so I would like to put my CF-29 which has a 80GB in it and put the 160 in the 29. I would of put the sata board in the 51 but it has NO room at all.I am going to try it later on AGAIN but am working on 2 desktops that I have had sitting waiting on the bench for a week now so getting them done first and then the sata mod .

6. Azrial

Azrial Notebook Deity

I need to tear mine back apart to look, but I am wondering how tough it would be to try and put the SATA Adapter inside the Toughbook? I know crazy idea, but it would solve the space problem!

I have never seen the inside of one, but could the CF-30 drive connector and mount be called into service? Now go easy on me, I have already admitted that this is just a wild eyed surmise! :D

7. toughasnails

Well after countless times taking out/installing the sata mod I installed it this time using only the bare caddy / 160GB / sata board just to see what I was doing wrong.Into the BIOS I go...:D 160GB :D .So I must be cramming it in wrong or something when I install it with all the foam because it's tight. I am running the harddrive erase overnight and when I get up I will install the restore disk and go from there.

8. denrosten

denrosten Notebook Evangelist

9. Alex

Alex Super Moderator

With the added adapter, combined with the less than perfect sata connection at this point I will be sticking with my Samsung ide drives

Alex

10. icelander295

icelander295 Newbie

Hi All, I am new to the site and would like to say hi. I just obtained 3 toughbooks CF29HTM50BM.

I am in the process of installing dual opperating systems (win 98 and winxp pro)

has enyone ever been able to get a CF29 to operate running windows 98SE with usb support?

Does someone also have the wan nic card driver as well as the wireless driver and touchscreen driver to work in windows 98SE in the CF29HTM50BM?

Thanks in advance to everyone.

Ken

11. Liamw652

Liamw652 Notebook Enthusiast

12. Alex

Alex Super Moderator

I have not tried
    I have customers that we duel boot w98se and xp on the earlier cf28 mk1 and mk2 for radio programing software
    There is no drivers from panasonic other than w2000 or xp for these
    You will have to search the internet for drivers that are not included with the w98 disk

Alex

13. lrdfang

lrdfang Newbie

Not sure who manages the Toughwiki site but I have an answer for the wireless question on at least the cf-29 mk5.

I have a CF-29PTWGZBM, and it has the antennas and the leads run though the screen, and connected down though to under the keyboard and to one side on the external antenna connection. But the was only one lead coming from under the keyboard to go to the MPCI. The slot is there and everything works if you add a card.

To go along with this does anyone know where to buy a second lead? I had to disconnect the external antenna to get both internal working and want to hook it back up eventually.

14. Silver Trooper

Silver Trooper Notebook Deity

I got mine off Ebay. You can get them with the small connector on both ends or with the external connector on one. Should go for about $5-$7.

15. Azrial

Azrial Notebook Deity

Hey Ken, I am not that big a glutton for punishment, but if I was I would use the Unofficial Windows 98 SE Service Pack 2.1 Final. I am sure that you must have a good reason!

Welcome to the forum! :)

16. TopCop1988

TopCop1988 Toughbook Aficionado

Are you saying that the TNC connector on the underside of the CF-WEB273CBL mobile dock is for WWAN not WLAN?

17. ohlip

ohlip Toughbook Modder

Yup! If it is still on the original configuration, but you can change that pretty easy by just unpluging and pluging the way you want it. Either you want to use it for WLAN, WWAN and or for GPS antena extension. That simple process.

ohlip

18. dbulin

dbulin Newbie

Here's a good one for all of you who really like to push your Toughbooks. I am looking for a good, portable solar power source. It needs to fit into a small 2500 or 3100 CUI backpack with the Toughbook.

Suggestions?

19. Toughbook

Toughbook Drop and Give Me 20!

There was a fantastic solar thread by an old member.... Lemme see if I can dig it up....

THIS is the BEST article on powering your laptops in the field. Terminus was/is a fairly hermit of a guy who lives off the grid in NM (Last I heard) that has been doing this a long time... So he should know. It may be overkill for your application but when the chips are down... You'd have power... And power to spare. The setup is costly but would work for many things.

20. Sadlmkr

Sadlmkr Freelance

The N.M. hermit guys write up was excellent. You need to read the whole thing as there are several gems.
    I've been off grid for 15 years plus and am pretty close to a hermit myself.
    I found we needed to change energy use habits. Never had a microwave so leave that out. No toaster 'cause it has a heating element. I have never had a T.V. in my house. Someone felt sorry for us and gave us one but I never brought it in from the garage. Not enough time to watch it.
    Back to the subject I feel a little surfing for either folding or flexible solar arrays will give dbulin more than enough information to wade through. The kit type units would be my choice as I like to tinker.
    1. How much power is needed?
    2. Am I willing to carry it?
    3. And then there are the dollars. This stuff ain't cheap.
    4. You may need to take a siesta during peak solar hours in order to charge your battery....this is one of the change of habits similar to what I mentioned above.
    5. And the idea of a solar poncho keeps popping into my head.
    Good luck to you dbulin.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.