***The Official MSI GT83VR Titan SLI Owner's Lounge (NVIDIA GTX-1080's)***

Discussion in 'MSI Reviews & Owners' Lounges' started by -=$tR|k3r=-, Aug 13, 2016.

1. gt83vr6reHelp

gt83vr6reHelp Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Looking to swap out the old thermal pads on the vrms etc on the mobo. Anyone know which thickness fujipoly thermal pads I should be getting?

2. mido.fayad

mido.fayad Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    My reply is about MSI GT83VR and the CYBERPOWER Fangbook 4 Extreme and if they are similar or not

I know it's very late reply but I can't see any one confirm if they are exactly the same ...

For me I found that they are the same in everything except bios and ec rom which is very very old and no updates or support for that all from cyberpower

Even you can't flash the official bios from msi gt83 although they are identical so you have to stay on this very old bios and ec

So I tried to unlock bios region as described in gt73vr section and already done successfully but the same problem still here that no way to flash it

Then I tried to use dmi editor to add the product name as msi gt83vr titan sli and this helped me to be able to install nahimic vr and msi true colour from msi site and some settings appeared in msi dragon center but still can't see shift modes in msi dragon center and can't use fn +f7 to use it and still can't flash the bios but remains some success at least for being able to install all msi apps

And the last resort was using direct programmer to bios chip but I don't want to use it and can't flash the bios because it always showing me error about rom I'd is different so I bypassed it with some commands but always showing secure flash rom verify fail

Then I messaged svet about it and he told me that it can't be done but we can try ...
    He started working on it and used his very special tools and just in one day we were able to flash the bios and he unlocked it also .. he is just genius and his tools and work is very special as he managed to flash it as if we are using programmer without the need to use any hardware ..

But still we have old ec and also can't flash it as it will always give warning about incorrect product id although my device is showing as MSI GT83VR 7RF Titan SLI

so again asked svet about it but he told me that if there will be some problems if they are not identical and may be can't even bypassed from the first time and we should try to find how to do it but I was very sure that they are the same and i asked him to try
    And as always he was able to bypass it even from the first try

So now I have both the latest bios and ec from msi site and now I can use it as normal msi gt83vr 7rf with all msi apps but only last small step to get every thing working ..
    After flashing latest bios we have to use the dmi editor again to change product ne to GT83VR 7RF Titan SLI and make sure to use the name correctly and then you will be able to get all msi apps and shift modes will appear in msi dragon center and you can use all fn keys dedicated to msi gt83 as fn +f7 to change shift modes and all other functions and also now I can see my keyborad options in the steelseries application

So this was success and now I'm really enjoying it again as it has all the latest bios and ec updates and can flash them normally without any need to bypass again as I tried the latest ec again from msi site and bios and they just flashed normally without single problem

But small trick to be able to use dmi editor I tried it and the program wasn't working at all till I found that it can start normally and change any value if we changed boot mode to uefi+CSM not uefi only and after changing what we need we can normally change it back it normal uefi mode

Last thing that my laptop has i7-7820hk with dual nvidia gtx 1080 sli

Stock bios was E1815ICP.306
    Stock EC was 1815ECP1.103

Now I have BIOS E1815IMS.312
    And latest ec 1815EMS1.108

Here is pics

1 - Here I was trying to flash it normally without any edit which caused the error about rom id and wrong image format when trying to flash from the bios itself

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2 - Then I tried to unlock bios region as described in gt73 section and found the lock and removed it but still showing errors even I removed the capsule header and another error appeared as failed to load memory as shown in the 3rd pic

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

4 - and here pic showing old bios and old ec which is from 2016 .. very very old

[​IMG]

5 - and here finally after updating to the latest bios and ec from msi site 2018

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6 - and lastly here is msi dragon center before and after showing shift mode and also steelseries finally recognized my keyboard

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

Last edited: Jul 20, 2019
    mkinasz and hmscott like this.
  3. daandi

daandi Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I hope our braintrust can help me.
    GT83VR 6RF:
    (screenshots at the end)

I have recently a few issues with my system:
    a) Fan noise
    one of the fans makes a noise (left side of the device when typing) - sounds a little "grindy" - it's not extremely loud though. It was actually louder a few weeks ago. Where do I find replacement fans? Typically it is a gear or something else that is causing problems.

Or where to find a shop that can replace a fan easily. I could go to places in north eastern Florida or driveable from Connecticut. I do not want to send the device in if avoidable.

b) EDIT: Battery not working but showing 92% charge - found EC RESET PIN HOLE - THIS FIXED IT
    Original text below - I found the EC reset pin hole, hah - needed a long needle for that. And due to the location I always thought it was somehow an eject pin for the Bluray drive.
    Original text: Battery shows as 92% charged when plugged in, device will immediately be off when power is disrupted. MSI Battery Calibration will result in system turning off (no power) immediately when entering "discharging" mode. Anything I can do in BIOS or settings or elsewhere to better diagnose? I updated the EC firmware to the latest published by MSI. Or is the battery likely "toast" - or may it be a controller/sensor that's acting out?

c) newer NVMe in RAID question
    I upgraded the SSDs to 970 EVOs - in RAID 0... the verdict seems to be split as to performance of the software RAID. The benchmarks do not look great in some metrics, others are OK.
    If I do not want to run them in RAID anymore, what is the setting to get NVME access - because it seems that the options in the BIOS are only RAID or AHCI - and we do not want AHCI, I assume.
    Would you still run RAID with modern SSDs (where the performance baseline seem to have gotten a lot faster)? Or will the RAID actually slow down some faster SSDs due to its overhead?

Thanks a lot,
    your help and guidance is appreciated.

Battery:
    upload_2019-7-23_19-50-3.png
    Current dragon settings:
    upload_2019-7-23_19-49-48.png
    upload_2019-7-23_19-49-25.png

Last edited: Jul 31, 2019
  4. jamie walker

jamie walker Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hey what's the best drivers for this laptop I've had a few weird issues since I've had it. And I'm pretty sure it is software utilities problems

5. etcetera

etcetera Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    What is the OEM RAM in GT83?

And what is the recommended brand for this device? I currently have 2x8GB OEM RAM and would like to expand it to 32GB.

Kevin@GenTechPC likes this.
  6. bhudzallmighty

bhudzallmighty Newbie

Reputations:
    I found one locally that is selling one sub $1k, not sure if that is a good deal? I had an Alienware 17 R4 6700hq / gtx 1070 / QHD 120hz gsync which I liked but sold it to buy an XPS 15 4k touchscreen for my wife.

1. How does 6920hq compare with the current 8/9th gen 6 cores?

2. How well does the 1080 sli work? Does it do better on dedicated display 4k resolution? Is it true that raising the mxm 1080’s tdp can improve performance almost rtx 2080 like?

3. Can the screen panel be upgraded?

7. Lumlx

Lumlx Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    You can't upgrade screen. SLI is dead technology. 4 cores is entry level pc in 2020, you will struggle to play latest games.

8. TheReciever

TheReciever D! For Dragon!

Reputations:
    I near max everything with my 1070, SLI might be choppy though.

9. xeko82

xeko82 Newbie

Reputations:
    This is a really old reply but it may help someone else in the future. I had this happen twice to my GT83VR 6RE. Both times were under warranty.

First time: I sent it to MSI, at my cost of shipping one way to them, they covered the shipping back.Returned with a new mobo.

Second time: I purchased the tools to reprogram it and I couldn't manage to get it to work. I called MSi for an RMA and they they covered shipping both ways, knowing I tired to reprogrammed the BIOS. Now, my screen was cracked in the delivery process, with the laptop in a Pelican case. FedEx really scratched the hell out of my case and that makes me wonder if they treated it badly just because of being in an expensive case. MSi didn't try and file a claim, which pissed me off. Needless to say, I had to source a panel off ebay.

10. DaMafiaGamer

DaMafiaGamer Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    If anyone is willing to sell a gtx 1080 mxm from their machine please let me know, I need one to test my GT83's lol. I'd be more than willing to a decent amount for one, thanks.