***The Official MSI GT83VR Titan SLI Owner's Lounge (NVIDIA GTX-1080's)***

Discussion in 'MSI Reviews & Owners' Lounges' started by -=$tR|k3r=-, Aug 13, 2016.

1. gt83vr6reHelp

gt83vr6reHelp Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Anyone here undervolt their gtx 1070s/1080s to lower heat/avoid hitting power limits/sync limits and to get a bit more of a gpu memory overclock? Curious how high the memory go when the cards are undervolted to .850v and 20watts of headroom. Currently running the 1070s downclocked to 1645 stock boost with a memory overclock of 400 on each card. Anyone know the general memory OC range for these cards?

bennyg likes this.
  2. Azunai

Azunai Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Wait, so how does that work exactly? I never done that in my life.

I was checking out this monitor , and yes, i wanna go higher than 60hz.
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/AOC-AG241QX-24-Inch-Monitor-Response/dp/B01LT04C30/ref=mp_s_a_1_fkmr0_1?ascsubtag=UUwpUdUnU61508YYm&keywords=AOC+Agon+AG241QX+24"+Gaming+Monitor,+QHD+2560x1440,+G-SYNC+Compatible+Adaptive-Sync,+144Hz,+1ms,+DisplayPort/HDMI/DVI-D/VGA,+QuickSwitch+keypad,+VESA&linkCode=gs3&qid=1560324993&s=computers&sr=1-1-fkmr0

So how would I have to connect it to my mDP? Just by buying 144hz mDP to DP cable?

Last edited: Jun 12, 2019
  3. gt83vr6reHelp

Reputations:
    No idea why it works but I'll tell you this. My external monitors are 9.7" retina displays, they weren't advertised to have freesync or adaptive sync or any sort of gsync either. One day nvidia rolled out the g-sync compatible feature and it showed up in nvidia control panel after a geforce driver update. Only shows up when at least one of the retina displays are used via mDP. Works quite well, gives me 144hz gpu frame times/latency(equal to my other Dell g-sync 144hz monitor) when only producing enough frames for 100hz/playing at 100hz.

For that specific monitor, you would need to purchase a DisplayPort to Mini-DisplayPort(mDP) cable in order to run the full refresh rate(unless it comes with the cable). As for the monitor itself, i can't comment on the quality of it and I haven't used a freesync monitor before. If you value refresh rate more than resolution, you could get an Alienware 240hz 1080p monitor w/g-sync that is roughly the same size or bigger for roughly the same price. That is only if you have a pair of GTX 1080s though, If you have a pair of GTX 1070s i'd stick with 144hz 2560x1440p. Another option for dual 1070s and 1080s is an ultrawide 3440x1440p @100hz. I do recommend getting a g-sync monitor instead of a free sync monitor as the laptop uses nvidia's gpus. I can't imagine free sync working better with their products than their own solution, ya know?

On a somewhat related note, Are you aware the 18.4" displays on these laptops are overclockable? They are 60hz stock and go up to 100hz easily. Pretty damn smooth.

Last edited: Jun 12, 2019
  4. Azunai

Reputations:
    Yeah, I'm aware that this monitor has a freesync only but since nvidia is supporting it with their gpus from this year, I'd like to give it a go. The difference in prices are still pretty high between g-sync and freesync tho, at least in GBP.

I didn't really know that I can overclock my display. Wasn't really messing arround that much in nvidia control panel. Do I do this just by creating 1920x1080 100hz resolution in it?

5. gt83vr6reHelp

Reputations:
    Correct.
    -Go into NCP
    -choose create custom resolution
    -check the box enable resolutions not supported(or something of that nature)
    -then click create
    -An options menu opens, Replace 60 with 100 where it shows refresh rate(Hz)(top left area of the menu).
    -Click test.
    -if it is stable, the monitor will do its flicker thing and ncp will tell you it is stable. Save it. You'll now have the option to use it. Switch to 100hz and put v-sync on and head on over to vsynctester.com and/or testufo.com to use their stability tests. If it passes these tests, take it for a test drive gaming for a few hours. Look to see if the graphics artifact or glitch at all . If they do not, you are stable. If they artifact/glitch, try dialing down from 100hz to 90hz and re-test entirely.
    -If it does not pass the initial ncp test@100hz, your monitor will hang black and you'll have to reset using the power button. If this is the case, restart, go back in to create a new custom resolution but try dialing it down to 90hz and test again.
    -If your monitor hangs, it means you've gone too far and you need to go lower. When lowering, Try using increments of 5 or 10. If your monitor passes the test, you can try going further by increments of 5 or 10 until you do hang and then dial it back. Most users get around 100hz total.

Games start to get pretty smooth @90hz and up.

Azunai and hmscott like this.
  6. TheReciever

TheReciever D! For Dragon!

Reputations:
    Anyone know the CFM rating for the fans in this machine?

Thanks in advance!

7. bennyg

bennyg Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    On both my MSI 1070s I could get +675 on the memory and max 2050mhz limited to 1.013V with 170W power limit. They were in an older Clevo chassis but that shouldn't matter

hmscott likes this.
  8. Azunai

Reputations:
    Man, thanks for that advice. I tested this on a lot of games. Tried that at 100hz like you said first. In some games it was stable but it some it just wasn't (Like you said, screen blackouts, random crashes) I'm playing on 90hz now, and oh my God... that difference is amazing. Thank you!

I'm prolly gonna buy that monitor I was talking about later just so I can hide my laptop under a desk (so I don't have to hear those vents running :p ) and will see how this goes. Don't worry I'll make sure the laptop has good airflow.

hmscott likes this.
  9. Azunai

Reputations:
    Hi again,

Have you guys ever experianced any coil whine coming from your laptops?

I've recorded this vid in a pretty ghetto way but it's enough to hear that annoying sound.

So I seriously have no idea where is this sound coming from. It happens only while system is running in normal mode (didn't hear it in safe mode or bios) and it does not matter if my laptop is under load or not. Seems like you can hear it more when there is sound comming from the speakers like I showed on the vid. Also, the weird thing is that it's happening randomly, sometimes it's less noticable and on the other occasions it's unbearable.

I tired to dissconnect spkr1 cable just under the sliding cover to see if it was the speakers, tested it and the whine was still there, same with HDD and blu-ray. I also tried disabling speakers in windows and installing different drivers witheout any success.

I thought I ask you guys if you know what is causing that sound even tho this issue has been happening from a long time. It doesn't really bother me as soon as I start to play games cause I just can't hear it then.

Would appreciate any help, thanks

10. NuclearLizard

NuclearLizard Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    A little bit. And it seems to be an issue all over the 10 series GPU's. So it is most likely from that.

Aside from being annoying I don't think it can cause any harm for anything.

Sent from my LM-Q710.FGN using Tapatalk