***The Official MSI GT83VR Titan SLI Owner's Lounge (NVIDIA GTX-1080's)***

Discussion in 'MSI Reviews & Owners' Lounges' started by -=$tR|k3r=-, Aug 13, 2016.

1. DaMafiaGamer

DaMafiaGamer Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Bro I have this issue where I cannot tdp mod any of my cards as it leads to a black screen on boot. If tdp is on stock the card boots fine. WTF is that about?! My gtx 1070's are fairly new revisions on any vbios the same thing happens.

2. gt83vr6reHelp

gt83vr6reHelp Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    That would be a great question for Falkentyne as he is the only person I've talked to that has tdp modded his mobile 1070 to desktop 1070ti levels of power. Unfortunately I don't have any experience in TDP modding at all. Only thing i've modded was the hyperx savage ssd case so that it would fit face up showing the logo under the hood lol.

If you want help tuning the cpu, ram, optimizing raid0 speeds or overclocking the monitor to 100hz, I can help with that stuff.

3. DaMafiaGamer

Reputations:
    @Kevin@GenTechPC since you've disassembled a gt63vr with an rtx 2080, was there a power cable connected to the card or not. Because I think it is very possible for it to work in the gt83vr with the right heatsink mods.

4. Falkentyne

Falkentyne Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    First four bytes of the modded vbios must be 55AA for MSI 1070 (or whatever the original values were in the unaltered file if it's not 55AA). If they are different then the bytes got corrupted. You can look for yourself in the original vbios file. it should have 55AA as the first two bytes.
    I believe this happens because of the 1.8v adapter sometimes. (TL;DR: the first two bytes should not change. This won't happen if you do not use the 1.8v adapter, but you risk destroying the vbios chip as I do not believe the vbios chip is 3.3v compliant.
    You can do a dump of the bios after modding it, you will see 55AA. Then flash it, then do a read on the flash. If there is a verify error, then the file changed. Or if you do a read on the flash and it's not 55AA anymore, then you need to reflash it again until it reads back as 55AA (this is for MSI vbios; other vbioses will have different two bytes; the key is that the first 2 bytes should NOT change in the unmodded vbios vs the modded vbios vs the flashed read).

DaMafiaGamer likes this.
  5. DaMafiaGamer

Reputations:
    But I flash the stock vbios back and without fail the card works flawlessly again. So I think the cards have something in place stopping them from posting if too much current is drawn.

My original Eurocom msi gtx 1070 didn’t have this problem but it was Rev 1.2 these are rev 1.0 taken from gt83vrs
    The programmer works fine with other mxms too like my quadro m1000m or even my 980m when @Prema vbios was on it, that card was amazing btw.

6. bennyg

bennyg Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Current draw on POST is a possible issue. Try the default or a lower power limit with a higher adjustable limit available through overclocking and use MSI Afterburner to auto load your OC on startup. (I have a similar issue with the pump wired to the 5V line in my WC project, I had to wire in a switch to disable it at POST or the EC panics and refuses to boot)

The other possibility is the tweaker tool is mangling the vbios. Check if a version prepared by the tool with identical power limits works ok

7. Falkentyne

Falkentyne Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    You still didn't answer my question.
    Did you a *READ* on the flashed card?
    Did you check that the first 2 bytes (usually 55AA on MSI 1070's) did not change?
    If they changed, then yes, you will have a black screen.
    Any chance you can post and upload your modded vbios here? As well as the original vbios?
    So do this:
    1) upload the original vbios in a zip file.
    2) mod and flash that vbios.
    3) do a *READ* of the mod *after* it is flashed and save it (not before the flash, but after--read it from the flashed chip).
    4) upload that also.

8. gt83vr6reHelp

Reputations:
    Currently working on stabilizing CL17 3400mhz :). All the megahertzzzzzzzz

9. gt83vr6reHelp

Reputations:
    ok, definitely need more frequency ranges. XMP works @ 1.35v but only at 2133 and 2400 since those are the only 2 frequencies I can select from. Using a custom profile automatically defaults voltage back to 1.20v no matter what, even if I load an xmp as a skeleton to go off of. Aside from Svet(still waiting for him to get back to me), who else can mod an msi bios and give me a full range of frequencies to choose from? @Falkentyne @hmscott you guys know anyone by chance?

hmscott likes this.
  10. DaMafiaGamer

Reputations:
    In your bios you maybe able to unlock the advanced menu idk if it will work though. Try this: press and hold Right shift, Right Ctrl, Left Alt and F2. Press these at the same time and you should see advanced menu options maybe? I don’t have to do this as mine is unlocked at stock for some reason.