***The Official MSI GT83VR Titan SLI Owner's Lounge (NVIDIA GTX-1080's)***

Discussion in 'MSI Reviews & Owners' Lounges' started by -=$tR|k3r=-, Aug 13, 2016.

1. Falkentyne

Falkentyne Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    The key to any such things is a multimeter and continuity tests.
    you need to know which pins are wired to what. Ground, 12v, 5v, etc. and to know the amp rating for how much power there is (remember watts=volts * amps), so you cant' just hook up a 3.3v, 5v or 12v fan without knowing the amp rating of the rails.

then some wiring practice and you're good to go.
    One thing electronics classes can get you good fundamentals in. But for those who weren't so lucky, you can learn online and experiment on old hardware that you don't care about the magic smoke coming out.

nuke.gif

gt83vr6reHelp likes this.
  2. Andest2003

Andest2003 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hi

I have a gt83vr 6rf that i have had for a while. I have hardly used it. Can someone help? switching from single to sli gtx1080 or the other way round i always have a problem that it does not just switch like my pc. it goes to a black screen and i have to then push the power button to go out of windows to then log back in. sometimes this has reset the display resolution so i then restart and it will then of switched. do others have this issue?

next question is i had a look at overclocking the screen. i tried some lower settings via nvidia control panel custom screen setup and ended up at 100hz so i thought i would try for a bit. i played farcry 5 for about 20mins and all appeared ok. i also tested to make sure it was not dropping frames and again all looked good. i tried another game later, world of tanks and on the loading log in screen it displayed shaky image showing 4 images in each corner. i then pushed the power button to re log in and my desktop display all appeared ok. I then went to swith back to 60hz and when i did my screen became shimmering towards the top on the bright colours thought i had killed it. This eventually put its self right and stopped after a couple of restarts and i re loaded drivers. I have tried again and sometimes it would start the game fine and others same problem. is it because 100hz was too high? even though it was not skipping any frames. I decided to ask you guys first before i had another play.

hmscott likes this.
  3. hmscott

hmscott Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    Yeah, it sounds like 100hz is a bit too high on your unit, try dropping down to 95hz or so - 90hz is 50% higher refresh than 60hz. :)

IDK about the resetting of the SLI options, as I never needed to do that to get games to work in SLI or single mode, they just did what worked for them.

Reinstalling the Nvidia driver will reset Global options, including resolution / etc, so maybe that is what is happening?

4. Andest2003

Reputations:
    Its the way i have to switch it from single gpu to sli gpu. on my main system the monitor goes off a couple of times then in comes back on switched.

On my laptop it ends up on a black screen i then have to push to power button to log me out. i then log back in and its switched but sometimes the resolution is different. seems very different than my full size pc. I will try a different driver and see if its that.

5. hmscott

Reputations:
    I did play with it myself long ago on the GT80, but I don't recall having any issues. That was on Windows 7 / 8.1, but not on Windows 10.

There have been lots of reports repeating over several years now of black screen issues with Windows 10 getting solved with Windows 10 updates or Nvidia driver updates, and then reportedly being broken again by another Windows 10 Update or Nvidia update, it's been a long term PITA for everyone.

One of the many reasons I don't run Windows 10, that constant Windows 10 update + Nvidia update breakage.

Do you have to switch from single GPU to SLI? I recall no performance advantage between leaving SLI on vs single GPU on games only supporting 1 GPU. I thought disabling one might provide more power for the remaining to give better performance, but on the GT80 I didn't see anything more than normal test run variances.

Last edited: Jun 11, 2018
  6. Andest2003

Reputations:
    I have been playing with single card and sli benchmarks on farcry 5 as on my main pc sli gtx1080ti i have been having issues with the nvidia driver. I have been getting rubbish sli performance on all new drivers since the first farcry 5 nvidia update that was great and giving me much better fps in sli. I have been getting much lower fps when in sli than on single card. The single card has been better and seems to be down to driver.

I was trying to see if my laptop was doing the same or if it was getting better fps in sli. I dont normally switch from sli on the laptop but to be honest ive not used it a great deal. It was a way to see how the new nvidia drivers were working on lap. Thats when i noticed it was switching very different to my main pc. Just thought i would see if anyone else had this on their sli 1080 laptop.

I have also noticed that when connected to 4k tv it does not like to switch from 1080p to 4k and again from single card to sli or vice versa. thought it was just down to tv support.

hmscott likes this.
  7. NuclearLizard

NuclearLizard Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    That sounds like windows 10. Since the past update I've been having a lot of issues with scaling. (I switch from 4k60 tv, 1440pUW@95 and 1080p95) and it's been giving me all sorts of issues plus windows crashes....and this odd thing called windows indexer eating up 1/3-2/3 my cpu.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

hmscott likes this.
  8. hmscott

Reputations:
    You don't need to disable SLI globally, you can do it in the 3D Program Settings for 1 program / game at a time, for example:

"You can disable SLI for the Sims only in the NVIDIA control panel.

Manage 3D Settings > Program Settings > Select the Sims exe.

In the list of options will be an SLI Related option, forget what its referred to as and dont have SLI setup atm. But by doing this you can disable SLI for specific games only instead of enabling/disabling SLI completely."
    https://forums.geforce.com/default/...the-sli-without-it-bothering-my-other-games-/
    720a20a9f65ce63233131d9a381eec1a.jpg
    Hopefully that method won't be as disruptive as doing it globally in the Nvidia Control panel. Also, if there isn't an entry for your game in the Nvidia 3D Program Settings list, you can add one to the list for your game / program.

Nvidia Inspector can also edit the game profile should you want to take that route.

These 2 download sites are the latest I can find, not familiar with the sites, they look "ok", but I'd scan that exe a few different ways. :)

NVIDIA Profile Inspector 2.1.3.20
    March 23, 2018
    https://www.asylab.com/single-post/2018/03/23/NVIDIA-Profile-Inspector-21320
    https://ci.appveyor.com/project/Orbmu2k/nvidiaprofileinspector/build/artifacts

Original Developer Orbmu2k has a GIT repository, perhaps the "purest" place to get it:
    https://github.com/Orbmu2k/nvidiaProfileInspector

Guru3d's version is a couple of years old, and has the authors site download listed - IDK why that developer doesn't show new info about new development, his original site has 2011 content... weird.

NVIDIA Profile Inspector Download Version 2.1.2.0
    http://www.guru3d.com/files-details/nvidia-profile-inspector-download.html

Nvidia Inspector introduction and Guide
    https://forums.guru3d.com/threads/nvidia-inspector-introduction-and-guide.403676/

The Nvidia Programs settings should be enough, but since you are getting into it all, I figured being made aware of Nvidia Inspector might be of interest to you.

Disabling SLI through Nvidia Profiles
    https://www.bluegartr.com/threads/108057-Disabling-SLI-through-Nvidia-Profiles

Please come back and let us know what works for you. :)

Last edited: Jun 11, 2018
    Andest2003 likes this.
  9. hanban911

hanban911 Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi, I will be getting my gt83 in a few days, and i wanted to know if you (or anyone) can give some instructions on how to OC the scrren to above 60hz. also please share your experiences if you have done so, Im not planning to go above 90 hz or so, but i want to know if it is safe
    THANKS!

hmscott likes this.
  10. Falkentyne

Falkentyne Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    If memory serves, 100% of these screens can run at 75hz, and can be overclocked with ToastyX CRU. I do NOT know if this applies to the 4k versions.