***The Official MSI GT83VR Titan SLI Owner's Lounge (NVIDIA GTX-1080's)***

Discussion in 'MSI Reviews & Owners' Lounges' started by -=$tR|k3r=-, Aug 13, 2016.

1. NuclearLizard

NuclearLizard Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    as in?

to my understanding the motherboard would have the same operating temperature tolerances as the CPU/GPU or slightly higher.

hmscott and gt83vr6reHelp like this.
  2. gt83vr6reHelp

gt83vr6reHelp Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Well, right now I have a portable packed pixels monitor plugged in and powered via thunderbolt 3 adaptor + extender while watching a twitch stream, motherboard temps are about 65c/66c while oced to 4.0 ghz. Is this high? I noticed that an extra monitor powered by my computer raises the temps of everything about 10c. Do I have anything to worry about? Any idea what healthy temps for our motherboards are? I couldn't find any information on the msi website in regards to the MS-1815 motherboard.

hmscott likes this.
  3. NuclearLizard

Reputations:
    To be honest I have no idea, I know most capacitors and VRM's can go up to 100-120c for bouts at a time, but no one anywhere seems to list motherboard temperature limits, the scant few thing I can find suggest that that would be a fine temperature band to be within.

4. gt83vr6reHelp

Reputations:
    Gotcha, thanks mate.

hmscott likes this.
  5. NuclearLizard

Reputations:
    No problem, that's mostly what i lurk around for now adays. lol

6. gt83vr6reHelp

Reputations:
    Happen to know where I can find red or black Sodimm heatspreaders? I haven't had luck on google. I know they won't offer much in cooling, I just want them mainly for cosmetic purposes for when I pop the hood.

hmscott likes this.
  7. NuclearLizard

Reputations:
    Not too sure to be honest, other than a swap from an HDD to an SSD I've kept my system stock. mostly due to either not having money or time.

hmscott likes this.
  8. gt83vr6reHelp

Reputations:
    gotcha. I just swapped my hdd for a hyperx savage ssd(only because it matches the msi color scheme---so much OCD here haha). So far I have 3 red heatspreaders for the m.2/nvme ssds and the red/black/silver hyperx savage 2.5" ssd. I plan on covering the silver metallic portion of the blueray drive with either red/black paint or a red/black sticker. Last thing on the list is the ram. It's hyperx impact ram(black cards) but it has the stickers/chips exposed so I want to cover it up with something that will match the color scheme. I may have to make something out of thin aluminum sheets or something + add a coating of red/black paint since sodimm heatspreaders are very uncommon. Also thinking of getting thin mesh grates and painting them red to cover the extra oddball sized openings underneath the hood as well. Still working on finding someone who can make a transparent fiberglass hood so that everything can be displayed like a PC with a glass tower. This is a fun project so far and I can't wait till it's finished.

hmscott likes this.
  9. NuclearLizard

Reputations:
    Nice, I thought about trying to find somewhere I could swap the cover above the keyboard with some kind of mesh or slotted vent to help draw air over the NVME drives or something but I couldn't find enough data to support doing it or somewhere to actually do it.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

hmscott likes this.
  10. gt83vr6reHelp

Reputations:
    I think hmscott mentioned that someone drew power from the 2.5" ssd hookup in order to supply power for a very very small fan for extra ssd cooling. I'm not sure how much cooler things ran with the added fan. I'm sure it made at least a 5c or possibly 10c difference on the NvMe drives though. I don't know anything at all when it comes to accomplishing such a feat. as i'm still very a much a newb at all of this but maybe get in touch with @hmscott to see if he(or she? profile picture has me confused, sorry if I got it wrong) can give you a few pointers or connect you with the person who did it. I'm personally not comfortable doing that type of mod myself and I'm not too comfortable with paying anyone to do it unless they had a fair bit of experience with this specific model. I ended up settling with 2 mm red heatspreaders with .5 mm thermal pads which ended up dropping m.2 temps under load around the 10c range.

hmscott likes this.