***The Official MSI GT83VR Titan SLI Owner's Lounge (NVIDIA GTX-1080's)***

Discussion in 'MSI Reviews & Owners' Lounges' started by -=$tR|k3r=-, Aug 13, 2016.

1. Falkentyne

Falkentyne Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Personally I'd call

143.jpg
    on that one.

@Kittys has a lot of experience on SSD's and stuff. Maybe she can help?

2. Windfurian

Windfurian Newbie

Reputations:
    As a recent owner of a GT83 Titan 8RG I am finding myself very happy with this beast, previous laptops were are a GT72 and GS73, and once I touched the keyboard I knew this was the next model for me.

I actually use this on my lap which sounds a little crazy, the only problem with this is the damn dongle for the dual supplies hangs and tends to pull out, so I am looking at the Eurocom as an upgrade, but I am based in NZ and looks like no one wants to ship them down here so might have to get creative with that.

Main question I have, does anyone have any baselines for overclocking this model?

gt83vr6reHelp and hmscott like this.
  3. gt83vr6reHelp

gt83vr6reHelp Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    From what I heard, the bios is hardcoded so that you must use the two power bricks. I'm not sure if this changed for the 8th generation model. Congrats on your purchase, The keyboard is also what attracted me to the gt83vr. Welcome to the sick baller club.

Last edited: May 23, 2018
    hmscott likes this.
  4. Falkentyne

Falkentyne Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Someone said that the Eurocom 780W PSU works on the "Dual" power brick versions. It HAS Been tested on the i9 8950HK version of the GT75 Titan without any strange throttling (using ONE Of two of the default power bricks, e.g. if one is disconnected intentionally, will cause extreme power throttling). Can't speak for the GT83 units though.

gt83vr6reHelp likes this.
  5. gt83vr6reHelp

Reputations:
    Here is a thread with information about OCing the i7-8850H. http://forum.notebookreview.com/thr...-i7-8850h-i9-8950h-coffee-lake.810891/page-45 HMScott chimes in towards the bottom of the page. I think 4.5ghz as a daily driver is doable. @Windfurian you have XTU?

Once you find a stable OC for your processor, we can talk about a potential undervolt on the core voltage to lower CPU temperatures by 5c-10c. After that, we can OC the monitor to increase your refresh rate by 50% going from 60hz to 90hz or even 100hz. Monitors oced to 100hz seem to be the stable norm for gt83vr models with only one user reporting a 120hz OC. Might as well take advantage and oc your monitor since you have dual gtx 1080s to put out the frames. Games look buttery smooth when a monitor has a higher refresh rate, you'll love it. Keep us updated on your progress and let us know if you need any guidance or help.

Some programs you may want to download if you haven't already:
    XTU (For ocing & monitoring your processor-also for stress testing ram/processor)
    HWinfo64 (All around monitoring, fantastic program)
    MSI Afterburner (GPU & CPU monitoring, GPU overclocking)
    Crystal Diskmark & Crystal Diskinfo(SSD/HDD monitoring & testing)
    3D Mark Firestrike(GPU benchmarking/stress tests, they also have versions for 1440p and 4k)

On a side note, What games do you like to play? Have you given your machine the Crysis 3 test yet?(Crysis 3 is one of the most GPU *and* CPU intensive games on the market. At DSR-4k with max settings on crysis 3, my two gtx 1070s scream at 99% usage and average about 60 fps. CPU usage is also pretty high. I view this game as a real world scenario stress test for computers. You'll have no problem crushing it with dual gtx 1080s + i7-8850h but i'm curious on how big of a difference your gpus/cpu will make in comparison to my dual 1070s/i7-6820hk oced to 4.0 and what the usage levels are at.

Last edited: May 23, 2018
    Pedro69 and hmscott like this.
  6. Windfurian

Windfurian Newbie

Reputations:
    Clocked up to 4.3 without any hassle last night, so will give 4.5 a try tonight, but so far everything has been effortless.

Game wise it has pretty much only been playing BDO for now, little bit of Conan Exiles, sadly haven't had a lot of time for gaming with it and it has been used more for office work (which it absolutely crushes), but have a long weekend starting tomorrow so will load up some more stressfull tests for it.

hmscott and gt83vr6reHelp like this.
  7. gt83vr6reHelp

Reputations:
    Has anyone here ever used a ram cache for their ssds? I just enabled momentum cache(crucial's built in ram cache feature) for my crucial MX500 m.2 ssd and my speeds are 8-10x faster. Read/write went from 500mbs to 4500mbs. This thing is now faster than my NvMe drives. I'm thinking of configuring a ram cache for both of my NvMe drives. Does anyone have experience using a ram cache for their boot drive?

8. NuclearLizard

NuclearLizard Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    The eurocom power brick works with our laptops. Problem is it's a 400$ upgrade. Lmao.

The hard code if I recall is to draw a certain number of watts.

I used a ram disk for awhile. Great for loading games.

I wouldn't recommend using it for a boot drive as it will wipe the drive every time you shut down the computer.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

Last edited: May 25, 2018
    gt83vr6reHelp likes this.
  9. gt83vr6reHelp

Reputations:
    Thank you for the clarification on the Eurocom PSU.

I definitely wouldn't use a ram disk as a drive for an OS as it would take time to reload the ram disk with windows every boot as well as saving it to another location on every shutdown/restart. It would also take a ton of ram to do. I was thinking more a long the lines of a 2-4gb ram cache for all the temp files and a 2-4gb ram cache for my other ssd. Anyone else use ram cache for stuff like this?

10. gt83vr6reHelp

Reputations:
    Does anyone know what the safe operating temperatures are for the MS-1815 motherboard inside the GT83VR-6RE? I couldn't find anything on google.