***The Official MSI GT83VR Titan SLI Owner's Lounge (NVIDIA GTX-1080's)***

Discussion in 'MSI Reviews & Owners' Lounges' started by -=$tR|k3r=-, Aug 13, 2016.

1. Ultra Male

Ultra Male Super Tweaker

Reputations:
    @johnnobts Listen to this guy, he knows what he's talking about. Falkentyne >>>>>>>>> [​IMG]

Donald@HIDevolution likes this.
  2. thebigbadchef

thebigbadchef Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hey guys, if I did a Liquid Metal repaste - whats the suggestion here in terms of a repaste? every 6 months or so ? Just wondering how long shall I wait before repasting. Temps are still below 84C (@4.4ghz) just wondering (at stock clocks and no overvoltage max temp is 76-78C). If you got any suggestions let me know - thanks.

3. Ultra Male

Ultra Male Super Tweaker

Reputations:
    You don't need to re-paste until the temps become worse significantly. Liquid Ultra can last anywhere between 1-2 years. I have no experience with other Liquid Metals just talking about Liquid Ultra

4. Falkentyne

Falkentyne Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    If you have a very good mount between CPU and heatsink, and core temp difference is less than 2C after repasting, the liquid metal should last for 1 year or longer.

Read:
    http://forum.notebookreview.com/threads/after-1-year-of-thermal-grizzly-conductonaut.799343/

If the contact is this good like this, you won't need to repaste at all.
    You can see judal's heatsink is PERFECTLY FLAT and perfect contact with CPU. You can tell by the shape outline. Because the contact was so good, the paste did not "Oxidize" and crystalize on the heatsink or CPU and remained good. those are nicely flat heatsinks.

But MSI has been known to make worse heatsinks.

Look:
    Can't you tell this heatsink is worse quality machined? Compare it to Judal's heatsink!!!!
    149rwag.jpg

gt73vr-heatsink-1 (1).jpg

if the contact is bad (core temp difference >3C, without AVX or FMA3 instruction test), then it will become worse with time, just like regular paste (except IC diamond).

I would use 3 coats of nail polish over CPU SMD resistors on the green BGA package. Same thing (even more important!!!!) if you want to LM the GPU's too. If you do the 3 coats of nail polish (let it harden for 5-10 minutes after each coat), you won't need to use the "Kapton tape" or "Super 33+" tape, because the nail polish does the same job.

I also prefer to use foam dams around the CPU for 'extra' protection, very compressible, very light, must compress down to a MICROMETER with your fingers!!! and you can 'attach' them to the BGA housing with dot of nail polish at each corner too: Foam dams are NOT TO BE USED IN PLACE OF NAIL POLISH OVER SMD RESISTORS, but IN ADDITION TO IT--foam dams are insurance to 'trap' any extra LM fully inside the CPU or GPU area, it cannot penetrate the dams.

Here is an example of a foam dam cut out in the shape of the CPU.

foamdam.jpg

As far as correct foam, the left side is BAD FOAM, this is TOO THICK, will add too much resistance and interfere with heatsink pressure! RIGHT SIDE is correct foam. There may be other variations of this foam too (like, darker color) but importance is density. Must be very very lightly dense, very compressible to micrometer with fingers:

bad_and_good_foam.jpg

5. thebigbadchef

thebigbadchef Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Thanks @Falkentyne . My last (and first LM repaste) was done with both nail polish and super33+ tape.

I remember an older post of yours saying the tape can actually increase temp by 1-2 C (small variation but you never know).

I guess the best way to find out if I have flat copper surfaces on my heatsinks is to open it up and see how the LM is doing after 3 months.

I might wait for it to reach 5 months and do a repaste (just to see how the copper heatsinks look like). Fingers crossed they are proper flat heatsinks that sit on CPU/GPUs properly leaving no angled gaps.

6. Ardiem

Ardiem Newbie

Reputations:
    Hey guys! I recently got my GT83VR through the GT80 trade in program (I only have the 1070's, so I'm not sure I should even post here.) Much to my dismay, it didn't come with an SSD installed, instead having two large standard drives. As you can all imagine, it's just way too slow for my tastes and I've purchased some SSDs to install.

My question is twofold, first if there's an internal blueprint/schematic anywhere available so I know where everything is (just because I think it's cool), and second...the important question, is how do I go about entirely cloning the boot drive to the SSDs? Will it preserve the factory reset partition? Any must-have programs to help with the process? This is the first time I'll have attempted anything of the sort so any help you could provide would be awesome.

Donald@HIDevolution and hmscott like this.
  7. Falkentyne

Falkentyne Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    @Ardiem Just youtube or google GT83VR disassembly. Should be some guides.
    And Macrim Reflect can image drives (if the destination partition size is larger than the source, i don't know how to resize partitions though).

8. hmscott

hmscott Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    Not sure how to answer this, but there isn't room in the laptop for 2 standard 2.5" HDD drives, so if you are seeing 2 partitions as mounted volumes, it's all from 1 2.5" drive. :)

There are 3 M.2 slots on top under the top panel just below the screen, there are screws on the bottom of the laptop, one under the "void if removed" sticker, that need to be removed first, then you can slide the top panel to the right and it lifts off. The M.2 drives are just left of center, although this has changed over model release's I think yours has 2 there and one further right to the left of the 2.5" bay (single 2.5" bay).

If you bought 2.5" SSD's, one will fit, but you will want to use the MSI BurnRecovery to make a bootable flash recovery thumb drive - 32GB USB 3.0 (don't get 2.0 or 1.0, they are too slow), and create the backup.

Then I'd also get used to using Macrium Reflect to make a image of the boot drive (all partitions) as you update and install new software, maybe a new image after every install session of note - so you can restore from it if something goes wrong.

Please keep us up to date on what you do. :)

Note: As @NuclearLizard points out there is a slim 7mm optical drive slot too, and if you pull that optical drive out you can fit a 2nd 2.5" HDD, but it's not a standard configuration and wouldn't come that way from MSI.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2018
  9. NuclearLizard

NuclearLizard Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    You got it right, under the panel it should be some m.2 Nvme drives and the 2.5 inch Sata.

I brought it up way long ago, I wanted to swap the optical drive for an ssd in the bay but I think it was on a different controller or not the same speed.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

Donald@HIDevolution and hmscott like this.
  10. hmscott

hmscott Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    Yup, the optical is Sata 1.5...I think that's how it shows up in hardware inventory programs, not SATA 3. It's about 250MB/sec vs 550MB/sec.