***The Official MSI GT83VR Titan SLI Owner's Lounge (NVIDIA GTX-1080's)***

Discussion in 'MSI Reviews & Owners' Lounges' started by -=$tR|k3r=-, Aug 13, 2016.

1. C.T.

C.T. Newbie

Reputations:
    That makes sense. I haven't seen one in person, but it does seem quite the beast from a size and weight perspective. Not a huge deal for me considering it will live on a desk for 95% of its life.

I was originally going to go with the GT73VR, but interestingly enough, the GT83 ended up being a couple hundred bucks cheaper which swayed my decision.

Yea, honestly that gorgeous keyboard was a factor. I'll definitely throw up a review at some point. Funny you mention repasting, I really enjoy tinkering and was considering ordering some TG Conductonaut along with a big cooling pad. I've got some more reading to before then though, so if longevity of the liquid metal pastes is an issue I'll pick up something else.

I'll admit, my desire for the Eurocom PSU is mostly to avoid having to deal with the two OEM adapters that come stock. I appreciate the information about the BIOS limit on power consumption, it makes sense that the system is hard limited to the total output of the adapters. I hadn't put two and two together.

Perhaps picking up another set of adapters as backup is a good idea. I suppose MSI would be the ones to contact about that.

Thank you for the warm welcome. This will be my first new system in almost a decade (I haven't even joined the world of SSDs yet) so I'm really looking forward to getting my hands on it. The 3 day wait is going to drive me nuts!

I'm also looking forward to experimenting on my old ASUS once its relieved from primary service!

hmscott likes this.
  2. Falkentyne

Falkentyne Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    You can change the GT83VR power consumption limit from 460W to 720W by increasing the value in EC RAM register E3, in RW Everything, by a value of 1. That's ONLY if the 1070 and 1080 GT83VR SLI use the EXACT SAME BIOS AND EC FIRMWARE.

You'll never exceed 400W anyway, under any conditions (115W TDP + 115W TDP=230W, rest of the system cannot draw 170W). You would only need to change the EC RAM Register if you went around TDP modding your 1070 videocards to something like 150W per card or higher.

3. knibbler

knibbler Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Going through alot of these posts as I learn more about the GT83. Its important to straighten out some things .
    The machine operates on one 330w psu just fine for single GPU applications. In my bedroom I use it that way for movies etc.

4. hmscott

hmscott Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    Why is that a surprise? :)

I've even suggested traveling with a single 330w for the GT83 before... it's only if you are going to game with SLI active that you need both PSU's.

For the GT83 SLI 10701080 I don't think a single 230w would work, but I guess it's worth a try :)

5. johnnobts

johnnobts Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I have the 780 watt PSU and it works great with my 1070 version of the gt83vr. Would love to see a tutorial on increasing power limit?

I got it mostly bc eBay had it cheap and like one PSU rather than 2.

hmscott likes this.
  6. Falkentyne

Reputations:
    @johnnobts
    Just use RW Everything, and increase the value in EC RAM register E3, by one point. Assuming MSI didn't do something silly with the registers, this should change the power ID from 460W to 660W.
    You would only be able to find out if you exceed 460W of power draw and the CPU gets TDP throttled to 45W after 28 seconds of sustained power draw..

In the GT73VR, the 230W and 330W power ID's are 1 point apart (10 and 11, and 90 and 91).
    Seems like MSI changed something in the GT75VR because i saw an 80 and 91 in two different systems, rather than 90 and 91.

Kevin@GenTechPC likes this.
  7. johnnobts

johnnobts Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    If I'm using the program correctly and, then the E3 is 22, and I just need to increase it to 23, correct?

8. Falkentyne

Reputations:
    Yes, but this has been untested on the GT83VR.
    You would have to see if it works.
    If you get a 45W unavoidable TDP power limit at all times, with a value of 23, then that is not the right value.
    However, from what I have tested, values in the same 10's range as the original value, have the same TDP as the 'boot' value.

For example: On GT73VR: kaby lake, 90 is 230 W and 91 is 330W, 92 through 9F seem to all set 230W (the default value) while all other values from 00 through FF that are not 90-9F set 45W TDP with hybrid battery drain around 170W (basically, 230W limit, which "can" be exceeded, but with 45W hard CPU TDP power cap on the CPU at all times). For skylake version its 10=230W, 11=330W.

On the GT75VR, 91 is still 330W, but now I saw an 80 in someone's EC RAM. I don't know if 80 is for the GTX 1060 card version or for the 1070 card version.

9. johnnobts

johnnobts Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    sorry, total neophyte on this sort of thing. Before I change the value any risk of this killing my laptop? also, a way to test to see if it worked?

10. Falkentyne

Reputations:
    There's no risk in such thing. Doesn't 'change anything except how much power the laptop can draw before it throttles the CPU back. And why would you even need to change this value? Are you getting CPU TDP throttling to 45W when gaming or something with both video cards in use?