***The Official MSI GT83VR Titan SLI Owner's Lounge (NVIDIA GTX-1080's)***

Discussion in 'MSI Reviews & Owners' Lounges' started by -=$tR|k3r=-, Aug 13, 2016.

1. Falkentyne

Falkentyne Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    You can't unlock the TDP on a locked CPU.

2. hmscott

hmscott Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    The top end HQ CPU's in the GT80 series have unlocked multiplier, it's limited in OC ability without other unlocked options, like power limits - you can check what is adjustable in XTU. You can't unlock the power limits, but you can do a few things to tune the CPU.

XTU will only have sliders or switches or boxes for editing for items the CPU supports - it's made by Intel so they have open controls available for each CPU.

Some of the newer GT8X laptops have BIOS settings for OC'ing, changing the multiplier, so if you haven't been in the BIOS check that out too. It's easier to tune it in XTU first and then you can set the multipliers and undervolt in BIOS - negative offset is tricky in the BIOS maybe someone that's done it can post how they did it.

Svet has an BIOS unlock and unlocked BIOS for GT8X, look him up on the MSI Forums.

MSI Global English Forum > MSI GAMING > GAMING Notebooks > Private Custom Modified BIOS'ses & EC-FW
    https://forum-en.msi.com/index.php?board=51.0

Post there or PM Svet directly asking for the unlock code and unlocked BIOS for your model, he will want a donation, which is up to you for amount. :)

I OC'd my 5950HQ to 4.0ghz stable day to day and 4.1ghz/4.2ghz OC for benchmarking - they required positive voltage offset added to be stable and naturally ran hotter than undervolted speeds.

You can also set a multiplier like 3.5ghz or 3.6ghz on all 4 cores and that should run without power throttling on long CPU jobs - I used that with a larger undervolt than stock speed for batch jobs. For me 3.5ghz was best. That's the limit for 45w TDP power limit.

There is flexibility for tuning your HQ CPU, far more so than the 6700HQ which only lets you do undervolting, for example.

Have fun :)

Last edited: Nov 18, 2017
    NuclearLizard likes this.
  3. daandi

daandi Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Thanks for responding ... But two of your quotes contradict themselves a bit, or what do I misunderstand there?

4. thebigbadchef

thebigbadchef Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hi everyone - I am slowly going crazy :(.

Got myself the MSI Gt83 6RF (1070 sli + i7 6820hk). All good until I've tried to enable sli and play games and laptop will keep on restarting itself with SLI enabled just 30 seconds after starting a game (dota 2, pubg, tera online, black desert online).

They all work fine with sli disabled.

I checked to see if both gpus are being recognized. GPU Z says they're both there and it also mentions (SLI ENABLED - HIGH BANDWIDTH).

I cannot seem to be able to keep SLI enabled - I have tried everything:
    -keeping CPU/GPU clocks stock
    -using different nvidia drivers, I ve used pretty much all versions since 373 (about 25 installations!)

I am using windows 10 64 bit (which I am not a big fan of but msi hasn't got drivers for win 7).

Temps are all good on both sli/single gpu. Monitored temps just before system restarts and it is well within the 75C area.

Could this issue be OS related?

I have both power bricks plugged in. Was thinking that perhaps 2x330W isnt enough...was thinking I may need the allmighty Eurocom 780W adapter which has same 4 pin plug.

Runnin out of ideas.

Anyone here that had the same issue? Please let me know how to fix this.

I am about to rip this thing apart and check to see if the connecting ribbon is there and well connected - although GPUs are being recognized by the system so I'm not sure thats the issue.

Thanks.

Last edited: Nov 28, 2017
  5. NuclearLizard

NuclearLizard Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Sounds like one of your cards is dying or an issue with a mobo, the 2x330 should be enough as that's what I use.

The only thing I could think of is check the nvidia panel to make sure your power settings are set to adaptive or max performance.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

6. thebigbadchef

thebigbadchef Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Fixed my own issue. It wasnt an actual issue just the way nvidia has the 2 gpus configured.

Had to change SLI Rendering mode from "Nvidia Recommended" to 1 of the 3 options: Single Card / 1rf / 2rf.

Now what i dont understand is: I have tried all these 3 options and pc doeesnt crash anymore....how come that in the same dropdown "Nvidia Recommended" crashes pc everytime I start a game.

Checked sli compatible games just to make sure and both gpus now working. Games that would give me 80 fps on 1 gpu now give me around 130 which is more than I wanted.
    Fixed it by changing the Sli rendering mode from automated to any other option in the dropdown.

hmscott and NuclearLizard like this.
  7. daandi

Reputations:
    I just noticed that the NVME SSDs (Samsung 951) in Intel Raid are seemingly very slow... slow response rates (averaging 400-600 ms). I updated to the latest Intel RST driver. I see no options (not in BIOS either) to specifically select NVME anywhere, so I assume that Intel RST encapsulates that correctly. Disk is often at 100%. Norton Antivirus is uninstalled. Defender is deactivated...

I have other devices with NVME SSDs and they are blazing away... am I missing anything? A simple setting or an obvious thing to fix?

8. NuclearLizard

NuclearLizard Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Hmmm, not sure do you have Xboost in msi dragon center still installed?

I had issues with my nvme due to it.

Also might be the drives themselves, I think they throttle after awhile.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

9. bennyg

bennyg Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    I would try a clean and reinstall of the drivers with DDU. Fixing a crash issue by not using the nvidia determined "best" sli profile across multiple games isn't normal at all, it's a symptom not a cause...

10. daandi

Reputations:
    Does anybody have the partitioning information for the D: drive available on 1TB D: drive configurations? (For the HDD).
    a) is it GPT or MBR?
    b) which exact(!) partitions are there? Can someone export the configuration in a tool that is "reimportable"? I accidentally removed all partitions when clicking on "storage spaces" in Windows settings and want to restore the original setup.