***The Official MSI GT83VR Titan SLI Owner's Lounge (NVIDIA GTX-1080's)***

Discussion in 'MSI Reviews & Owners' Lounges' started by -=$tR|k3r=-, Aug 13, 2016.

1. daandi

daandi Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Wow ... that's a lot of stuff. As for the "most normal USA configurations" - it is a US based refurb and I assume it is a fairly normal built.
    I could try to buy a GTV83VR with the 6820HK and GTX1070 for $1900 and make a Frankenstein moving the GTX1080 to the other notebook and vice versa.

As for the 6820HK vs 6920HQ - there are some posts that claim that the silicon for the 6820HK tested worse than for the 6920HQ - but not sure if I misunderstood that.

Lucky for me gaming is not my main use case but software developing is (VR, Mixed Reality) and I do travel a lot and need to be able to do the demo of what was built on the road. The scenarios I target will hopefully not be so CPU bound. Main function of the notebook is to be able to go in a piece of luggage on a plane more easily than carrying a desktop box and still have high performance.

I would enjoy hacking the system and unlocking it further - but for now I guess I will stick with what it provides :) I don't think I want to say bye-bye to my warranty right away.

hmscott likes this.
  2. Falkentyne

Falkentyne Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    I would not get a 6820HK system at this point in time if you were buying new. The 7820HK overclocks quite a bit better. My opinion is to either get that, or wait for the 6 core systems to come out and grab one of those. The 6820HK was known to come from atrociously bad bins. The 7820HK didn't fare much better, but the master silicon itself was better binned, so you get better overall results with the 7820HK.

The bin system was something like:
    1) 7700K (top bin).
    2) 7700 (failed 7700K bins)
    3) 7820HK (failed 7700 bins)
    4) (some UV CPU or other low tier kaby lake bin here)
    5) 7700HQ (trash tier bin).

Unknown where the 7820HQ and 7920HQ fit in here.

If you do wind up getting a GTX 1070+7820HK configuration and TDP modding it (the GT73VR can handle 185W directly through the MXM slot, but I would highly recommend you repad the VRM's with arctic (1mm) thermal pads, and repaste the GPU, you need to have the 330W PSU available, and in order to avoid the "230W CPU throttling EC limit" (Power limit 2 CPU throttling if 230W is bypassed), you need to change the powerID to the GTX 1080 ID. (for 6820hk systems, this is a value of "11" in EC RAM register E3 for 7820HK systems, this is a value of 91 in register E3. Takes 3 clicks to change that in RWEverything. You can also write your own batch file and .RW configuration together, to change it each boot by running a .bat file.

The MSI cancer firmware imposes power restrictions based on the video card that is installed and detected at POST time, if the MSI mainboard allows multiple video card configurations (the MS-17A1 and MS-17A2, and whatever is used in the GT83VR, are the only ones which allow that). A simple EC RAM register change as above can bypass that. No one on these forums has tested if the CPU gets throttled if 330W is exceeded on a 1080 system, or 460W on a 1070 SLI system, or 660W on a 1080 SLI system.

3. daandi

Reputations:
    I am not buying new as I pointed out. I am buying refurbished. :)
    The 7820HK systems I could find are over $1000 more expensive (even refurbished). I have not seen any 7xxx system with GTX1080 SLI to go for $3000 or with GTX1070 SLI to go for less than $2000 - which is the range I am buying for.
    I would have been able to find a 7820HK and GTX1080 SLI system probably for $4200+

hmscott likes this.
  4. daandi

Reputations:
    I have been unable to find any information yet on the startup keys/boot keys - other than that "del" gets me into BIOS... but how about "diagnostics/self test", "recovery", "boot selection" (not permanent boot sequence change but just one-off-boot selection)?
    Any hint? I tried various Fkeys, searched around... nothing yet.

Last edited: Nov 15, 2017
  5. Kevin@GenTechPC

Kevin@GenTechPC Company Representative

Reputations:
    Besides the DEL key (Enter BIOS), there's F11 for Boot Menu.
    MSI does not have diagnostics/self-test/recovery functions tied to any hotkeys.

daandi likes this.
  6. daandi

Reputations:
  7. daandi

Reputations:
    Sorry to bombard the forum with questions... so I have my GT83VR here, updated to the latest Windows 10 (Fall Creator's update), updated Nvidia drivers, tried to run the "Heaven Benchmark" that seems to have been preinstalled... but receive tons of crashes in any DX11 tests. No overclocking or any other shenanigans done.
    Feel discouraged - or is that a known issue.
    What's the best "all around" free diagnostic/test/benchmark you can recommend in November 2017?

8. daandi

Reputations:
    6920HQ and GTX1080-SLI combination here. trying to improve performance (as in speed, but also thermal) at first without any hardware mods or repasting/thermal pads (I only did that twice years and years ago and never liked it, never felt I was good at it).
    Searching the forums for keywords so far did not get me far. Overclocking tips seem to be sprinkled around and what I read about is not really getting me started well.
    Any reading recommended for this type of notebook?
    Overclocking with Dragon Center, installed latest version - I see different settings in "Turbo" compared to what I see in a YouTube video - even though it is the same hardware configuration.
    I do not see multipliers per active core count, only see "Core Clock Offset" and "VRAM Clock Offset". Is there a different version I should be using?
    What is the "unlocked BIOS" (well, in theory I know what it is, but I mean specifically for this notebook) that I hear a few people talking about and where to find it?
    I found only two posts in another forum where the response was "direct message me". For the graphics card I understand that the VBIOS is a hard-mod, and not easy to do...
    so I will leave the GTX1080 cards in peace for a bit.

CPU - Where am I at?
    --------------------
    Really could use a "guide to read through" about all this. I read probably over half of the 187 pages here in this thread (unfortunately at this time I am not sure what I read and what I did not :)). But did not find what I need yet. Again, searching for keywords so far was not lucky (can you search "within thread only"??? still didnt find that option)
    I tried playing around with XTU a bit. Currently I am at.
    41x for 1 core (stock 38x)
    39x for 2 cores (stock 36x)
    38x for 3 cores (stock 35x)
    37x for 4 cores (stock 34x)
    as suggested, I tried to undervolt - -0.100 undervolting seems to run kinda stable. Though FireStrike crashed twice. I tried e.g. -0.185 but that resulted in crashes quickly -
    even at stock speed. What are "good" undervolting numbers?
    I did not touch the "reference clock" in XTU (99.5MHz) - should I?
    And not sure what to do with Processor Core IccMax
    And the "Turbo Boost Short Power Max Enable", "Turbo Boost Power Max", "Turbo Boost Short Power Max", "Turbo Boost Power Time Window" (interesting enough without the word "short" in the name).
    Does still elude me if it is advisable to play with it. Interesting enough it seems it is set "stock" to 28 Seconds but XTU's slider rests on "0.250" seconds.
    It does not help that the "help file" of XTU seems to be out of sync with the application (seems to describe an older version?).
    I didn't touch the "Cache" and "Other" section at all. (should I?)
    I noticed that XTU sometimes seems to act a bit weird with some values when you switch around between Basic Tuning and Advanced tuning... e.g. the "System Agent IccMax" was 12.00 A, and suddenly the proposed value was displayed as 105.00 A (which happnes to be the "Cache IccMax").
    I am uploading what I "see" in XTU and would appreciate anybody who can chime in into what settings worked for you (balance between more performance and no throttling).
    Again, happy to read earlier stuff, but I really (maybe just bad luck browsing through the 187 pages) did not find things that seemed "actionable" to try.

I do not want to be spoon fed, but at this time I do not know where to continue researching effectively.
    [​IMG]

btw. where is the 0.250 seconds Turbo Boost Power Time Window "at Boot" coming from? Just to make sure that a system boots stable?

GPU:
    ----
    I did not play with MSI Afterburner yet. Wanted to get the CPU maxed out first as many suggested that the CPU is underpowered in many scenarios compared to the GPU.
    A suggested link to "best practices" on order of things to modify would be highly appreciated.

hmscott likes this.
  9. Falkentyne

Falkentyne Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    That CPU is locked. The core ratios cannot be increased past the default settings (41-37), and turbo time settings don't matter and turbo power limits cannot be increased past TDP except for 28 seconds.

10. daandi

Reputations:
    Thank you for your response.

Where do I find an unlocked BIOS (I think you were referring to that in an earlier post) to increase the TDP?

Now, both Dragon Center and XTU allow modifications of the other values... and they seem to result in something.

You would assume that XTU would not offer settings that have no effect?
    You wrote "default settings (41-37)", those numbers are not the default settings if I read it right. So, yes, I understand the 6920HQ is locked - still it seems that what can be done differs a bit from what I read in different sources (and there are subtle differences on how different sources describe it) - trying to find a good source..

hmscott likes this.